Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hd 400 Set Up Stategy? And A Few ?'s

mardelmonet

Just got a HD400. it's overwhelming.
What is a good strategy for setting this thing up?  I'm thinking just set a few core amp tones and going stomp mode?

but the pre/post thing is confusing. I know it's pre or post amp, but the volume difference is crushing. my mindset would be all pre. Engineers want all post control. but i like to hear what's coming out of the amp.

and can someone explain this row of master sag hum bias biasx? I get master, but bias? And the thing below it, DT class topology? ugh. i'm just a player, not a tech head.

Funny, it also has all the noise that used to come outta the Marshalls.. wow

Any input is greatly appreciated. 

Pre/post (and others) may depend on whether you are playing live into a guitar amp or PA, or just recording.  How are you planning to use it?

Most folks will tell you to start with a clean patch; pick an amp you like, and build out from there.

The presets are what I call "technology statements" for the most part, though there are a few that are clear nods to specific bands/players/songs.   (Don't ask me which ones, but a knowledgeable friend went through them and named them - I didn't take notes!)

I took a middle route, I think, which was to pick a few of the more sane tones, and figure out what they were, and modify from there.  I only use about a half dozen, usually less, though with the effects on/off that multiplies a bit, in terms of working sounds I use regularly.  (I play in a church, and just go direct to the PA.)

I don't fuss with the sag & bias settings, but have changed cabs/mics on a couple.  Makes me crazy with all the options - at some point, I'd rather just play :)

thanks for that. helpful. in looking at how some of the sounds i liked were set up, i kinda figured out he bias stuff. i don't know what it means, but there seems to be a consensus.

so, FX1 can ONLY be drive/pitch shift, but not a chorus?   i'd love to have phase AND chorus options on the fly.

my frustration yesterday was born of not being able to save anything to the POD. after a LOT of reading and digging, i discovered it had to be connected to a USB 2.0 port. made ALL the difference. but it's not explained well at all. i think LINE 6 Could save themselves a LOT of returns if they were clear about this very important tidbit.

thanks for that. helpful. in looking at how some of the sounds i liked were set up, i kinda figured out he bias stuff. i don't know what it means, but there seems to be a consensus.

so, FX1 can ONLY be drive/pitch shift, but not a chorus? i'd love to have phase AND chorus options on the fly.

my frustration yesterday was born of not being able to save anything to the POD. after a LOT of reading and digging, i discovered it had to be connected to a USB 2.0 port. made ALL the difference. but it's not explained well at all. i think LINE 6 Could save themselves a LOT of returns if they were clear about this very important tidbit.

The single effect family limit on the 400 is what drives most people to the 500. It may be worth the extra cash to get what you want. I almost pulled the trigger on a 400 until I read about that very same issue so I went 500. Worth considering.