Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Direct, unamplified guitar tracks for Native

Indianrock2020

I have Helix Floor but bought native mainly so I can load presets from CustomTone and elsewhere and view their setup without having to get out a guitar and fire up the floor unit every time.  Works fine for that.   I've installed the VST3 into Reaper and may also try Cakewalk.   I created a direct guitar track using an empty preset on my helix, running into an Audacity mono track.   This mp3 ( or wav ) works fine with Native/Reaper also but the tonal qualities aren't impressive using some of my normal Helix patches.    Would this simply be due to monitoring with headphones instead of the full range flat response powered speaker I normally use?   Or are there other "accommodations" you have to make in Native to get closer to "Floor" tonal quality?

How did you record your dry track from Helix? For best results you should use the Line 6 ASIO driver and select USB channel 7 (or is it 8?) as the Record Input Source. That channel sends the dry guitar signal directly over usb to your DAW, without going through the Helix preset. This setting is visble in Global Settings - Ins/Outs (see pg 50 in the manual - Re-amp Src).

I think Audacity, by default, uses a driver called ASIO4ALL which is not fully ASIO compliant and likely does not offer you the direct dry signal recording option. If you're using ASIO4ALL that may be the problem.

OTOH, it may just be the difference between headphones and FRFR as you suggest.

Helix connected to laptop over usb.  It was an empty Helix patch.   In Reaper I was using some $30 bluetooth headphones, but if they are the problem, it wasn't latency.  Seems a little better with better "hard wired" headphones.   Here's the file:

Random DI Guitar picking WAV file

I know some people play live with Helix Native.  I may have to try running the Reaper/Native signal out to a real speaker like my Alto TS212 to see how it does.    I'm not planning on using these "reaper/native" patches for gigging, just to reverse engineer other people's patches and be able to delve into every "knob" on every effect and amp without having to use the Floor rig and a guitar.  So the results of, say, twisting the SAG control on an amp in Native needs to give me at least some useful feedback.     I'm surprised that free DI ( unamplified ) guitar tracks are more easily found out on the net.

Speakers and headphones can make a big difference, dependent on quality and response (and volume, spacial effects, etc). If you have a decent audio interface for recording and your playback is the same for Helix and Native, things should sound close to identical. If you record using Helix as your interface things will be identical. This assumes levels are set correctly in your DAW and Native. You could always try those headphones with your Helix and compare. Or run your computer through your speakers. Try to keep the other variables the same. [Line 6 reports the firmware/software is identical between Native and the hardware....]