Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Would you like a new variax bass?  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like a new variax bass?

• Yes
    • No

Am a session musician and although I play lots of instruments I play bass most of the time, I have one of the new James Tyler variax guitars and I must say its a vast improvement and is one of my must have guitars I take it everywhere.

I personally would love you to do a new version of the variax bass to have one in my arsenal would make my life a lot more easy,

Would love to hear all of your thoughts on the idea and what it must have for example sounds and the desine of the bass ?

• Upvote 1

I own a 705 myself and I love it but it's not quite there for me but if they just took that little step forward it would be amazing

Am a big fan of jazz basses and also Warwick star basses I would love to see a wider range of basses and a nice thin neck and it must have 24 frets and I know it's a big thing to ask but try and keep it light

Proud owner of a 700 with a lowdown 175

I'd buy a new bass to have alt tuning and model change via hd500 but I won't pay 1500$ for thoses 2 features cause that bass already rock.

maybe they can sell to me a transplant kit instead ;)

I don't know if you remember but the 700 was supposed to have Workbench support but they dropped it without a word. It just never happened. This has always been a thorn in my side.  I should just let it go but whatever.  I don't think a new Variax bass will be coming.  Like I said they never gave the old one workbench support and essentially dumped it since there was no interest.  They ended it by giving away a Bass Pod XT (I'm assuming no one was buying these either) with the Variax bass.  To me it was obvious they were just clearing inventory.  I think bass players are a bit more fickle than guitar players and the bass didn't sell.  Given that experience I doubt they'll go into that area again.  I know some people are interested in a Variax bass.  I was and got one.  But the interest was severly lacking back then and I doubt that has changed.

It 's really too bad that there was not enough interest in the 700/705. I was going to snag one but they disappeared before I finally was able to buy one, just thought they would be around or a next version would be available before I picked one up. I kept hoping Line 6 would get a new generation back in the line up but I think Zap and brue58ski are correct. Plus the IdeaScale only has 40 votes for one. Either people stopped trying to get rid of them on eBay or the people who have them want to keep them (currently only one 705 w/ a BassPOD XT worldwide listed).

Given that I had to ship my JTV69K back to Line6 5 times to get the trem and neck problems fixed and had to send my X3L in as a test subject with one of the first USB Dropout issues they couldn't produce in the lab  - I'd willingly take the plunge and be willing to become an un officical Beta Tester/Guinea Pig if I had to to get one (4 or 5 string). Too bad there just isn't enough interest to persuade Line6 to go in that direction. It's funny because many people I've dealt with at Line6 from higher up marketing to support (like line6miller) are bass players.

What a shame.

Just my 2¢

• 2 weeks later...

you'd be in more total midi turf than modeling i think...

the physics of guitar strings vs bass strings make accurate modeling a stretch.

i've come up with a few "in a pinch" type sounds... but never anything accurate for bass tracking.

Why can't L6 just model a bass on the JTV line? Love my 59, but WOULD like the ability to duplicate (or even approach) the sound of my Washburn Force 5. Or, maybe, a Fender P5.

I voted no. Not to kill the idea but, in order to appeal to a wide audience it would likely be a "fender" based design. I keep a jazz around for gigs where they want to "see" a Fender bass. Otherwise I don't care for Fender/Musicman/G&L and all their bastard children so it would likely not appeal to me. I prefer non-fender neck shapes. I particularly like mid 2000s Warwicks with the baseball bat necks and they feel kindred to my uprights. I find thin necks very fatiguing. 

• 2 weeks later...

I signed up just so I could vote yes! :)

Do it, Line 6. The Variax bass was before it's time. Technology has advanced, you are wiser now in the bass making ways.

I think the people with a lot of gripes about the Variax bass tones, didn't actually own one. Most of the modelers were very accurate. Maybe not 100% but darn close. 

I'd buy an updated 705 with less battery fuss in a heartbeat. 

• 3 months later...

I'm more of a hobbyist musician. I play several instrument, but mostly guitar. I've been looking for a versatile bass for laying down tracks and to just have around my home studio. A kind of all purpose, get it done kid of thing, but not have all my bass tracks sound the same as I do lots of sound experimentation. The Variax bass seems to be perfect for my purpose. I would buy one right now if they were like the James Tyler version guitars with workbench support and modern styling.  

By the way I love my Variax bass (705) and Bass Pod XT. I was surprised that they had to drop it because the recorded sound is awesome in my opinion,  And I thought the live sound was pretty good too. If you can try one out you should.  But I just think there is some kind of stigma around a bass guitar sim, and to a lesser degree bass amp sims.  I've run across a lot of people with it.

you'd be in more total midi turf than modeling i think...

the physics of guitar strings vs bass strings make accurate modeling a stretch.

i've come up with a few "in a pinch" type sounds... but never anything accurate for bass tracking.

Nah man. synthesis/sampling is no fun, it'll limit what you can do with your guitar extremely. 

I found a bass patch for my Variax and it sounds pretty nice. Pretty convincing in a mix. The only problem is that the treble is muddy as hell. 

I strongly say a new Variax bass though. Would be killer.

• 3 months later...

If they EVER do come up with a new bass, please do alternate tunings with it. I don't know how reliable down tuning on the old Variax basses were, but I know that tuning down significantly on a Variax makes it sound bad because lack of tension on the piezos. I'm not sure how much upping the gauge fixes that though. 

Has anyone physically tuned their Variax pretty low and got good sounds?

• 2 months later...

Hello, I am new here and just landed due to my search for a Variax Bass. I came from guitar, have also a Variax and I like the possible options.

Since 2 years I am addicted to Bass playing and use the Line 6 HD400; reason for me to buy was. I had no clue what type of bass amp might fit to my taste (as I was Bass virgin) so with the HD400 I have a wide range of various bass models.

With the Bass I start with a cheap Squier and now, after being sure to continue bass playing, I would add a Variax Bass to have the same flexibility like with the Variax guitar.

Perfect would be a Tyler PJ Bass with the Variax hard/software; I am sure that this kind of bass would find its customers!

Is there a chance to release such a Tyler Variax bass on the market?

best regards

Juergen

• 2 months later...

Hell Yes!!! C'mon Line 6! It's about time!!! I'm pretty sure a JTV-like Variax Bass would find a good market for its own - among music producers, home studio owners, gigging musicians... I have a JTV 69 model (wich I love, btw) and would certainly buy a Bass companion for it (if you guys choose to update that too). Pretty sure there's a lot of other guys out there waiting for such thing to happen. What are you waiting for?! :P

Hello, I am new here and just landed due to my search for a Variax Bass. I came from guitar, have also a Variax and I like the possible options.

Since 2 years I am addicted to Bass playing and use the Line 6 HD400; reason for me to buy was. I had no clue what type of bass amp might fit to my taste (as I was Bass virgin) so with the HD400 I have a wide range of various bass models.

With the Bass I start with a cheap Squier and now, after being sure to continue bass playing, I would add a Variax Bass to have the same flexibility like with the Variax guitar.

Perfect would be a Tyler PJ Bass with the Variax hard/software; I am sure that this kind of bass would find its customers!

Is there a chance to release such a Tyler Variax bass on the market?

best regards

Juergen

Don't hold you're breath. The interest isn't there. Just look at how few people voted. They're going to need more than 40 people to express interest. Alot more. I'm still adding my yes vote but not counting on it.

Registering on a forum to place a vote is a barrier to the process. A small barrier, to be certain, but a barrier nonetheless.

Perhaps one way to get a worthwhile vote would be to crank up the tools that made the 705, and do a limited production run. To me 1,000 moved units would be a pretty good indication of market acceptance. I know I'd snap one up.

Here's a list of the basses modeled found here
http://line6.com/legacy/variaxbass700:
- you can also DL the old manual to see photos and the descriptions - they did 2 acoustics = a plywood Kay upright and a 2003 Tacoma Thunderchief.

Variax Bass 700 Models based on*:

• 1961 Fender® Jazz Bass®
  • 1960 Fender® Jazz Bass® with flatwound strings
  • 2004 Fender® Deluxe Jazz Bass®
  • Fretless 1961 Fender® Jazz Bass®
  • 1963 Fender® Precision Bass®
  • 1958 Fender® Precision Bass® with flatwound strings
  • 1977 Music Man® Sting Ray®
  • 2003 Modulus® Flea Bass
  • 1971 Rickenbacker® 4001
  • 1963 Rickenbacker® 4001 with flatwound strings
  • 1966 Danelectro® Longhorn Bass
  • 1963 Höfner® Model 500/1 with flatwound strings
  • 1963 Gibson® Thunderbird 4
  • 1966 Gibson® EB-2D with flatwound strings
  • 2002 MTD® 535 35-inch scale
  • 2003 Warwick® Thumb
  • 1978 Alembic Long Scale
  • 1984 Steinberger® XL2
  • 1968 Hagström® H8
  • 1994 Hamer® B12A
  • 2003 Tacoma® Thunderchief
  • 1949 Kay® M-1
  • Inspired by classic Moog MiniMoog bass sounds
  • Inspired by modern bass synth sounds

• 2 weeks later...

As for "interest" -- I'd draw your attention to the current prices for a 705; if you can find one in good shape, the cost is going to be healthy. Far better than, say, that for a used 500 guitar. I wouldn't object to the electronics finding their way into a neck-through Carvin or something of the ilk as well as into the usual PJ type bass.

Several things have changed since the 700 bass series was introduced. Bass players are more open to flat response-full range speaker systems (fEARful/fEARless/BarefacedBass, etc.) -- new LF driver designs have something to do with that. And modeling has become ever more accepted than when the 700 basses were pushed out into a hostile world.

• 8 months later...

As a proud 705 Variax Bass owner, absolutely yes, sir!. :lol:

This time I would prefer a modern look, maybe somewhat similar to the Ibanez SR series, with thin neck, lighter body and preferably in amber finish.  :wub:

I agree, but it would probably look more like the Yamaha BB424X or BB425X seeing as Yamaha is now a part of Line 6.

18966_12001_1.jpg35299_12001_1.jpg

• 2 years later...

I guess I'm 3 years late for the party, but I just want to say that I have recently bought a Variax Standard and I'm using it as a substitute for my bass because it's just so damn versatile! But it can't replace a bass completely, which is why I WOULD LOVE a new Variax bass! Something akin to the Shuriken would be badass! 

Pretty please? 

I guess I'm 3 years late for the party, but I just want to say that I have recently bought a Variax Standard and I'm using it as a substitute for my bass because it's just so damn versatile! But it can't replace a bass completely, which is why I WOULD LOVE a new Variax bass! Something akin to the Shuriken would be badass! 

Pretty please? 

Well, like you said, it's been three years. The interest just isn't there. They pretty much took a bath the last time they did a Variax bass. Wound up selling them and the unsold Bass XT's as a package deal at the end just to get rid of them.

Well, like you said, it's been three years. The interest just isn't there. They pretty much took a bath the last time they did a Variax bass. Wound up selling them and the unsold Bass XT's as a package deal at the end just to get rid of them.

Man, that's heartbreaking. Well, maybe if my band gets as famous as Twelve Foot Ninja (yeah, as if that'll ever happen) I'll force them to revive it! :D 

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/23/2020 at 8:11 PM, chrisparks1 said:

Still waiting or have they given up on this project. I have an original but would love a updated version.  

I would say you can't give up what you don't start, and no new Variax bass project was ever started at Line 6 to give up. It's just not going to happen. Not enough interest.

• 7 months later...