Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Power amp section ONLY

lkaplan

I have a Blackstar HT-20 with an fx send and return. I've used the HD500X in my amp via traditional FX loop, 4 cable method (4CM), and straight. I've heard you can also use the HD500X as the preamp and use your amp's power section only. I've seen a few threads on this well. Can someone please explain the exact routing as far as cables go in order to use just the power amp section of my amp. Please dont jsut say FX return to....please state which device as well. It seems simple enough but I'm missing something ...

Thanks!

I do this with a Marshall JCM900 and Marshall 1936 2x12 cab.  I use the pre-version of the amp model, turn off the mic and cabs.  I place a reverb and delay after the pre-amp model then run the 1/4" output to the FX return of the Marshall.  Make sure you have the PODHD Master volume turned up as you can't save this in the preset.  You can't use your tone controls on the amp so you must EQ it on the PODHD.  It's a fairly easy setup to work with.

At least with the Marshall amp, once you plug into the FX return without anything in the FX send it disables the Marshall's pre-amp section completely.  It becomes a power amp with only the Marshall's Master Volume left working.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your input Joel. I tried this setup and I got no sound at all out of the amp. Is this something that works on some amps and not others or should it worked across the board? Wondering if there's some kind of defeat on Blackstar amps or something that would prevent me doing what seems like a simple setup. Turned up all the controls as well. It's a 20 watt tube amp so thinking it should work.

You shouldn't need to turn on the FX loop block in the HD the way I set it up.  I'm using the HD 1/4" outputs right into the power amp.  Sounds like something on the power amp needs to be turned on or up.  Can you send a picture of the the back of your power amp where the FX loop is ?

GTR->HD500 GTR Input

HD500 1/4" Main OUT (L or R) -> HT20 FX Loop RETURN

IMPORTANT: Dummy plug in the HT20 instrument input.

Make sure the HD500 is set for Line Level and the HT40 is also Line Level. I think that is +4 button on the back. As I recall, the HT20 Standby switch in built into the instrument input...basically, if you pull the HT20 input it goes to standby instead of having a conventional standby switch. To get around this, put a dummy plug in the instrument input and wire as indicated above. This is likely why you got no sound when you tried it.

• 1 month later...