Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix+ Powercab Plus effects routing question

zombie2473

Sorry if this is a dumb question...

so i have a helix and a powercab and I commonly put my reverbs after the amp in the signal chain. Using the helix without the powercab that makes sense as it would be after the cab block. It occurred to me that since I’m using the modeling in the powercab, That there’s no cab block on the helix. Does that mean that I’m technically putting the reverb in between the amp and the “cab block” so to speak, or am I just overthinking this and routing it this way is the same as putting the reverb after the cab block? If it is like putting it in between the amp and the cab, how would I route this using my setup so the rever is “after” the amp (powercab amp modeling)?

Impulse responses are linear, so it should matter too much whether the effects are between the amp and cab block or after the cab block. Stereo/mono limitations are probably more of a factor. I think the Powercab Plus's ability to have speaker models that are (I think) just EQ to change one guitar speaker to sound like another, is the real advantage of Powercab. You get amp in the room because Powercab is based on a guitar speaker, not a PA speaker, and doesn't need a mic model to sound like a guitar speaker.

• 1 year later...

It depends. If there are no distortion blocks and the amp is run clean, then the signal path is liners and it shouldn’t make much difference where tone shaping blocks are placed. However things change drastically when distortion is introduced since the signal path is no longer linear. Thing before distortion will sound very different after distortion.

I generally keep everything after the amp linear, avoiding pushing any delay, reverb, modulation, etc. blocks that typically go after amp into distortion. I want all the distortion to be controlled by the gain staging in front of and into the amp so its more predictable and controllable. 

zombie2473

To answer the question you asked:

There is no poweramp modelling in the Powercab, only speaker modelling..  The power amp modeling is part of the amp bock. Therefore, the reverb is always going to be after the poweramp modelling if its after the amp block..