Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

helix won't record to protools

dyln653

yes all my inputs and outputs are correct on the helix and on my DAW tracks

yes I've read page 46 of the manual

when I hit record my DAW doesn't pick up any signal

it recognizes my helix but doesn't record any signal from my helix 

I know my helix works because I monitor using really high quality headphones and I use it for the output on my Mac when I want to play a song with the track in the background on youtube 

so why won't it record ? 

13 minutes ago, antonio1961 said:

Maybe something as simple as enabling input monitoring on the track you are recording on.

Unless ProTools is incredibly poorly configured, there should be no reason to enable track monitoring in the program with the Helix as the soundcard.

I'm guessing something isn't working between ProTools and the Helix as far as drivers or something. If you're on a PC, make sure you're using the Helix Drivers and not Windows/ASIO4ALL (the helix will show up on some systems with other than L6 drivers) and if you're on Mac I've heard some people needing the Mac driver for best use, even though technically it shouldn't be necessary. 

Yep...sounds like a configuration issue in Protools.  Somewhere you have to tell Protools which channel to record of the several channels being provided from the USB output.  If you've read the manual you know there are several channels such as dry channels and wet channels.  Tell Protools which one you want armed to the track you're recording.

I can give you more details when I’m at my computer but basically setting it up in PT is a three step process. 

1.  Under setup -> playback engine, make sure you’ve chosen the helix. I usually set the buffer all the way up here since you will be monitoring the helix directly so latency won’t affect you. 

2.  In setup -> I/O, you will may need to default the input, output, and bus pages.  Simply go to each tab and click default

3.  Make sure you’ve created an audio track in either mono or stereo and that you have I/O shown for each track.  I’ll have to double check but make sure either inoutv1 or 1/2 are selected. You can also record the dry signal if you want on channel 7/8. 

4.  Record enable the traffic and you should see signal. This is where I would normally mute the track so you aren’t hearing it twice. I’ve had weird results in PT with low latency monitoring enabled and still hearing the track when recording do I just do both now. 

I just saw the end of your post about being able to listen to YouTube. On a Mac, (sorry can’t help on windows) your system default sound card has nothing to do with Pro Tools. You generally specify your output device using Setting -> Sound -> Output tab.  Sounds like this is configured correctly for using the helix as your system audio device. Again, the problem is this has no control over Pro Tools. For Pro Tools, you need to select the audio device specifically under Setup -> Playback Engine.