Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Auto Swell

TLF2007

I've had the Helix Floor a few years. I love it. It's great especially since I may have to play multi -instruments through it during a gig. But I'm struck again by how difficult it is to get an easy, intuitive, Auto-Swell out of the thing. I was reminded when I was playing around with a RP 360 XP I got for my daughter to gig with and how intuitive and quick it was to find and tweak that effect in the RP. 

• Upvote 2

I can't say I use auto swell that often, but when I have it didn't seem that daunting at all.  There's not much in what you said to diagnose why it might be different for you.  I will say getting it to sound right requires the right playing technique in order to get the effect to respond appropriately, but it all seemed quite natural to me.

• Upvote 1

I play P&W on an HX Effects and I have tried a few different methods for swells and auto volume. the auto-swell setting alone is okay but I find playing it you have to strum mute and strum again to get a good swell between chords.. My current go to is "adrianic swell" delay combined with a full mix reverb to get the swell to be smooth.

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...

Auto swell on the helix is garbage, especially compared to the likes of all the other reverb/delay pedals out there; not intuitive at all!  I bought this Helix acouple of years ago and have tried all the old/new swell pedals, settings & placements within the chain and still not worth it - in my case - to use. I always end up going back to either just using the pedal but more times than not, the guitar volume knob.  With all the very well thought of & responsive effects they've been able to put in the Helix, the auto swell is definitely the poorest out of any. I'm sure they'll be able to fix the current ones or at least come up with something new some day.

Now to play devils advocate, the current setting i have with the adriatic swell is the best i could get it but it always ends up either not playing a note no matter how hard i hit it or if I dampen one notes swell, it'll play the next as if no swell was used at all.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Any luck with that so far? 

I'm really considering returning the unit back because this effect along the a good delay is a must have for my live gigs.

I was using rp360 xp, and to get a great swell it was no brainer.

Before that I had mooer slow engine which did the job excelent. HX FX has got 3 or 4 options for swells and none is doing the job right 

5 hours ago, sale80 said:

Any luck with that so far? 

I'm really considering returning the unit back because this effect along the a good delay is a must have for my live gigs.

I was using rp360 xp, and to get a great swell it was no brainer.

Before that I had mooer slow engine which did the job excelent. HX FX has got 3 or 4 options for swells and none is doing the job right 

The Legacy Auto Volume Echo has always worked wonderfully for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...
2 hours ago, sale80 said:

Yeah....it does the job pretty good, but it swells in very sudden. Hope l6 will do something with that autoswell in future

You can change the speed at which it comes by adjusting the Ramp parameter. It's a Legacy effect, so I don't think they'll be changing that algorithm. I've never really had an issue with it coming in too soon. I've been using it since the DL4 days.

• 1 month later...

I'm struggling with the legacy Auto Swell in the Helix Floor, too. I have an EHX Attack/Decay in one of the FX loops, and that's working great, but I was hoping to emulate some of that functionality with Helix effects alone. I can't get the Auto Swell to ramp up in any predictable way; it's like it's not resetting or something.

12 minutes ago, marcbenigni said:

I'm struggling with the legacy Auto Swell in the Helix Floor, too. I have an EHX Attack/Decay in one of the FX loops, and that's working great, but I was hoping to emulate some of that functionality with Helix effects alone. I can't get the Auto Swell to ramp up in any predictable way; it's like it's not resetting or something.

If you read the previous responses to this, it's pretty clear that you have to mute your sound to get the Autoswell to reset.  It's not that hard to do.  I just personally use hybrid picking with a pick and fingers and palm mute to get all the strings to swell together smoothly.

27 minutes ago, DunedinDragon said:

If you read the previous responses to this, it's pretty clear that you have to mute your sound to get the Autoswell to reset.  It's not that hard to do.  I just personally use hybrid picking with a pick and fingers and palm mute to get all the strings to swell together smoothly.

Yes, I've read the thread. I'm having the same issues even just testing, where there are several seconds of silence between notes. Sometimes there's no swell at all, and when there is it never seems proportional with the ramp time. I'll experiment a bit more tonight.

Just found Chuskey's video on the subject in another thread. This will probably set me straight. I suspect I was feeding the Auto Swell a signal without sufficient sustain of its own. If I put the Auto Swell behind an amp or compressor block, that should help.

youtube.com/watch?time_continue=601&v=tesAnQ8_CTs&feature=emb_logo

On 11/10/2019 at 12:20 AM, phil_m said:

You can change the speed at which it comes by adjusting the Ramp parameter. It's a Legacy effect, so I don't think they'll be changing that algorithm. I've never really had an issue with it coming in too soon. I've been using it since the DL4 days.

Check this video @ 10:35. 

This is what I can't get with hx effects. If you can dial this on l6, please be so kind and share the settings

• 1 year later...

I used the Legacy Auto-volume echo, and it worked good enough for me.

I am setting up a patch to play Van Halen's Cathedral off their Diver Down album, and I used several swell pedal so I don't have to roll my volume knob.

I plugged my favorite swell pedal in front of the HX so I could quickly A/B the pedal versus the HX effect, and I based my sound for swell of the TC Electronics Crescendo.  For reference, I have the sensitivity set at 8 o'clock and the attack is set at 2:30 o'clock.

I am going to attach my preset in case anyone want to try it out.  IF you just want me settings:

Time = 10ms, Feedbk = 12%, Depth = 100%

Swell  = 40%, Mix = 100%, Level = -1.0dB

Trails ON (don't think this matters)

I might make a YT vid to show this off, but it works well enough to get through the song.

Enjoy!

Dave

Cathedral.hlx

• 1 year later...
On 3/24/2021 at 9:02 PM, howarddavidp said:

I used the Legacy Auto-volume echo, and it worked good enough for me.

I am setting up a patch to play Van Halen's Cathedral off their Diver Down album, and I used several swell pedal so I don't have to roll my volume knob.

I plugged my favorite swell pedal in front of the HX so I could quickly A/B the pedal versus the HX effect, and I based my sound for swell of the TC Electronics Crescendo.  For reference, I have the sensitivity set at 8 o'clock and the attack is set at 2:30 o'clock.

I am going to attach my preset in case anyone want to try it out.  IF you just want me settings:

Time = 10ms, Feedbk = 12%, Depth = 100%

Swell  = 40%, Mix = 100%, Level = -1.0dB

Trails ON (don't think this matters)

I might make a YT vid to show this off, but it works well enough to get through the song.

Enjoy!

Dave

Cathedral.hlx 6.55 kB · 20 downloads

I did exactly the same thing with the Line 6 XT and it worked great. I wasn't able to get any of the new ones (one?) in the POD HD500 to work. I haven't even tried in the Helix. I will steal your settings and try them out. Thank You.