Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

POD 500X with Guitar and Keyboard

MinisterX

Hi guys,

I'm currently using my POD500x via Guitar In input to record my guitar through DAW (Fruity Loops).

I'm looking to buy either a Midi Controller Keyboard or a Stereo Keyboard/Synth to record its audio through DAW, the same as I use it for the guitar.

I don't need controls to control DAW plugins or anything similar - in a nutshell I just need the keys to work so I can record a track, then add plugins via DAW.

The problem is that I have no idea what kind of connection do I need to make between the keyboard and POD500x.

I've read other threads and people said that they use Aux In from the keyboard and then plug it into the Aux on the POD500x.

If this is correct, do I need to look for a synth/keyboard with a Aux In connection specifically?

I don't think plugging the keyboard via USB wouldn't help, since I have ASIO POD drivers - with this I wouldn't be able to record keyboard sections while the whole track is playing (drums, bass, etc.) like I do with the guitar.

Thanks so much in advance for your help!

P.S. Budget wise I was looking at something like Yamaha PSR-E363 (has Aux In), which seems the best option since I noticed that midi keyboards in that range do not have Aux In at all. Other synths/keyboards have only Phones input however I'm not sure if that would work with POD500x.

Step 1: Decide whether you want the Stereo Keyboard/Synth or the MIDI Controller first.

Are you intending to buy a keyboard that makes its own sounds or a controller that is going to send MIDI notes to the DAW where the sound generation will come from the internal / plug-in synths?

If Stereo Keyboard/Synth, then yes you can use the AUX input and you'll have to set the POD to have Input 1 Source as Guitar and Input 2 Source as AUX. Then you'll have Path A and Path B doing different things or whatever you want there. For the connection, the keyboard will probably have a 1/4" output L&R. You'd need a 1/4" TS (Mono) to 1/8" TRS (Stereo) Y-Cable. Start picking some suitable keyboards and check the outputs on the back. AUX In will not matter because you want to audio OUT of the keyboard and IN to the Pod.

example cable:

https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Splitter-Computer-Multimedia-Speakers/dp/B00ZKM3S4S?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duc12-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00ZKM3S4S

If MIDI Controller, then your sounds are going to come from the instruments in your DAW and the Pod is simply going to be your audio interface and you have to set the output of your DAW to use the Pod as its interface. You'll hear the instrument through USB coming out of the outputs of the Pod. You won't be connecting the controller to the POD at all.

So, make your decision first on where you want your sounds to come from.

On 2/3/2019 at 2:47 PM, MinisterX said:

I've read other threads and people said that they use Aux In from the keyboard and then plug it into the Aux on the POD500x.

If this is correct, do I need to look for a synth/keyboard with a Aux In connection specifically?

Wherever this type of advice came from, ignore it! 

IN into an IN will never work. It always has to be an OUT into an IN. That is the basics of signal flow. 

A stand alone keyboard will have sounds on board... but often can also be a controller to trigger sounds on the computer or other devices. If you want the sound from the keyboard itself, send it's OUTPUT to the AUX IN on the HD500. If you need stereo you could use the AUX IN and GUITAR IN then adjust the HD500 accordingly. 

A Keyboard Controller does not have sounds on board, they just allow you to generate sounds from the computer. These would not connect to the HD500, they would connect via USB/Midi directly to the computer or other device for the sounds.

Thank you stormstudios and codamedia, very helpful replies.

Hardware-wise, I decided that I'll go with a digital piano or synth since I would much prefer a "real" instrument since I'd like to learn piano playing basics as well.

So in a nutshell, I'll use it with VSTs in DAW as well as playing it for practice as an independent instrument.

But, regarding the connection - most of the synths and pianos within my budget seems to have USB only. Does this mean that I can still output it via POD?

Does that mean that it would show up as an Input option here:

http://take.ms/vOqdM

....and then I set the Output to go via POD 500?

Connection Questions

Sorry if I'm being dense, I just want to make sure I'll have the correct setup.

Currently I have ASIO POD500 drivers.

Everything is connected to POD - my mic, guitar, desktop speakers.

With this setup I can play/record guitar while the rest of the song's arrangement is played via DAW and my speakers. Can I do this if I connect synth or piano via USB?

I'm asking that since I couldn't do that with my USB microphone - there was no input option for it (only ASIO POD) so I had to record in other software then import it into DAW.

For that reason I had to buy phantom power adapter and plug the mic directly into POD so everything is run through ASIO drivers.

9 minutes ago, codamedia said:

IN into an IN will never work. It always has to be an OUT into an IN. That is the basics of signal flow. 

I see, thank you - I saw that one of the digital pianos which I saw has Aux OUT so I guess that might work in my favor for this setup.

Thanks so much for your help!