Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Very Annoying Problem When Saving Presets: Saved Preset Is Copied In Another Setlist

Tanxica

Hi, I don't know if it's a bug coming from POD HD Edit or the hardware unit itself but it's VERY annoying. I already lost some custom presets because of it. What's happening is when I'm tweaking then saving my presets on the POD or POD HD Edit, the preset is saved in the location I specified (let's say setlist 3, 12B) but it's also sometime duplicated and saved in another setlist (setlist 2 for ex, 12B) erasing whatever preset was populating the 12B space. Unfortunately I can't replicate this issue as it seems to happen randomly. The duplicate always saves in the same preset spot as the original (for ex. 14C) but in a different setlist.

But it's happening quite often to be VERY annoying and frustrating, especially when you discover a duplicate of your Metallica preset in your Pop Rock setlist, erasing the Santana preset you have been tweaking to perfection for months...

Oddly I could only find one thread mentioning this exact same issue: http://line6.com/supportarchivenew/thread/91585

Maybe it's the way we both use POD HD Edit or the POD. The POD factory setlists are loaded, leaving me with 3 empty setlists I populated and are now almost full. My setlists are organized as follow: 1/ Metal 2/ Pop Rock Acoustic 3/ Ambient FX that's why it's easy for me to spot a preset that doesn't belong to one or other setlist. To save a patch I either use the SAVE button on the POD or send it from POD HD Edit to the POD. I sometime reorganize my setlists moving patches all over the place, and I'm always very careful to what I do so when there's a duplicate, it's not user error.

The only workaround I found (which is actually not really a workaround) is to save my preset bundle before editing, and then again in another file after editing so I can compare both bundles preset after preset and see the changes. Very annoying once again, but at least this way I'm not losing any patch.

This really needs to get fixed.

Never heard of that...I have a hard enough time getting the preset into the proper slot, let alone two slots simultaneously...

I do know that if I edit a preexisting patch, say from setlist 1-2C, then want to save it to setlist 5-12B...when I dial in setlist 5 it defaults to SL5-2C regardless of what already exists in that bank. A bit annoying but I can't expect the board to read my mind in this case.

It sounds like a loss of synchronicity between the Pod device and the Edit program. This happens when you use both the device and the editor to make changes, with unpredictable results. The only way to be sure you avoid these anomalies is to avoid touching the Pod HD device while using the Edit program. Yes - avoid touching it. Don't hit a footswitch to change presets or turn an FX on/off, don't use the SAVE button on the device. Make ALL changes using the editor.

We could debate whether this is a bug or not, but it definitely happens and imho it is due to data loss/conflicts over the usb connection. Anytime a change is made on either device they try to stay in synch, and their ability to do so depends on the stability and speed of the usb connection. Very fast, nearly simultaneous changes on both devices will almost certainly cause confusion - especially if there is lots of other usb traffic going on with the computer. Once synchronicity is lost anything can happen.

The reason I say it's arguably not  a bug is that maintaining synchronicity under all circumstances would (I think) require both devices to be running real-time embedded operating systems. But only the Pod HD device is doing that. The computer is not a real-time OS and hence can not be guaranteed to keep up with the POD in terms of USB communications.

So, whether a bug or not, the safest thing to do is avoid touching the device when the editor is running. The bug-or-not debate is academic. The behaviour is not likely to change.

• Upvote 1

The only similar thing that I can think of is when I start editing a preset and I click save without DOUBLE clicking on where exactly I want this preset to be saved.  It then over-writes whatever patch happens to be selected. 

It doesn't sound the same as your issue, I don't know why it's jumping around to your different set lists, but that's as close as I can get to what's happening to you.

I have the same problem and I don't touch anything on the pod.

After I switched from XP to 7, I thought the OS was the problem since it wasn't happening on 7. But I had that problem happen again. So far, I think I've found a way to overcome that problem by not switching setlists on POD edit.

So, now when I want to make/modify patches in POD Edit, I select the setlist I want to work with in the POD, and then I plug the USB cable, open POD edit. etc.

It's a very annoying problem. I made a post like a year ago about it, and I also said I had a ticket to solve this, but the answer was "Your pod is broken. take it to the nearest official Line 6 shop to fix it". Jeez...thanks. Probably that means 1200 Km to fix it.

I don't think it's a POD problem rather than a bug in the POD's OS that comes out with certain computers. If Line 6 were clearer in their latest OS update, I would know if this problem was included in their "bugs & optimizations fix".

• 3 weeks later...

VERY annoying bug. Yes bug. I'm editing my presets with POD HD Edit and not touching the unit at all (except for the master volume) as you guys suggested in this thread. I found today 2 presets that got replaced by 2 others from other setlists. Something happened at the beginning of my edit session as I'm saving my bundle right after powering on the POD and right before shutting it down. My backup from yesterday had the presets at the right location. My 1st backup from today had the presets erased... Note that I didn't touch the unit in between sessions...

Yeah, I've had this happen a couple of times also. Happens randomly as you said. I haven't lost anything crucial yet, but that I'm guessing it's only a matter of time. I haven't really figured out what series of events causes this yet, but as mentioned above, editing on the hardware and HD Edit at the same time causes some strange & unpredictable results.

That issue is really a pain because even though I know that and try to avoid doing it, it is completely anti-intuitive. When I make changes, I want to test them on the hardware to make sure it sounds & works the way I want it to on the hardware, because that's what I'll be bringing to the gig, not HD Edit. I have to find a workflow where going back & forth between editing in HD Edit, and using the hardware does not cause these kinds of weird problems. What I've tried to do so far is do all the tweaking in HD Edit, play & test the sound (without touching the POD), re-tweak, play, and when I think it's good, save in HD Edit to the hardware. THEN, I switch to using the hardware (expression pedal, switches) without touching HD Edit to see if it works as expected. IF NOT: back to the "HD Edit" cycle.

I still get an occasional weird issue with this sequence. Maybe I need to save from the hardware after touching it to make sure they're in sync???

Also, when using this process, it forces a number of intermediate "Saves", where you now cannot go back to the original sound, so you almost have to be working on a copy of the patch in another slot so you can switch back to the previous (un-edited) patch for comparison, and if you end up making bad changes that you can no longer "Undo".

I sure wish the "Sync" between the 2 was immediate and foolproof. It would make the editing process a lot cleaner and easier. It's complicated enough weeding through all the choices to get the sound you're after without adding in additional glitches in communication between the HD500 & HD Edit.

• 2 months later...

I just bought a pod hd and my problem is when i saved a factory preset that i edited to the user 1 location that was 1A the preset that i renamed was saved to this location but it does not show any amp model or effects in hd edit and i cannot see any of my amp models or effects that i used to create this patch but the edited tone i created is still there?

Can anyone held me get my amp and effects settings back so i can see them again in hd edit?

Can you provide a 'recipe' that consistently reproduces this bug? That will help Line 6 diagnose the problem, and will also allow others to reproduce the behaviour in any similar device, confirming that it's a bug and not a defect of some sort in a few specific devices. Don't forget to specify which POD device you are using.

That's the whole problem, this bug is completely random, there's no "logic" behind it like "it happens when I do this or that".

I stopped touching the hardware unit when using POD HD edit but it didn't change anything. I had 5 presets deleted since my last post in this thread... One thing I can add is that it happens when using POD HD edit but also in sessions when only using the hardware unit. REALLY annoying to constantly have to track down deleted/replaced presets... 

That's the whole problem, this bug is completely random, there's no "logic" behind it like "it happens when I do this or that".

I stopped touching the hardware unit when using POD HD edit but it didn't change anything. I had 5 presets deleted since my last post in this thread... One thing I can add is that it happens when using POD HD edit but also in sessions when only using the hardware unit. REALLY annoying to constantly have to track down deleted/replaced presets... 

Same here! By HD edit or by hardware, randomly happen. Pls do something.

• 6 months later...