Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Amplification Survey Re: PowerCab & Helix

gunpointmetal

Did anyone else do the survey? Curios as to what the responses were. For me personally, I don't need the speaker modeling, I just need an FRFR box that gets loud like a guitar cab. I would LOVE to see a 2x10 or 2x12 version, even if its just in mono (stereo out a single cab sounds cool for practice but isn't really necessary in most live situations) with two parallel I/O (allowing stereo to FOH off the cabinet or dual-mono for FOH/IEM setups). So far in auditioning the PowerCab models, they don't have enough push to really replace a guitar cab in a live-band situation for me. I need something that can carry a small room along side a loud drummer and bass rig when there isn't much for PA support and I don't see the single 12" PC/PC+ doing it. 

I did it. The main thing that I’d like to see added is midi-over-digital-connection which would get rid of the need for a cable. Not interested in 2x12 speaker as that would increase the weight, which I don’t need at my age. Also, I find my powercab plenty loud for my purposes ... it’ll keep up with our drummer and other guitar player (who can easily get out of hand!). I guess what I’m saying is that I’m mostly satisfied with my speaker, so much so that I bought a second one to run in stereo when possible.

• Like 2

Have you gone into the PC editor and raised the level of the speaker sim presets? They come set rather low, about -18db. Raise them up and you should have no volume issues. I play in a band with a very loud drummer and a lead guitar player that has an expensive tube rig and has to be deafeningly loud to hit his "sweet spot". We play 90's grunge. I have no problem keeping up with my Helix / PC+ rig, and I use both IR's and the speaker sims. My preference is the speaker sims. My own opinion is when someone says a PC is not loud enough, they are guilty of operator error. 

Regarding your question, I did do the survey. I asked for more speaker sims!

14 minutes ago, Thark said:

I did it. The main thing that I’d like to see added is midi-over-digital-connection which would get rid of the need for a cable. Not interested in 2x12 speaker as that would increase the weight, which I don’t need at my age. Also, I find my powercab plenty loud for my purposes ... it’ll keep up with our drummer and other guitar player (who can easily get out of hand!). I guess what I’m saying is that I’m mostly satisfied with my speaker, so much so that I bought a second one to run in stereo when possible.

The complete L6 Link functionality for the Powercab Plus that will allow control along with the audio communication is coming in the 2.8 firmware upgrade.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, specracer986 said:

Have you gone into the PC editor and raised the level of the speaker sim presets? They come set rather low, about -18db. Raise them up and you should have no volume issues. I play in a band with a very loud drummer and a lead guitar player that has an expensive tube rig and has to be deafeningly loud to hit his "sweet spot". We play 90's grunge. I have no problem keeping up with my Helix / PC+ rig, and I use both IR's and the speaker sims. My preference is the speaker sims. My own opinion is when someone says a PC is not loud enough, they are guilty of operator error. 

Regarding your question, I did do the survey. I asked for more speaker sims!

I actually did audition it set-up this way at a friends house. It would definitely suffice in practice, as its about as loud as my Mackie FRFR, but there's no way it's going to keep up with my bassist and drummer in venues where there isn't PA support for the guitar. 

6 minutes ago, phil_m said:

The complete L6 Link functionality for the Powercab Plus that will allow control along with the audio communication is coming in the 2.8 firmware upgrade.

When this happens my rig will be perfect for me!

Cheers.

• Like 1

A good few of the questions were just not relevant to me in particular  ..What do you like or dislike about how Powercab sounds and feels?, when i answered 'no' to having tried one the previous question.

I've never been a fan of demoing gear instore anyway, because sure as hell you take it home, and it doesn't quite sound the same.

At that price point , I'd need a week and couple of full rehearsals with a Powercab, before i could make a decision on one.

You tube vids give no clue as to how it actually sounds as there are just way too many factors to consider when listening.

You can also buy a Fender HRD for less than the 112 plus model , and although it may be defeating the purpose, at least you know exactly what you'd be buying into.

The Laney 112 FRFR  is half the price of the line 6, and i've heard some positive things about it ,so were i to take a punt, it'd be on that.

• Like 1

I took the survey. To summarize my thoughts, I am very impressed with the Powercab, and I do like the amp in a room feel that it recreates. In my case though, I had already bought a solution for my needs that works really well, and so as impressed as I was with the cab emulation it wasn't enough to push me to the $500 or $700 range just to experience that. One thing I shared in the survey is that I felt many people who have moved to a FRFR have kind of made peace with the idea of losing that cab feeling and that it was more of a selling point to those thinking about crossing over. I did say that when people ask me what FRFR to consider, that's the first one I point them to, because if I'd known it was coming out I think I would have waited and gone that route.

Finally, I pointed out that smaller more affordable things like what Headrush is doing is appealing to me since I already sunk in a decent chunk of change for my main unit, but there is a use for smaller FRFR options, and $200 or $300 is pricey but not break the bank range.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, crowy79 said:

I just bought the Laney LFR 112 power cab, it is early days, but wow, the difference is amazing, so far I have only ran my Strat through it, but the sound is crystal clear, would highly recommend this setup.

How do you feel the volume compares to a 12" powered wedge-type speaker? And it's hard to say from the pics on American Musical Supply, but it is rear ported?

The Volume is very impressive, it also has an output so you can run it into a mixing desk or further PA without having to mic up. No it’s not rear ported it’s solid, and also the back panel is where all the connections and settings are. Hope that helps.

• Like 1

I'm gigging a Powercab +. It's just about loud enough to monitor in most gig situations (when used with a good PA system) but NOT loud enough to fill a medium size room and compete with a drummer etc if the band were using back line and a vocal PA only.

• Like 1

On 2/9/2019 at 9:31 AM, Graemey said:

I'm gigging a Powercab +. It's just about loud enough to monitor in most gig situations (when used with a good PA system) but NOT loud enough to fill a medium size room and compete with a drummer etc if the band were using back line and a vocal PA only.

That was pretty much how I felt when I tried out a couple (in store and in someone else's rig). If I was in a radio rock band going direct, that would be a great monitor solution. For a math/core/death metal band playing live on the floor of a bar with no real PA, its not gonna cut it on its own. I just really hope they don't go too crazy and make it a dual-IR, stereo, do-it-all box and charge $1500 for it. I'm really tempted to just grab a Spider V 240 combo and run into the front of it with no amp/FX running. 

FWIW I took the survey and expressed that I would like a stripped down, bare bones version of the powercab. IMO... my only use for a Powercab would be in FRFR mode. I wouldn't need any IR capability or speaker modeling, I'd just use the Helix options. Aside from power and a full range speaker I'd like a peak light indicator on the input, a volume attenuation, and some tone control (LPF/HPF) to adjust for the room quickly. 

On 2/9/2019 at 9:31 AM, Graemey said:

I find this really odd... how much power is it suppose to be? 

My current full range setup (I won't call it flat response) is just the power amp input on a Peavey Bandit loaded with an Eminence Beta 12LTA coax speaker. The Bandits power is rated at just 80 watts... I can fill any room where the PA is "vocal only".

23 minutes ago, codamedia said:

I find this really odd... how much power is it suppose to be? 

My current full range setup (I won't call it flat response) is just the power amp input on a Peavey Bandit loaded with an Eminence Beta 12LTA coax speaker. The Bandits power is rated at just 80 watts... I can fill any room where the PA is "vocal only".

It's  a very music/location/genre dependent thing. We're playing downtuned, high-gain, aggressive music and a single 12" guitar speaker isn't gonna carry a room in that context. It's fine for practice when we're on our IEMs and the speaker is behind me close enough to give a little push, but live in an room not designed for sound, not happening.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gunpointmetal said:

It's  a very music/location/genre dependent thing.

I can respect that... even if I can't relate to it :) 

I can fill any room comfortably that we use a "vocal only" PA.. and still have a lot of headroom on tap while easily blending with an acoustic drum kit. 

Most of the groups I play with hover around 108db (slow / weighted) about 1/3rd back from the stage... I can't fathom the sheer volume some of you must play at :) 

I do mix some heavier groups at 116db - 120db... but that's with everything in the mix, not a vocal only situation. I also know the volume is much more relentless with aggressive high gain playing. 

Let me say it again though, I do respect the difference! I'm not an old coot trying to tell everyone to turn down :) 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, codamedia said:

Let me say it again though, I do respect the difference! I'm not an old coot trying to tell everyone to turn down :) 

Yeah, I didn't get that at all, lol. We're not like stoner-doom loud, but we're pretty freaking loud, and what it really comes down to is that we're pushing A LOT of low end (I'm playing a guitar with 9-strings tuned to A an octave below the A you'd have if you tuned a seven-string guitar down a step) which automatically require a little more juice to get loud. The standard Powercab would probably work fine for me in my other band that's instrumental and little dialed-back as far the gain goes, but when I auditioned my heavy tones on one (even with the input level adjustment) it was still quite a bit quieter than my single 12" Mackie PA monitor, of which I put two on stage when PA support is lacking right now (one on a pole, one below it in monitor position). I just want a Powercab that can do what a Orange/Mesa 2x12 guitar cab can do in a room.

• Like 1

We're playing downtuned, high-gain, aggressive music and a single 12" guitar speaker isn't gonna carry a room in that context.

I didn't know Conway Twitty music was down tuned? 

; )

JK- and I see yer point. I really think I want the Powercab Plus for "studio" work. Mainly using it for a (once I'm used to it) quick ballpark setup, then recording it into a DAW. BTW and I haven't looked, the Powercab Plus does also offer a speaker simulated "direct-out" (for going straight into a recording console), correct? 

I took the survey.  Not using cabs.  Our PA engineer has worked with me to get the monitors to give myself and the other performers what they ask for.  Venue owners and the crowd like the  Front of House sound and keep hiring us back so ...

I did explain that as clearly as possible so the results of my responses probably place me outside the target demographics.