Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

YAMAHA DXR10 and Helix. Speaker on a stand or a amp stand?

endemolash

I’ve just picked up a DXR10 and I’m planning to use it for band rehearsals and behind me in live shows like an amp. With the XLR going to the PA.

Should I get a stand? Or an amp stand? Will it make a difference. Feels a bit odd just putting it on the floor. How do you guys do it?

I personally place it behind me on a half height speaker stand like this one:  Speaker Stand

I suppose an amp stand might work as well as long as the speaker is mounted vertically.  The reason this is important is because most powered speakers of this type have a very wide horizontal sound cone angle and a relatively tight vertical sound cone angle.  This allows it to project further because it doesn't waste sound energy projecting into ceilings and floors.  The wide horizontal sound cone allows it to fill the stage better.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, endemolash said:

I’ve just picked up a DXR10 and I’m planning to use it for band rehearsals and behind me in live shows like an amp. With the XLR going to the PA.

Although I don't use that particular speaker, I'll still lend my view on how I approach a full range setup for my rig. 

When the PA is used "more or less" for vocals only, then I place my full range box behind me and point it out to the audience. I lift the box enough to get it off the stage... this helps provide a more natural low end in most cases. I angle it out so the direction is somewhere between myself and the audience so I know I am hearing pretty much the same thing they are hearing. 

When the PA does all the heavy lifting, I never want to direct things off the stage that might interfere with the tech and the mix. In those cases I would put the box in front of me and point it at my head like a monitor. Actually... in most cases I just run my Helix through my stage monitor (no separate box for guitar) but if there was a limited number of mixes I would just point my full range box toward me... not out front. 

I'm not suggesting mine is the only way, or the right way.... it's just the way I've always done it. I'm very cognizant of the front mix.. and how I need to fit in regardless of  the setup. 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, codamedia said:

Although I don't use that particular speaker, I'll still lend my view on how I approach a full range setup for my rig. 

When the PA is used "more or less" for vocals only, then I place my full range box behind me and point it out to the audience. I lift the box enough to get it off the stage... this helps provide a more natural low end in most cases. I angle it out so the direction is somewhere between myself and the audience so I know I am hearing pretty much the same thing they are hearing. 

When the PA does all the heavy lifting, I never want to direct things off the stage that might interfere with the tech and the mix. In those cases I would put the box in front of me and point it at my head like a monitor. Actually... in most cases I just run my Helix through my stage monitor (no separate box for guitar) but if there was a limited number of mixes I would just point my full range box toward me... not out front. 

I'm not suggesting mine is the only way, or the right way.... it's just the way I've always done it. I'm very cognizant of the front mix.. and how I need to fit in regardless of  the setup. 

That’s a good point. So in rehersal I’ll want it facing the band. If I have it in the floor in a wedge position is  it going to sound worse than if I had it up on a stand? 

Mans you’re totally right about live situation. I always go direct to pa but I need a bit of stage sound for the other band members. 

Speaker stand if you're needing it for any room support, wedge/floor position if you have a big PA/Large Room/only need self-monitoring, at least that's how I do it with my speaker. Putting it up gets better projection in the room, putting it on the floor means you can have it in front of you for personal monitoring. I'd set-up my tones with it up on the stand and the EQ flat, then dial back a little low end if you end up using in monitor position. 

5 hours ago, DunedinDragon said:

I personally place it behind me on a half height speaker stand like this one:  Speaker Stand

I think I might have to grab one of these. My current stand is just over head height when its at its lowest.

• Like 1

I have a pole mount and an amp stand. I got the pole first, then decided I wanted an amp stand because I thought the lowest setting of the pole was higher than I wanted it to be. I changed my mind after using the amp stand on a few gigs. For one thing, the particular one that I have comes in three pieces. It's not that portable, as the biggest piece won't fit in my guitar's gig bag or the Helix carry case. Of course the stand doesn't either, but it's just one piece. I also found that the stand takes up a lot of room and I don't always have the luxury of space on smaller stages with four or more other musicians. 

Either could work for you; the important thing is to get the speaker off the floor because of coupling. I learned that on my first gig with Helix and FRFR powered speaker; had to use way more low cut than I should've.

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

Thank you guys for this thread, I just bought a Yamaha DXR10 mkII for my Helix LT and I want to be able to use it both as an 'amp' behind med and as a monitor pointing to the stage.

I want the full horisontal coverage of the horn which means standing the speaker up but I also want it on the floor so I made this small woody-thingy that inserts into the stand hole and makes it possible to angle the speaker while still standing up.

br

JimR

IMG_20190813_202744_1.jpg

Image 35.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...