Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp - Tap Tempo in Snapshots mode

adinelb

Hello guys,

First of all, hello! That's my first post in here.

So, I'm about to buy the HX Stomp.

I'm a 3 pedals guys, so it's more than enough for me. 

But there's one thing, that I really need to know before I'll buy it.

Is there any possibility to use the tap tempo while I'm in the Snapshots mode?

I don't care if I need a midi controller for this, I'll buy it, but I want to know if it's possible for live usage.

Thank you!

Yes, tap tempo can work anywhere that you have the effect set to "time division" rather than a fixed time setting. 

Tap can be set to GLOBAL, PRE PRESET or PER SNAPSHOT so it's very flexible. 

GLOBAL: This means the tempo is retained between patches and snapshots. Tempo's are not stored in presets or snapshots, you just tap in what you want.

PER PRESET: The tempo is stored in the preset, when you call that preset it always starts at a set tempo but you can tap in a new one.

PRE SNAPSHOT: Same as "per preset" except the tempo is stored with each snapshot

6 hours ago, adinelb said:

But there's one thing, that I really need to know before I'll buy it.

Is there any possibility to use the tap tempo while I'm in the Snapshots mode?

I don't care if I need a midi controller for this, I'll buy it, but I want to know if it's possible for live usage.

Yes, a MIDI controller could work for it, or you could get an external momentary footswitch (the Stomp support up to two external footswitches) and assign it as tap/tuner switch.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, phil_m said:

Yes, a MIDI controller could work for it, or you could get an external momentary footswitch (the Stomp support up to two external footswitches) and assign it as tap/tuner switch.

Ooops... looks like I misunderstood his question/concern :) 

• 1 month later...

up. I'm still confused a little bit.

If I'm in "Snapshot mode" I have only three footswitches available to scroll trough the preset.

So, how may I be able to tap the tempo? Via an external footswich? TRS (for example, BOSS FS-5) or a midi pedal? 

2 hours ago, adinelb said:

up. I'm still confused a little bit.

If I'm in "Snapshot mode" I have only three footswitches available to scroll trough the preset.

So, how may I be able to tap the tempo? Via an external footswich? TRS (for example, BOSS FS-5) or a midi pedal? 

In snapshot mode you can NOT use the Stomp's on board three foot switches for tap tempo/tuner.  That's something you give up in that mode.

BUT, you can attach a footswitch such as the Boss FS-5 or a midi pedal and have those send the signal. 

• Like 1

On 3/28/2019 at 5:35 AM, Kilrahi said:

In snapshot mode you can NOT use the Stomp's on board three foot switches for tap tempo/tuner.  That's something you give up in that mode.

BUT, you can attach a footswitch such as the Boss FS-5 or a midi pedal and have those send the signal. 

Thanks, bro! 

That's all I needed. I want to use it in live situations. 6 blocks and 3 Snapshots in one preset, sounds like a great deal to me, but I needed to know about the delay tempo.

Hi guys 

I’ve assigned tap tempo and tuner to a seperate footswitch. Same as above - I’m using all my 3 switches in stomp mode and can’t afford the real estate. The footswitch works great and brings up the tuner no problems. However I can’t seem to access the ‘tap’ tempo frm the same location. Even tho I have FS5 set up correctly I can’t find where to ‘tap’ 

I’ve tried pressing the button as I normally would (tap in time etc) but all that comes up is my tuner. Any ideas ?? 

Many help at all would be appreciated:) 

2 hours ago, Beckybrown said:

Hi guys 

I’ve assigned tap tempo and tuner to a seperate footswitch. Same as above - I’m using all my 3 switches in stomp mode and can’t afford the real estate. The footswitch works great and brings up the tuner no problems. However I can’t seem to access the ‘tap’ tempo frm the same location. Even tho I have FS5 set up correctly I can’t find where to ‘tap’ 

I’ve tried pressing the button as I normally would (tap in time etc) but all that comes up is my tuner. Any ideas ?? 

That would indicate that you have the footswitch set to latch instead of momentary. 

10 minutes ago, Beckybrown said:

Ok, that’s good to know. I can’t find where to change that though :( 

Something came up in controller assign ?? but it seems to me it’s only for a particular preset. I’ve got the TAP/Tuner assigned to FS5. 

What type of footswitch are you using? It sounds like it’s a latching footswitch. Depending on the footswitch, there might be a way to change that, but most don’t have that option.

2 minutes ago, Beckybrown said:

Ahhh. Looks like you may be right. It’s the mission engineering TT2. 

I guess I may be limited to using the 1/4 or 1/8 etc time delay options rather than being able to tap anywhere? 

Well, that’s a momentary switch... So it should work. Do you have it in TRS Mode and are you using a TRS cable?

Sure am. Other functions are working great ie bank up and down, preset up and down etc. it’s definitely a TRS cable. I learned that the hard way !

When u say TRS mode I’m assuming you mean in Global settings / preferences / FS4 assigned to ‘tip’ and FS5 to ‘ring’ ? 

4 hours ago, Beckybrown said:

Sure am. Other functions are working great ie bank up and down, preset up and down etc. it’s definitely a TRS cable. I learned that the hard way !

When u say TRS mode I’m assuming you mean in Global settings / preferences / FS4 assigned to ‘tip’ and FS5 to ‘ring’ ? 

That pedal was pretty much advertised to work with the Stomp, so there's got to be a way to do this.  Either we're missing a step, or something was set up wrong.

The next step would be to check if your cable is a TRS cable. Realistically that doesn't sound like the problem here, but I've seen weird issues and limitations so it's where I usually start in giving advice. 

Next, I'd check both switches just to make sure one isn't having issues. To do that, I'd make sure the following global switches are set:

Global Settings > Preferences

1. Exp/FS Tip - Set to "FS4"

2. Exp/FS Ring - Set to "FS5"

Global Settings > Footswitches

1. FS3 function - Set to "Stomp 3."

2. FS4 function - set to "Tap/Tuner"

3. FS5 function - Set to "Stomp 5 at first, then once you've tested it swap so that FS4 is stomp and FS5 is tap/tuner. 

Let me know what you find out with the above. If it still won't work I can try to bang my head against the wall some more!

Omg we don’t want any injuries lol. 

Bad news is I just tried the other footswitch- swapped it all around and assigned FS4 to the tap tuner. It didn’t work :( Tuner comes up fine. 

Is there anywhere else within the preset itself that I can tap a delay time in ?? My guess is no. I wondered if I could ‘temporarily’ assign FS3 to the TAP tuner, tap my delay time in...then save it. Afterward assigning FS3 back to stomp mode? 

1 hour ago, Beckybrown said:

Omg we don’t want any injuries lol. 

Bad news is I just tried the other footswitch- swapped it all around and assigned FS4 to the tap tuner. It didn’t work :( Tuner comes up fine. 

Is there anywhere else within the preset itself that I can tap a delay time in ?? My guess is no. I wondered if I could ‘temporarily’ assign FS3 to the TAP tuner, tap my delay time in...then save it. Afterward assigning FS3 back to stomp mode? 

Well, I'm more disturbed that the footswitch isn't working as it's supposed to. Especially since that's one of the more expensive foot switches. If the above is all set but it still didn't work, you might want to open a support ticket or contact Mission Engineering to see if yours is defective.

Unfortunately, the only solution is to know what your actual temp is and manually set it in the delay (by using beats per minute, or the note setting such as quarter, whole, etc.). 

Personally, I used to mess around with tuner and tap tempo on the external switches, but ended up just preferring it on FS3. I use external switches for either a expression pedal, or snapshot changes since I tend to think snapshots works better anyway. 

Still, this out to work so it's frustrating it's not. 

Thanks for your input here :) 

Yes it should work. Absolutely. Do I bother to raise a ticket or do I just go back to assigning the TAP back to FS3 as you’ve mentioned. Makes sense. 

Im using some of Glenn Delaune’s presets though - he’s got a boost / eq added to FS3. I’ll have to find a way to move that over to FS2 and sacrifice what else is there I think. Or, manually set my delay times and keep em saved to the preset. 

Frustrating :( 

3 minutes ago, Beckybrown said:

Thanks for your input here :) 

Yes it should work. Absolutely. Do I bother to raise a ticket or do I just go back to assigning the TAP back to FS3 as you’ve mentioned. Makes sense. 

Im using some of Glenn Delaune’s presets though - he’s got a boost / eq added to FS3. I’ll have to find a way to move that over to FS2 and sacrifice what else is there I think. Or, manually set my delay times and keep em saved to the preset. 

Frustrating :( 

If it were me I'd open a ticket with Line 6, and then if that still didn't help I'd reach out to Mission Engineering. It's always possible you have a borked pedal, and if so, it should be replaced. 

21 hours ago, Beckybrown said:

Try inverting the polarity of the switch in the Global Settings menu.

• 3 weeks later...

I wish there was a way to just set it like a regular line 6 pedal. In snapshot just make it so when you hold down a switch the tuner comes on. Its not that crazy they've been doing that for years. Or hold down selected switch you get tuner.

I do alot of flying gigs so thats why I bought the stomp. Too bad there wasn't something in between the LT and the stomp. Its got to fit in carryon luggage. I would have easily paid the extra to get a full 2 processor helix that fit the dimensions.  

Get a DMC micro!

Configure the left switch to be tap/tuner; as it's got a left switch that can register either press/tap vs. Long press and hold. Set right switch to some other function (toggle footswitch preset/snapshot mode?)

Then plug your other TRS switch in to HX Stomp to be fs4 and fs5. Still leaves you exp input for an expression pedal via the DMC micro exp input...

To give credit where due:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/dmc-micro-with-hx-stomp.1991666/page-10

On 4/6/2019 at 6:42 AM, Beckybrown said:

Hi guys 

Edit... A regular momentary trs external switch will work for tap/tuner; finally got to test it with mine yesterday.

I am still keeping the DMC micro set up as tap/tuner in mine; though I suppose it's really just a matter of preference for pedal placement... I have the right button on the DMC set to toggle the HX between snapshot and stomp modes. Right button long press to scroll between presets. Can also set the right button short press to cycle between all the footswitch modes; haven't quite decided which is more efficient on the fly. Right button long press to enter preset mode also then lets you do left button long press to go into DSP bypass mode.

Mission exp pedal into dmc micro set to control various parameters.. Right now delay feedback has been a fun one! Set delay to trails on so when you switch the effect off after you capture the trail it lingers instead of cutting off.

Here's the trs switch I bought:

https://reverb.com/item/21398324-analog-endeavors-aux2ae-2-button-hx-stomp-controller-budget-b-stock-option

Board currently looks like this:

ORCzY4r.jpg

Cheers!

• 2 years later...