Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Looking for Variax USB interface

Hey guys,

I have a Variax JTV but I don't have the USB interface in order to use it with the Workbench. 

If you have a Variax USB and don't need it anymore because you have the Helix or another unit that interfaces with the Variax, I would appreciate if you would be willing to donate it or sell it for a reasonable price.

The brand new unit is too expensive for me.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I don't even want to use the workbench software. The presets can stay at default.
I don't want to use (buy another, sold long ago) Pod / Helix product.

I just want to reflash the guitar. 

This is actually grounds for a lawsuit. 
Line 6 / Yamaha legally is probably obligated to provide a way to service a product that doesn't require buying another product. At the very least, it should be a matter of customer support.

On 4/9/2022 at 4:25 PM, Dellul said:

I don't even want to use the workbench software. The presets can stay at default.
I don't want to use (buy another, sold long ago) Pod / Helix product.

I just want to reflash the guitar. 

This is actually grounds for a lawsuit. 
Line 6 / Yamaha legally is probably obligated to provide a way to service a product that doesn't require buying another product. At the very least, it should be a matter of customer support.

Good luck with that lawsuit...

What exactly is the reason you can't reflash your Variax?

All Variaxes come with the USB interface.  If you've lost it, or you bought a used Variax and didn't get the USB interface with it, that's hardly Line6's fault.  You'll have to suck it up and find/borrow a USB interface.  Line6 will sell you one if needed so you can reflash your guitar.

• Like 1

Just wow. 

And this is exactly why I avoid buying any more Line6 products, and god knows I've owned a lot of them. 

Imagine if any other device required a special unique proprietary super expensive thing, just for basic maintenance. 

Imagine if you needed to spend 100 just for a standard usb cable to flash any other device (computer in fact, and that is what a Variax partly is). 

Yes, it is absolutely Line6's fault, and I promise if people banded together and pressed the issue, the lawsuit would be won easily. I'm an ex computer industry geek. This happens all the time. 

So, do nothing about it. I really don't care. Not my circus. Not my Monkey. 

As a last word of advice though, companies actually pay huge sums of money for research into customer needs and complaints, and they understand it's of value. One of the best bit's of advice I've ever been given is to tell someone when they are failing at something. You don't do them any favours by keeping it a secret and letting them live oblivious to it. 

Have a nice day.

• Downvote 1

On 4/12/2022 at 1:20 PM, Dellul said:

Just wow. 

And this is exactly why I avoid buying any more Line6 products, and god knows I've owned a lot of them. 

Imagine if any other device required a special unique proprietary super expensive thing, just for basic maintenance. 

Imagine if you needed to spend 100 just for a standard usb cable to flash any other device (computer in fact, and that is what a Variax partly is). 

Yes, it is absolutely Line6's fault, and I promise if people banded together and pressed the issue, the lawsuit would be won easily. I'm an ex computer industry geek. This happens all the time. 

So, do nothing about it. I really don't care. Not my circus. Not my Monkey. 

As a last word of advice though, companies actually pay huge sums of money for research into customer needs and complaints, and they understand it's of value. One of the best bit's of advice I've ever been given is to tell someone when they are failing at something. You don't do them any favours by keeping it a secret and letting them live oblivious to it. 

Have a nice day.

For owning a lot of Line 6 gear, you seem to be displaying ignorance about the actual product lines. All the Variax guitars currently being sold come with the VDI interface, and that has been the case since the JTV series was first released back in 2010. The original Variax guitars didn’t come with the interface, but there really weren’t a ton of updates for those guitars. Also, it was always possible to update them with other hardware. But those guitars have been discontinued for like over 12 years now.

In the MI world, it’s plenty common for gear to require not only external hardware, but third party external hardware for updates. There’s still plenty of stuff that requires a MIDI to USB adapter to receive updates. No one is suing Strymon because they don’t provide an M-Audio MIDISport Uno with the TimeLine or BigSky… And they wouldn’t have a case of they did.

On 4/13/2022 at 12:47 AM, phil_m said:

For owning a lot of Line 6 gear, you seem to be displaying ignorance about the actual product lines. All the Variax guitars currently being sold come with the VDI interface, and that has been the case since the JTV series was first released back in 2010. The original Variax guitars didn’t come with the interface, but there really weren’t a ton of updates for those guitars. Also, it was always possible to update them with other hardware. But those guitars have been discontinued for like over 12 years now.

In the MI world, it’s plenty common for gear to require not only external hardware, but third party external hardware for updates. There’s still plenty of stuff that requires a MIDI to USB adapter to receive updates. No one is suing Strymon because they don’t provide an M-Audio MIDISport Uno with the TimeLine or BigSky… And they wouldn’t have a case of they did.

Your arrogance is astounding. Am I confused? Do you work for the company? I certainly hope not.
Are MIDI to USB adaptors proprietary? Does only Line6 make MIDI to USB adaptors? Do MIDI to USB adaptors have other uses except for one product? Are they super expensive?

Could a person lose or break a super expensive only does one thing and has no other use in the universe tool, which yet without it the actual product can not receive the most basic of maintenance?

This is a consistent and common complaint about Variax guitars.

On 4/14/2022 at 12:22 AM, Dellul said:

Your arrogance is astounding. Am I confused? Do you work for the company? I certainly hope not.
Are MIDI to USB adaptors proprietary? Does only Line6 make MIDI to USB adaptors? Do MIDI to USB adaptors have other uses except for one product? Are they super expensive?

Could a person lose or break a super expensive only does one thing and has no other use in the universe tool, which yet without it the actual product can not receive the most basic of maintenance?

You have several options, I think.

1) Open a support ticket with Line 6 and plead your case to have them offer you an interface for free or at what you consider to be a fair price.

2) Initiate the lawsuit you feel is a slam dunk. Let us know how that goes. Others may want to join you and make it a class action.

3) Continue to complain and berate people here. I guess I’m now first in line.

Edited by silverhead
Related to #1, perhaps Line 6 could arrange for your firmware update at your nearest authorized service center. Seems that’s all you want.

Dongles, interface, cup holder in your car,... all part of the package in a new product.

If it's lost I sympathize. But we need to be real about this.

More gets accomplished with a carrot than a stick. Attract more flies with honey than with vinegar.

And all those others.

What silverhead said. And no, he doesn't work for us. I think he is still an authorized service tech.

Log a Support ticket, they are reasonable people. No need to get hostile yet.

"... Line6 products, and god knows I've owned a lot of them. " --- I see only two items in your account, one still registered.

Let Support know which Variax and which computer OS. They can you know your options. Registering your guitar in your

account helps, since the more info we have the better we can solve this.

On 4/13/2022 at 11:22 PM, Dellul said:

I do not work for Line 6. What did I say that’s arrogant, exactly? As I mentioned, all the Variax guitars being sold now come with the VDI adapter. Unfortunately, it seems people often don’t include them when selling the guitars, but that isn’t exactly Line 6’s fault.

You’ve not really even explained your situation here. What type of Variax are you talking about? The VDI isn’t the only option to update it. Proprietary accessories are not really rare either, especially for something as specialized as the Variax.