Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Is there a way to make the input level of the Aux input the same as Guitar or the Returns?

tjbassoon

I'm going to be running two instruments simultaneously through the Helix for a group I'm in, and I figured out I can run the second instrument into one of the Return jacks and it sounds right, but the Aux jack is considerably quieter. About -12dB from the guitar input jack. Is there anywhere in the settings that input jack can be set to be the same as the guitar? I know the guitar in has a pad option in the globals, but I found nothing for the Aux.

I would insert a GAIN block at the beginning of the chain, then activate it (via switch or snapshot) whenever you pickup that instrument. Just set the gain level so the two guitars match. 

If you don't want to give up a footswitch for the duty, just duplicate the patch and activate the GAIN BLOCK (always on) in the new patch. 

1 hour ago, MusicLaw said:

My first thought would be to adjust the Level Parameter of the Input Block.

I thought that was a thing, but I can't find it, either in HX Edit or on the unit itself. There is a parameter for the input GATE, but not an level parameter.

4 hours ago, tjbassoon said:

I thought that was a thing, but I can't find it, either in HX Edit or on the unit itself. There is a parameter for the input GATE, but not an level parameter.

Not at my Helix at the moment... 

16 hours ago, Kilrahi said:

I think using the fx returns are usually far better choices. Are they unavailable in your setup? It looks like you mentioned them in your first post but then brought up the aux in.

Yeah, I guess I'll be using the FX return for now, since it's the right input gain level. It's just weird that the Aux isn't somewhat configurable without taking up a block to boost the gain 12dB.

1 minute ago, tjbassoon said:

Yeah, I guess I'll be using the FX return for now, since it's the right input gain level. It's just weird that the Aux isn't somewhat configurable without taking up a block to boost the gain 12dB.

It does seem like a strange oversight.

OK, so what exactly is the point of the Aux input jack then? What specific device would work well in it? I have a bass with active pickups and it sound like garbage (very low volume) through it. Much better through a guitar or return jack. Likewise my other instrument has an active preamp and it doesn't like the Aux in. This is all compared to a strat with standard pickups and no battery, which of course works best through the Guitar In.

2 hours ago, tjbassoon said:

OK, so what exactly is the point of the Aux input jack then? What specific device would work well in it? I have a bass with active pickups and it sound like garbage (very low volume) through it. Much better through a guitar or return jack. Likewise my other instrument has an active preamp and it doesn't like the Aux in. This is all compared to a strat with standard pickups and no battery, which of course works best through the Guitar In.

I think it's largely to play music through it so you can practice to it. You could maybe use it as a monitor for other band mates.

4 hours ago, tjbassoon said:

OK, so what exactly is the point of the Aux input jack then? What specific device would work well in it?

I'm pretty sure the AUX is just a Line Level input. I agree with everyone here.. it's odd that you cannot choose instrument/line on the Aux... but that doesn't make it useless. 

It's easy to forget, but the Helix wasn't designed "just" for guitar players. 

Any line level device would thrive in that input.

• Amps FX Loops the send "LINE" Level
  • Rack Effects
  • Load boxes
  • Keyboards
  • Any sends and/or outputs from mixers  (it would be extremely useful in a studio environment)
  • It would also work well with CD Players, MP3 Players etc... except it's only mono. 
  • Like 2

On 2/11/2019 at 9:03 AM, PeterHamm said:

The aux jack is specifically for instruments with a built-in preamp, or instruments that plug into a preamp, then into helix. plain and simple. Some of those do NOT work well with the Guitar in, so I'm glad they put it there.

2 out of 3 instruments I use with the Helix have or are used with a preamp. They sound weak through the Aux input. It would make sense if that input had an ability to be more flexible. The Guitar In has a pad function for instruments with too high output already. Maybe some keyboards or something work better with that much of a pad, but even my keyboards don't output that hot.

3 hours ago, tjbassoon said:

2 out of 3 instruments I use with the Helix have or are used with a preamp. They sound weak through the Aux input. It would make sense if that input had an ability to be more flexible. The Guitar In has a pad function for instruments with too high output already. Maybe some keyboards or something work better with that much of a pad, but even my keyboards don't output that hot.

similar experience. I run my acoustics through either Guitar in or Return 1.

My Ibanez fretless bass, tho, sounds fantastic through the Aux, so it's a case-by-case basis, I guess.