Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pod X3 Pro Sample Rate /headphone Crackling

Stroboscapes

I've just purchased a POD X3 Pro to use for home recording, and I've installed the latest drivers and firmware almost immediately. I've connected my headphones, a pair of Sennheiser HD650's to the headphone output, and a guitar to input 1 and started playing something, and in the headphones I can hear distinct crackling and noise, as if there's a buffer or sample rate mismatch. The same thing is when I use it for monitoring as my primary sound card when playing from Reaper. I've recorded on my Focusrite 2i2 and POD XT Live with no problems, so the headphones are fine. The only time when something like this has occured was when I set the buffer on my 2i2 too low so it was struggling, the X3 sounds like that all the time. I've tried setting the sample rate and headphone volume from the Line 6 control panel and nothing seems to change. From the playback devices tab under sound in control panel when I right click on the properties tab and try to change the default format, which is 16 bit, 44100 Hz to 24 bit, 44100 Hz, it says that the device does not support the format.

Could it be that this is the problem? I mean, I find it hard to believe since I've read that it can function on that specific bitrate and sample rate, and now I can't set it to that, and it crackles in my headphones so much that I can't even use it for monitoring. Is there a solution to this?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Update! I took the top off and made sure all he ribbons and leads were secure in he unit. I sprayed contact cleaner in and around the master vol.

Pot. and contact leads on the headphone jack. SUCCESS!!! hope this helps someone. If you do decide to try it. BE CAREFUL.

• 1 month later...

Update! I took the top off and made sure all he ribbons and leads were secure in he unit. I sprayed contact cleaner in and around the master vol.

Pot. and contact leads on the headphone jack. SUCCESS!!! hope this helps someone. If you do decide to try it. BE CAREFUL.

I'll try that some of these days, but I doubt that's the source since it's fine at lower volumes. 

Nice tip!! Thank You.

I have the same symptom with my X3Pro but I run it into the HD500 and monitor from the phones jack on that. I was thinking of using a Q-Tip with cleaner and gently going into the X3Pro phones jack to clean it. I'm pretty sure the culprit is the phones jack being tinged a bit 'cause thats all it really takes to mess with the signal.

Update: I just tried that jack again with my DT990 (600 Ohm) phones and it was still all scratchy-hissy sounding so I took a pair of smaller (low impedance) phones  I had and plugged them in and they worked perfectly. After doing this I've determined that the DT990's work better out of the HD500 and that the X3Pro Jack is working normally.