Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Anyone else need more volume from headphone output?

Thurston9

Plug the headphones into another source (stereo, iphone, etc,) and see if that's loud using them.

If it is there's something going on with the headphone output.

If they are also not loud enough then have your headphones (and or ears) checked out.

48 minutes ago, Verne-Bunsen said:

I use the same headphones and there is plenty of volume on tap. How are the levels going to a monitor or into your DAW?

Levels are fine there, plenty on tap but not controlled by headphone control as far as I know (?)

6 hours ago, Thurston9 said:

Levels are fine there, plenty on tap but not controlled by headphone control as far as I know (?)

The main output levels are not controlled by the headphone level, but if the levels were unusually low there as well then it would indicate an issue with the levels / gain staging within the signal chain of the preset. However if those levels are good and you are getting insufficient volume at the headphones, I’d suspect an issue with the headphones themselves or with your Helix’s headphone amp. I use the same headphones and rarely go past 50% volume.

16 hours ago, Verne-Bunsen said:

The main output levels are not controlled by the headphone level, but if the levels were unusually low there as well then it would indicate an issue with the levels / gain staging within the signal chain of the preset. However if those levels are good and you are getting insufficient volume at the headphones, I’d suspect an issue with the headphones themselves or with your Helix’s headphone amp. I use the same headphones and rarely go past 50% volume.

That's a bummer.  Headphones are brand new, I'll try on something else to rule them out.  Helix is out of warranty so hope the amp is ok.

I have this problem from time to time and it seems more to do with the amp settings and Helix's headphone output than my actual headphones.   Unless I max out the master and channel volume, the output isn't enough to get to the sweet spot on my 250ohm BD 880s.  If I want the master on 7 or so, I have to add a Gain block.  

14 minutes ago, erabjohns said:

I have this problem from time to time and it seems more to do with the amp settings and Helix's headphone output than my actual headphones.   Unless I max out the master and channel volume, the output isn't enough to get to the sweet spot on my 250ohm BD 880s.  If I want the master on 7 or so, I have to add a Gain block.  

Yes!  Glad someone else has the same problem. 

It's weird that we can't get enough volume vs others who seem to have way more volume available than they can stand.  If it was close, I'd say it's just a preference thing but that isn't the case here.

Was letting a bass player mess with my helix for a few days. Ive never used headphones with helix, nor even the headphone jack, but thats what he chose to use. As i was giving him a crash course on how to navigate helix, the hard volume pretty consistently ran around 35%. This is bass mind you. Getting up into the 50% to 60% range would be where he would start to comment about it being too loud. Most all the block volumes were at their default as i was just trying to give a quick crash course. Dude played pretty regularly on the Tampa thrash scene in the  mid to late 80's, so his judgement of what "loud" is, cant be too too far off.

Just describing my one and only headphone experience after almost 3 years with helix.

On 2/12/2019 at 11:43 PM, Thurston9 said:

I was just playing around with it and there is a significant volume drop when I switch the output from multi to 1/4 or anything else.  What's the deal here?

Have you tried to change the global settings for the headphones monitor? ...So if you use 1/4 in the preset then use 1/4 in the global settings, otherwise the signal will be mixed with the muted XLR.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Peter said:

Have you tried to change the global settings for the headphones monitor? ...So if you use 1/4 in the preset then use 1/4 in the global settings, otherwise the signal will be mixed with the muted XLR.

Thanks Peter! I don't understand completely, but will play around with those settings and figure out if this is my issue.  I have a feeling this could be just the ticket!

18 minutes ago, Thurston9 said:

Thanks Peter! I don't understand completely, but will play around with those settings and figure out if this is my issue.  I have a feeling this could be just the ticket!

For example, if you set the headphones monitor settings to multi, than a volume drop is normal when you switch the output from multi to 1/4 or anything else.

...but it should still be loud enought

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Peter said:

25 minutes ago, Peter said:

For example, if you set the headphones monitor settings to multi, than a volume drop is normal when you switch the output from multi to 1/4 or anything else.

...but it should still be loud enought

This was definitely most or all of the issue, thanks so much.  This isn't intuitive to me that it should work like this so I never would have tracked it down without your advice.