Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Rename amps and effects

ebodave

Hi, just bought a Helix LT and am enjoying getting to grips with it. Now, I'm aware I can rename presets - but can I rename the amps and effects themselves (eg change "Scream 808" to "Tube Screamer" etc) - and if so how? I've tried googling this but to no effect. Thanks in advance!

The actual effects/amps cannot be renamed. 

I've been waiting for the ability to save 'custom' settings for effects, and if that was the case you could save that setting as whatever you like.  The Fractal/Boss units I had...had that ability and it was nice.  I could save a "Rhythm Tubescreamer", "Lead Tubescreamer" as well as a "Gritty JCM800" and "80's JCM 800" without having to copy/paste from a different preset....after I remember what preset had the settings I wanted. 

• Like 3

You can't rename the original names, but you can (or should be able to) rename the blocks if you want. When you insert a Scream 808 it will show as such but you can rename the block to read "Tube Screamer". The problem is, you have to do that every time, in every patch, with every effect, and that can get tedious.

I have never tried to rename a block on the Helix but I used to rename the blocks on my HX Effects, then decided it was just easier to learn the new lingo :)

1 hour ago, themetallikid said:

I've been waiting for the ability to save 'custom' settings for effects, and if that was the case you could save that setting as whatever you like. 

That's a whole different topic... I'd love to have this feature as well. 

• Like 2

Yeah saving custom settings with custom names would really open up the Helix for me....as far as saving time when trying to create new things.  I don't get a ton of time to really tweak.  I have my core sounds, and then usually have to go off that....however, if I want a new sound, I have to start from scratch   amp/IR then add a preEQ, then add a post EQ, then add, and add and add....and with each 'add' you have to tweak from scratch each time....where as if I want a clean sound with a dirt pedal mixed 60%, I can just recall my fave clean amp settings, and then drop in my saved 'Sparkle Drive' pedal in front, and maybe adjust something, but that should get me more ballpark than starting from scratch. 

even having a 'template' saved, still means I have to disable what I don't need right away, then turn things on.....tweak....remove blocks I don't want/need etc.....

DI talked about his pet peeve, this is one of mine.  I don't need 200 amps like some other boxes have, just let me save the different sounds I get with the amps that are here and I can get more sounds that I need to quickly with ease.

(sorry to hijack on a tangent there, lol)

• Like 2

• 8 months later...
On 2/11/2019 at 6:45 AM, ebodave said:

Hi, just bought a Helix LT and am enjoying getting to grips with it. Now, I'm aware I can rename presets - but can I rename the amps and effects themselves (eg change "Scream 808" to "Tube Screamer" etc) - and if so how? I've tried googling this but to no effect. Thanks in advance!

Wow, this would make life so much easier...

This has been mentioned many times before, but to repeat.....

You can create any number of 'template' presets that contain your customized default versions of FX blocks. Then you copy/paste them when creating new presets. The presets containing your default block settings would never be used as actual presets; they're just a repository for your default settings. The Templats setlist is a natural place for them to live.

I would love the option to give blocks custom names.

Sometimes I end up with multiple EQ blocks or Compressors, each for a distinct purpose. Would be great to give them names like "mid scoop" or "bass cut" for instance. Would make complex presets much simpler to work with.

On 2/11/2019 at 6:18 PM, codamedia said:

You can't rename the original names, but you can (or should be able to) rename the blocks if you want. When you insert a Scream 808 it will show as such but you can rename the block to read "Tube Screamer". The problem is, you have to do that every time, in every patch, with every effect, and that can get tedious.

Where and how do I do that? I only know you can rename the footswitch scribble strips in case you've assigned something to them.