Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

EQ low/hi cuts....visual???

themetallikid

Does anyone have any sort of graphs using some fancy equipment i can't afford that shows the rolloffs of the low/hi cuts of the various EQ's?  

We have moved to a new PA system and I'm struggling with getting the right high end bite without shrill/ice pick 'noise'.  I had it dialed in pretty well with my 'current/ex' soundguy...and as much as he raved about my latest presets being my best....I do not know what he was doing in the mixer.  

I've setup a few test presets with different snapshots....each one with increasing/decreasing low/hi cuts so I can hear which sounds best with the current speaker setup, however....

If I find a rolloff range that works well in my preset, I'd like to set that as the range on the boards low/hi cuts.   

NOW....I know some will frown about that, but it would save me a block in my chain, and if all my presets sound good at 120/8k, then I dont see the issue with setting a 'global EQ cut' at that range.  Sure there may be some that require more/less of a cut, but as long as the global on the lowest/highest setting of whatever I decide is where it sits, it shouldnt affect anything more than it should.  

Just looking for something that shows me the visual curves of those low/hi cuts as our mixer is the Behringer Xair series, and I can see the EQ curves for my guitars channel.  

any help?

EQ blocks may technically be the better way to go, but I find just using the cuts on the cab blocks to be sufficient. And if you already have a cab setup somewhere (which you presumably do), then you don't need to use another block for a high or low cut.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, njglover said:

EQ blocks may technically be the better way to go, but I find just using the cuts on the cab blocks to be sufficient. And if you already have a cab setup somewhere (which you presumably do), then you don't need to use another block for a high or low cut.

I get your points...

however, at the end of my chain, I still prefer to have an EQ (usually parametric) where I adjust the low/hi cuts as I run direct to the board.  With my last presets I was hovering around 120-12k, but with the new PA we are using the 12k seems a bit high as I get lots of shrill bite and am thinking I may 'globally' on the board want to roll that down to around 8k or something, that way I can save one extra block in my chain if possible. 

I don't use the stock cabs, I'm using some IR's I prefer.  I typically blend 2 of them (please give us a stereo IR block so we don't have to use the parallel option for this) one is the typical front of the cab, the other is a 'rear' cab sound which I blend in just enough to give it some more depth and resonance in the low end. Works well for me....