Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hello all - and a question

Firstly hello all - first time poster.

I have just bought a Variax 500 and am having great fun investigating the different tones.

But I have a problem.

On batteries, it is fine. It did come with a XPS footswitch that the previous owner (who also bought it used) had never used because it had no power supply - I bought it knowing that and not expecting him to guarantee something he hadn't used. So I have bought a power supply (Ebay) which was described as suitable and a stereo cable. Plugging the adaptor into the footswitch gives me a steady red light (and obviously a green light on either the jack or XLR outputs. Plugging it into the guitar makes the red light alternate between red and green - but no sound out of the other end into an amp. Touching the end of the stereo cable gives the normal 'touching a guitar lead' noise and I've tried another (very short!) stereo lead that gives the same results.

Does anyone have any idea what's wrong? The foot switch? The guitar? The power supply? Any hints gratefully received!

Thanks! Jon

PS I have looked through the FAQs but couldn't find this problem...

The XPS footswitch is sensitive to the power supply used .... I learned that when trying different, cheaper ones. The Line 6 supply is the only one I've ended up using. I've not experienced the red/green alternating light you're experiencing, though. This will be difficult to troubleshoot unless you try an "official" Line 6 power supply; then you'll know for sure if the XPS is OK.

15 minutes ago, BananaYogi said:

I do wonder if the power supply I bought has the wrong polarity on the plug...

I'm pretty sure the XPS uses an AC power supply... the Line 6 PX-2. With an AC power supply, polarity is irrelevant.

If you bought a DC power supply, it won't work, and could cause a lot of damage.

The spec on your adaptor is a good match. It "should" work, but not guaranteed it supplying what the XPS needs. Hopefully you can suss out which component is bad (the power supply or the XPS) and get refunds as applicable.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BananaYogi said:

No, it claims to be an AC/AC adaptor. 9V 2000mA.

Exactly what the XPS wants.... 

A few thing you may want to check

• Test that new TRS Cable to make sure it is operating properly? Tip to tip, ring to ring, sleeve to sleeve. All should be independent. 
  • If you have a multi meter.... check the voltage on the sleeve/ring of the TRS when plugged in... it should be somewhere around 7 - 8 volts. 
  • DO NOT keep the battery's plugged in when using the XPS/TRS connection. I haven't experienced any issues myself when I forget to remove the batteries, but I have read about a few potential problems. 

Good luck! 

Try TRS into XPS but do not connect the other end to the guitar or allow it to touch anything conductive.  Does the XPS power LED remain solid on?  If yes, that pretty much rules out bad cable.

One time my 500 refused to work with qualified TRS cable to XPS.  As soon as it plugged into the guitar LED went OFF.  Removed the back cover and felt around main board components.  Something was kinda warm.  I poked the area with a Sharpie, plugged in TRS-XPS and it’s worked fine ever since.  Although plugging in from XPS guitar sound goes on/off 3-4 times but eventually stays on.  

I never use battery pack with XPS.

And yes, 9VAC 2A should be plenty power supply.  

I suspect it is the XPS itself. 

I have bought a second hand Pod XT live and the guitar works fine through that without the battery pack in it using the ethernet type cable. 

Since I can now use the Pod, I guess the XPS is less needed - I can use batteries if I don't want to be bothered setting everything up. I will keep my eyes open for a used XPS and if one comes up for cheap will probably get it.

Many thanks for the help and advice everyone!

Now all I have to do is figure out what everything does on the pod - it might take some time....

Cheers - Jon

I had an XPS fail on me, and found that the IC chip was bad. Replaced it and all was well again.

If shopping used, also look for the Line 6 XPS Mini (no XLR out, no switch, just the basics - stereo line in, mono line out), and uses the same power supply