Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Fender Clean?

mbarbara

I've always really liked the sound of my 8-string through a clean fender amp (usually a Fender Deluxe) with the pickups set to single coil, but I can't quite seem to recreate that sound in the Helix. It's got a certain tightness and "slap" that just doesn't come through when I try messing with the fender amps in the Helix. I even tried using my own Fender Twin cab IRs.

I need something crisp and spanky but still clean, can anyone tell me what to do?

I use a Fender Deluxe "model" for all of my live work... mostly because I used to play a Fender Deluxe and a Fender Vibrolux. I am very familiar with what they can do. 

IME: The Deluxe Model in the Helix responds pretty much exactly like the real ones do. My gain (volume) hovers around 4 and my tone stack is pretty much the same as I used to set my amp. I don't use the stock cab... I'm using an Ownhammer IR made from a 112 Deluxe Combo with a 121 and 421 mic combo and it sounds exactly like I am accustomed to hearing. 

But that's my experience, obviously not yours. I can respect that. 

If you are not getting the clean tones you want from the Fenders, might I suggest trying the Placater Clean or even the "WhoWatt" (Hiwatt).

IMO... the cab/mic choice is also more than half the battle, you may also want to check out this video from Jason Sadites on making the most out of stock cabs... it's a great lesson. 

I get great sparkling Fender clean tones using the Tweed Bassman Normal and Bright Amps.

You do have to do some tweaking of course to get exactly what you are looking for, but it's in there for sure.

The cabs / mics / ir's can make a huge difference  (pay attention to low and hi cuts on the cabs as well)

What you play the Helix through makes a huge difference as well. Tiny speakers will never sound completely like big ones. 

Try going into an effects loop on a good tube amp with a good speaker cabinet to really hear how great the Helix amps can sound.

On 2/12/2019 at 5:59 PM, codamedia said:

I use a Fender Deluxe "model" for all of my live work... mostly because I used to play a Fender Deluxe and a Fender Vibrolux. I am very familiar with what they can do. 

IME: The Deluxe Model in the Helix responds pretty much exactly like the real ones do. My gain (volume) hovers around 4 and my tone stack is pretty much the same as I used to set my amp. I don't use the stock cab... I'm using an Ownhammer IR made from a 112 Deluxe Combo with a 121 and 421 mic combo and it sounds exactly like I am accustomed to hearing.

Would you mind sharing a few of you tone stack settings combined with your guitar type, pickup, tone and volume settings you use with them? I never had the opportunity to get my own experience on a Deluxe and struggle to get really different cleans on Fenders (from creamy mellow over full bodied to bushy eyed bright or funky). 

2 hours ago, MartinDorr said:

Would you mind sharing a few of you tone stack settings combined with your guitar type, pickup, tone and volume settings you use with them?

Sure... these are my basic setups listed below.

I run each guitar through it's own preset, and I change pickup differences via snapshots. Generally the amp is pretty clean, I always run my guitar volume and tone on full, and I get any overdrive sounds from effects, not from the amp.

• Telecasaster Bridge Pickup > Deluxe Normal Channel > Volume 4 > Bass 4 > Mid 6 (this is fixed to 6 on a real Deluxe and can't be changed) > Treble 4 > Presence 0 > Sag/Bias, etc.... are default. 
  • Telecaster Middle and Neck Pickup > Same settings, lower the bass to 3 and raise the treble to 5 or 6
  • Strat Bridge/middle/neck Pickup > Deluxe Normal Channel > Volume 5 > Bass 5 > Mid 6 > Treble 4 > Presence 0 > Sag/Bias/Master, etc.... are default. 
  • Strat Quack positions (B/M & M/N) > Same Strat Settings... Lower Bass to 3 or 4 & raise treble to 6

Remember, I use an Ownhammer IR for a cab block... I also use an always on "LA Studio Comp" near the end of the chain... I'm pretty sure it is close to default settings.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Simon268 said:

@codamedia I played around with your examples and landed at some really nice sounds. :-D :-D

.... even with my 'LP-alike'. ;-) Thank you very much for sharing!

Glad it worked out for you... or at least got you started down the path.

2 hours ago, Simon268 said:

Can you tell you 'drive' setting(s)? Master on default?

You don't happen to have some experience with LesPaul-like guitars by any chance? ;-)

When I say "volume" in my examples I actually mean "drive".... sorry for the confusion.

The master is left as it's DEFAULT which I believe is 10 with the Deluxe. 

The CHANNEL VOLUME is just set to taste and to help balance with other tracks. 

I do own a Les Paul, but have not set that up on the Helix yet. I just got the Helix about 3 months ago (upgraded from an HX Effects) but I did have an HD500 for years, and an X3 Live before that, and a POD Bean before that... you get the idea :) I'm familiar with Line 6 products.