Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Jtv69 Pickup Heights

I know that the pickups are spec'd per James Tyler.  How do they compare with regular strat pickups?  Are they hotter?  I'm playing with pickup heights and wondered where they should be set as a starting point in respect to strat.  I know that its a matter of tone, but I need a starting point.

Anyone want to share your pickup heights that you like or advice?

Well, what do you mean by regular Strat pickups? There are so many different types of pickups used on Strats, and everyone has different preferences as to how they want them to sound. I would say a more useful comparison would be comparing the output of the Spank model on the JTV with the magnetic pickups. I would think ideally you'd want those to be roughly in the same ballpark level wise.

The JTV-69 single coil PU's are constructed like vintage Fender Strat PU's with 6 separate slug magnets with the typical high magnetic flux that can "pull" the lower strings (like a real '61 Fender Strat btw) so its important not to set the JTV-69 single coil PU height too close to the higher mass low E, A, D, strings, else a "pseudo chorus" pitch fluctuating effect will be heard due to the high mag flux and string oscillation.

(see it here) 

I have D'Addario .010-.046 Strings on my 2011 Korean JTV-69 (S-S-H) and these are my PU clearance between the strings and the top of the PU Pole piece.

Bass Side        Treble Side            

---------------------------------------     

Neck PU:     0.248" inch       0.20" inch 

Middle PU:   0.214 inch       0.1825" inch

Bridge PU:   0.11" inch        0.11" inch

To my ears this produces a balanced "wobble free" Strat Tone, with plenty of bite for Blues