Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Instructions for getting Spider V Remote on PC W/ Cloud Access

joestides

This isn't a request, this is actually a solution. Mind you the performance of your PC, will determine how usable it is. I am also pretty sure that this isn't news to some of you, I just haven't found anything yet on these forums detailing that someone else has done this.

I have pictured, my desktop, with both the Windows version and the Android version (in a vbox emulator) running simultaneously.  If you notice, the Android version (on the right) has usb OTG access to my 240 HC, while my PC version does not. This is because it won't let me share with usb access with the PC and the Vmachine to the same bus at the same time. When I shut down the Android emulation, it gives me USB access from the PC version.

What this means is that I can download tones from the cloud, using the Android app, and by saving them to my tone bank in my Spider V, I can then shut down the Android app, and then edit said tone in Windows without having to change from a tablet/phone to my PC.

Directions are forthcoming...

SVR android on PC.jpg

Let me first confess that I can offer little to no tech support on this. These are the directions that worked from me. Use them at your own risk. I wish you good luck and god speed.

The length of these instructions may make it seem a daunting and complicated task. In reality, it is only that long because I was trying to be as detailed as possible. There are really just 5 steps to the whole process:

1. Download/Install emulation software
2. Run/Configure software
3. Install Spider V remote within software
4. Run Spider V Remote in Emulator
5. Profit!!!

Honestly, If you can install a game on your PC, this is pretty much just as easy. The whole process should take you no more than ten minutes, depending on the speed of your computer.

System Requirements for the emulator:

Microsoft Windows 7, 8/8.1, 10 (32/64 bit)
64 bit CPU, with VT-x or AMD-V capability, enabled in BIOS settings

Recent and dedicated GPU
400 MB disk space
2GB RAM

1. First things first you need to download the emulation and virtual box software from here . 
2. Click the "Sign In" Link in the upper right-hand corner, and then click at the bottom to "Create an account"
3. After you fill out the form it should send you a confirmation email, go to the email and confirm.

4. Click this link to "Download Genymotion Personal Edition"
5. Choose The option with the Virtual Box

Note: There are also versions available for Mac and Linux if you scroll down.

6. Install the software; You will be installing Genymotion, Visual C+ 2008, and Oracle Virtual Box. It's pretty much automatic until you get to the VBOX install, just keep clicking "next" until...

networkinterefaces.jpg.688b663e7e5c3580788a668beb726508.jpg

Click "Yes"

Then click through and when you get here...

1358723977_USBinstall.jpg.52546417e31df88303b61f3b35668bb6.jpg

Click "Install"

Then click through to complete the install

When done You will choose to Run Oracle VirtualBox by leaving the check mark in the box upon finishing install, but you will uncheck "run Genymotion" on the other dialogue box and hit finish.

7. When you run VirtualBox it will ask you if you want to upgrade to a new version... go ahead and click the link and download the new version. Shutdown the old version and Run the install. Same deal as before with the Network and USB devices, finish install and Run.

8. Run Genymotion, Don't run Genymotion Shell.

9. Genymotion will boot up and ask you to log in with that brand spanking new login you made.. go ahead.

10. Click "Personal Use" and then Next, then agree to the End Use word salad...next 

11. If everything went well, you should be seeing the following...1795691849_Genymotionmain.thumb.jpg.b165a48399ec8e72f84df5218e6e8463.jpg

12. Now here's the deal. When you pick a device you probably want to pick out a tablet with a greater length than height, (though not necessary)

You must pick a device that is Android 8.0 or higher, otherwise you will not be able to load the app store on to it.  There are filters to the left to help weed through the devices. If you are looking to not mess with anything too drastically, then I'd recommend the Google Pixel C  Android 8.0 version. On your filters under Form Factor check "Large Tablet" and under Android API check "8.0- API 26"  Double Click (not on the three dots to the right) and you get a pop up.Pixel.thumb.jpg.33310c3366316d888c16e21a7a9522fe.jpgresolution.thumb.jpg.7ce7f76b1df1284dfd3d452d64502859.jpg

If you so choose, you can change the resolution: 1280x800 is fine and might not be so slow. You can keep the higher resolution if you want, even if the resolution on your monitor is lower. It will still fit on your desktop and you can shrink the size of the window... when you have finished, click "install."

Once you do this the new device should show 

13. Go to your VirtualBox Manager, and it should look like so...
vbox.jpg.60c3fad7e34fd42d51ddca4643a19609.jpg

If the field is empty, close down the Vbox manager and Genymotion, then restart the Vbox manager, then Genymotion, and go back to step 12.

14. Click on the device, (in the example above it's Google Pixel C), the settings button should go from grey to gold, Click the settings button. Plug the USB from your Spider V amp to your computer

USB.jpg.54506fd551f863a1c4d2a35057c871b9.jpg

On the pop up that opens click on left where it says "USB" then on the right click the second button down with the green "+" and choose "Line 6, inc Spider V...." Then click okay.

15. Go back to Genymotion,  you can either click the three dots to the left and edit your resolution or just start it up. Be patient this could take a bit, depending on your system.

16. If all you get is a window with a black screen that says "for personal use only" at the bottom, the you are out of luck. Your computer, like my laptop (I am finding this out right as I'm writing this), will not run it. Sorry. I'm guessing it was because my Laptop doesn't really have anything resembling a decent GPU. It is 10 years old after all.

17. You should get something like the pic below...
gapps.jpg.3674b09b40046e10840c649271733719.jpg

On the top right hand side, below the windows "X" is button.... click it. This should start the dialogue to install GAPPs... it basically installs the google play store.
Once it is loaded you will need to restart the tablet... just hit the x then restart it from Genymotion.

Continued...

At this point if Gapps fails to install, it is likely that you chose a device that is using an API other than version 8.0 or 9.0... so go back to step 12... geeze.

Also after Gapps installs, a browser tab or window will pop up... just close it, you don't need it.

18. When the device finishes rebooting, take your mouse near  bottom middle of the window, click and drag up (as if you would with your finger on a tablet) and that will take you to your apps... Click on the play store playstore.jpg.b4f040334bc07a51cf5947721dbfbde5.jpg and sign in, using your gmail.... agree to the terms... now you should be in the Play Store

You may notice that the device may be laggy, especially if you didn't lower the resolution. 

19. In the search bar in the Play Store search for "Spider Remote" and "install" the app.

20. When it is finished installing, click "start" and then wait for the app to load, swipe (click and hold) left, sign in, agree, and it will also ask if you want the app to access your USB....

Wala!!

!final.jpg.1b36e7eb92bb05c46b8a403c4139435c.jpg

Okay so if it is running slow, shut down the device and in hit those three dots to the right and click "edit" to adjust the resolution, that should make it workable.

Once you are all set, use this to download tones from the Cloud to your tone bank in your Spider V, shut down the device then open up the PC version to edit, save to your bank again, shut down the PC version, the start up the device and the Android version to upload tones to the Cloud....

It seems a bit much, but it's probably the best way to do it until Line 6 adds cloud functionality to the PC app, if that is indeed in the future...

I will help if I can, but, as I said, you are on your own for the most part. I hope this helps

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 2/21/2019 at 3:06 PM, Rayk86ss said:

Has anyone tried installing Remix OS on a laptop (dual boot)?  I'm thinking that an actual Android for PC operating system would be faster/better than an emulator.  Or perhaps the USB interface would not work... 

I'm sure it would be worth a try. The whole point though of emulating is to allow for uploading, downloading from the tone Cloud, and desktop recording, without having to switch from your Windows desktop to a mobile device.  If all you were looking for was a larger screen for your android app, then I would totally advocate using Remix. I'm curious if it's compatible.

10 hours ago, SeaRefractor said:

I'm suprised this hasn't been advertised well, but you can now download from the following and when checking seems to be the tone cloud.

https://line6.com/customtone/browse/spiderv/

You can then save these to a folder and use the IMPORT feature.

Yes but the site doesn't share a database with the cloud as of yet

check it. Searching Queen on the Custome Tone site gets you 8 results... searching it on the cloud on the Android, gets you 30+.cloud.thumb.jpg.bd2d80fbb283756715da71e53b6cecc3.jpg  Furthermore I don't think you can download the custometone files to your android and use them with the android app.... it would be nice though if they would merge the two databases...