Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix XLR vs 1/4 can you hear the difference?

gioline6

Really???  You think there's any noticeable differences there?  Pretty much all sound the same listening on my Yamaha HS7 studio speakers, but then I'm not really a much of a cork sniffer when it comes to speaker minutiae.  I doubt you, a single audience member or any of your bandmates could pick out which setting you're using on a consistent basis in a double blind test...and that's the REAL test.

In a test like this it is imperative to be volume matched or your ears will perceive a difference that doesn't actually exist.

In my setup I have never noticed any difference in tone between the XLR and 1/4". If there was a difference in the video, it's marginal. More important, if there was a difference in the video who's to say it isn't the Alto's inputs that sound different. 

According to the video description on YouTube... the biggest difference was noise, with the XLR being quieter. That shouldn't surprise anyone.... as unbalanced lines are more susceptible to noise. 

On 2/15/2019 at 1:42 PM, DunedinDragon said:

Really???  You think there's any noticeable differences there?  Pretty much all sound the same listening on my Yamaha HS7 studio speakers, but then I'm not really a much of a cork sniffer when it comes to speaker minutiae.  I doubt you, a single audience member or any of your bandmates could pick out which setting you're using on a consistent basis in a double blind test...and that's the REAL test.

Hi, thank you for your comment, please read the description under my youtube video, my opinion is the same as yours

On 2/15/2019 at 2:44 PM, codamedia said:

In a test like this it is imperative to be volume matched or your ears will perceive a difference that doesn't actually exist.

In my setup I have never noticed any difference in tone between the XLR and 1/4". If there was a difference in the video, it's marginal. More important, if there was a difference in the video who's to say it isn't the Alto's inputs that sound different. 

According to the video description on YouTube... the biggest difference was noise, with the XLR being quieter. That shouldn't surprise anyone.... as unbalanced lines are more susceptible to noise. 

thanks for your feedback, the volume is adjusted on the same level as you rightly pointed out, I did this test because I was sick of the nonsense about this :-)for me the difference is practically nothing, I use the cable that I have available without spending any more money

11 hours ago, gioline6 said:

Hi, thank you for your comment, please read the description under my youtube video, my opinion is the same as yours

So I have to ask, If you also think that they sound the same, then why post the video?

I have an idea for a usefull video:
Let's prepare loud ground loop or/and  EMI noise enviroment:
1. Connect Hx with 1/4 TS jacks
2. Connect Hx with 1/4 TS jack by a transformer isolator (like Behringer HD400)
3. Connect Hx with 1/4 TRS jack (Yes, Hx 1/4' outputs and sends use TRS impedance balanced connections)
4. Connect HX with 1/4 TRS jack by a transformer isolator
5. Connect Hx with XLR (no ground lift)
6. Connect Hx with XLR (ground lifted) 
7. Connect Hx with XLR by di-box with balanced XLR input grounded
8. Connect Hx with XLR by di-box with balanced XLR ground lifted

Also connect laptop to Hx thru USB with PSU :)
...also connect your guitar amp 

Then you can henestly share your observations or even call it "experience" ;)

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, spikey said:

So I have to ask, If you also think that they sound the same, then why post the video?

hi, i follow a discussion in the helix group on facebook and many friends talked about this topic, so we decided to do a test to better address the topic and try to understand if there were actually all these differences, as the video was very appreciated on the facebook group I had the pleasure to share it here and hear other opinions.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, zolko60 said:

I have an idea for a usefull video:
Let's prepare loud ground loop or/and  EMI noise enviroment:
1. Connect Hx with 1/4 TS jacks
2. Connect Hx with 1/4 TS jack by a transformer isolator (like Behringer HD400)
3. Connect Hx with 1/4 TRS jack (Yes, Hx 1/4' outputs and sends use TRS impedance balanced connections)
4. Connect HX with 1/4 TRS jack by a transformer isolator
5. Connect Hx with XLR (no ground lift)
6. Connect Hx with XLR (ground lifted) 
7. Connect Hx with XLR by di-box with balanced XLR input grounded
8. Connect Hx with XLR by di-box with balanced XLR ground lifted

Also connect laptop to Hx thru USB with PSU :)
...also connect your guitar amp 

Then you can henestly share your observations or even call it "experience" ;)

thank you for your advise, this video is only part of the test we did together with other musician friends, both in live and in studio we found minimal differences, I hope that the fact of not speaking well the English language did not create misunderstandings:
in various discussions on facebook and in other groups many said they felt a huge difference, so we decided to do this test (the video is my part of thetest) other users have done other experiments (Ebtech Hum eliminator, helix + mixer, helix + transistor power amp etc etc)

I hear a subtle difference - xlr sounds a bit less harsh anyway have an Alto TS310 on the way what do you think of yours compared to an amp - thinking of dumping my amp from YT videos looks like I will be pretty happy with it and lot less weight to lug around, not for gigging just to jam at guitar teachers house - thanks for sharing video

• Like 1

19 hours ago, rsvette12 said:

I hear a subtle difference - xlr sounds a bit less harsh anyway have an Alto TS310 on the way what do you think of yours compared to an amp - thinking of dumping my amp from YT videos looks like I will be pretty happy with it and lot less weight to lug around, not for gigging just to jam at guitar teachers house - thanks for sharing video

hi thank you , i  have a pair of Alto 212 Ts, before I had a  marshall 9200 100 watts + a 1960 4x12 cab, i am very happy with the Alto (less weight, sounds better etc etc) my only problem is that the 212 are a little boomy, i have always to low cut from 120 hz upwards

• Like 1