Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Effects & High Frequency Whistle

Big-Tone

Hi,

I'm just setting up my new HX effects pedalboard to replace my previous TC Nova unit, and would like to run it using 4CM. 

I haven't created any of my own banks yet only the pre-installed being used. But when hooking it up in 4CM there is an awful high frequency whistle in the background constantly (which changes pitch slightly when switching between the Line6 4CM template banks). This instantly goes away when removing the send /receive cables and running all effects at the front. 

At the moment it is only the guitar straight in and out to amp via HX effects box. I have the washing machine on at the moment but on a completely separate power circuit so the fact the hum is there only on 4CM is intriguing me? I'll try again on machine cycle end to see if it was appliance "noise" interferring and run all at front for the moment (sounds OK anyway) but would like to know if I am making a newbies error here?

Thanks for reading

Tony

You didn't say what amp you are using? 

Try to connect the send and return without the helix - one simple cable - to see what you get.

That's the first test of your send and return.

Then try the next cable - that will test your cables.

So you are trying to eliminate all the possibilities.

If all is good then connect the HXFX - just with a send and return - no effects in that loop using those same cables.

It's just like sorting your pedal board - if it is still fine problem solved - if not you have something useful to report.

Great advice by rvroberts... start at the beginning and test everything to eliminate that as the potential problem. 

I will only add... is the loop in your amp LINE LEVEL or INSTRUMENT level? 

That is important to know so you can set the loop settings on your HX Effects appropriately. 

3 hours ago, Big-Tone said:

Oh and Mesa Dual Rectifier Recto-Verb 25

From the manual of that amp....

------------

NOTE: Because the MASTER Control determines the send level of the FX Loop, extreme settings may cause possible overloading of FX processor’s or pedal’s Input stage, but also may make balancing the two channels’ FX Send level difficult.

-----------

It says the Master volume of each channel alters the FX SEND LEVEL? IMO, Randall Smith made a huge mistake with that design! I think you will have a hard time balancing a 4CM with that amp... I'd recommend just running everything into the front end of the amp. 

if you really want to try 4cm with that setup... Set your HX Effects LOOP to LINE in the global settings and turn down the SEND level (in the loop block) to -6 or maybe even lower so you don't drive the front of the amp to hard.

Either that... or insert a SEND BLOCK (#1) set to Instrument level, and then add a RETURN BlOCK (#2) set to LINE level... but that takes up two blocks. 

Just my opinion!