Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Effects tuner

Brofsu

Just got a brand new amp, Dr Z Max 18

and want to use Effects loop, but not 4 cable method, 3 cables cuz I want more than just running into front of amp.

im a rookie, new at this so step by step plug in procedure would be appreciated.

Firmware 7.1 and tuner on HX Effects is awful.    Flying all over the place and hard to get accurate, that’s why I wanted to use old reliable TC Electronics tuner.

so simple and accurate when just using a few pedals.

1 minute ago, Brofsu said:

and want to use Effects loop, but not 4 cable method, 3 cables cuz I want more than just running into front of amp.

im a rookie, new at this so step by step plug in procedure would be appreciated.

Firmware 7.1 and tuner on HX Effects is awful.    Flying all over the place and hard to get accurate, that’s why I wanted to use old reliable TC Electronics tuner.

Which mode do you have the HX Effects tuner set to? Have you tried the strobe mode?

I'm not sure what you're meaning by "3 cable method". Do you just want to put the HX Effects in your amp's effects loop?

Sorry, but I’m really not getting your problem here.  I know what you mean about the standard Helix tuner, but since 2.71, you can now select between fine, coarse and strobe tuners (I use the strobe now, and it’s fine), but before that , I just ran my guitar into my boss TU3, then from that into the Helix.  I mean, wherever you plug in your guitar, just put your tuner in the line there.

8 minutes ago, Brofsu said:

I find the strobe tuner to be extremely accurate and reliable.  If you haven't tried that already, try it before you commit to using more real estate with another pedal. You might love it.

With that said, if you decide to use the TC Electronics tuner I think the easiest method is: Guitar >>>> TC Electronics >>>> HX Effects.

Your comments about 3 cable vs. 4 is a bit confusing, though you said you were new at this and I have to admit 4 cable is very confusing when you're just starting.  To be clear though, you said you wanted MORE than just hitting the front of the amp, and the only way to do that is the four cable method. There is a VERY good picture of that in the HX Effects manual that I would recommend over me explaining it here. Nevertheless, here is the method:

Guitar plugged in to HX Effects left mono input port >>>> 1/4 cable out HX Effects Send port in to amp guitar in port >>>> 1/4 cable out amp FX send port in to HX Effects FX return port >>> 1/4 cable out HX Effects output port in to FX return port on amp.  

Below is the link to the FX Effects manual.  The page for the 4 cable approach is page 9:

https://line6.com/data/6/0a020a3d3f4a5a6a1897ecdf6/application/pdf/HX Effects 2.50 Owners Manual - English .pdf

29 minutes ago, Kilrahi said:

I find the strobe tuner to be extremely accurate and reliable.  If you haven't tried that already, try it before you commit to using more real estate with another pedal.

^^^ This ^^^

I put my Peterson tuner away once the strobe was introduced on the HX line. I'm not suggesting the HX tuner is better than the Peterson, but it is comparable. 

As for hooking up an external tuner to the HX Effects... why not follow the tip provided on page 15 in the manual..

"TIP: If you have a favorite pedal tuner and wish to use it instead of the tuner within your HX Effects device, connect Send 1 or 2 to your tuner's input and turn Knob 1 (Tuner Out) to select "Send 1 or 2." This way, every time you hold the TAP footswitch, the HX Effects device will automatically route the signal to your favorite tuner"

Great advice from everyone and I’ll try again tonight.   I’m age 62 but still playin Hendrix, Clapton, Zeppelin, etc thank God.

love it loud with distortion and my classic rock.    Just a bit technologically challenged ya might say but I’m trying.

Learning curve on this HX Effects for me but I love the size and effects.

I’ll get it.

thanks again.

• 6 months later...
On 2/15/2019 at 1:11 PM, phil_m said:

Which mode do you have the HX Effects tuner set to? Have you tried the strobe mode?

I'm not sure what you're meaning by "3 cable method". Do you just want to put the HX Effects in your amp's effects loop?

What are the instructions/steps to configure the tuner for strobe mode?