Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Map physicals output to presets?

Bjarnoe

Hi,

I'm about to purchase the Helix LT, but there's one thing I can't figure out.

I've read the manual, searched Google and also watched a few YouTube videos but can't find anything pinpointing this.

What I would like to know is...Is it possible to change between physical outputs using presets?

My scenario is - I switch the input from an electric guitar to a western. When using the electric guitar the physical output should go from the 1/4" out on the Helix to my tube amp. Then I change my input to my western and by selecting another preset, the Helix output is changed to the XLR out, that is connected to the PA.

Thanks in advance.

Hi.

The Helix LT is an amp modeller.  If you are sure you want to continue using a guitar amp maybe you should investigate the HXFX.

But to answer your question, you can assign your outputs per patch - so you would build a patch (well you might build 10!!??) for one guitar with specific combination of output and use different output for the other  - by assigning that as part of your patch. 

I think the HXFX can do the job if you never want to go into amp modelling and FRFR.  It doesn't have XLR outs, but you could use the sends to feed to the PA. 

You'd probably use a DI as it also doesn't seem to have a ground lift.

The Helix LT does have it all - but at substantially more expense.

If you might be considering FRFR in the future then the Helix LT will do everything you want - just don't expect the amp sims to work into your guitar amp.

• Like 1

On 2/16/2019 at 11:40 AM, Bjarnoe said:

What I would like to know is...Is it possible to change between physical outputs using presets?

Yes, absolutely. You can have your guitar presets set to 1/4" and your other presets on XLR! They will switch at the press of a button.

• Like 1

On 2/17/2019 at 6:41 AM, rvroberts said:

Hi.

The Helix LT is an amp modeller.  If you are sure you want to continue using a guitar amp maybe you should investigate the HXFX.

But to answer your question, you can assign your outputs per patch - so you would build a patch (well you might build 10!!??) for one guitar with specific combination of output and use different output for the other  - by assigning that as part of your patch. 

I think the HXFX can do the job if you never want to go into amp modelling and FRFR.  It doesn't have XLR outs, but you could use the sends to feed to the PA. 

You'd probably use a DI as it also doesn't seem to have a ground lift.

The Helix LT does have it all - but at substantially more expense.

If you might be considering FRFR in the future then the Helix LT will do everything you want - just don't expect the amp sims to work into your guitar amp.

For the record, and to avoid confusing the OP, plenty of people, myself included, use Helix into a tube amp, and not just for FX - I use 4CM and on some patches use amp modelling into the fx return of my amp to colour the sound and get, for example, a more Vox like tone out of my amp. 

I’ve tried the frfr route and I just don’t dig it live - I’m an amp in the room guy.  Of course it’s all personal preference.

I also play acoustic through the Helix and route its signal to the desk via xlr outs.  

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, you can. I also have patches built that use both 1/4" and XLR in the same preset. Signal chain 1A goes to 1/4" for my piezo bridge and signal chain 1B-2B is for my magnetic pickups going XLR. They go to separate inputs on the main board so FOH person can control each.