Jump to content
Peschamel

Help me understand pathes

Recommended Posts

Dear Guitar Cracks

 

I am a rookie and got my Helix LT today. So I am playing The Wall from Pink Floyd at the moment and voilà there is a preset for it. So what I do not understand is the way paths works. When you have a look at the picture: Both paths from the factory preset have multi input an multi output. So when i put my guitar into guitar in an then the 1/4 jack to my soundsystem - what happens? Is it as I would play both pathes simultaniously? It seems for me that way. But what sense does this make? Did Pink Floyd did that? Or is this patch meant for playing stereo? I just don't get it an woul apreciate every help from you guys.

 

Thank you so much and cheers,

 

Peter

IMG_20190217_185046.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Peschamel said:

Dear Guitar Cracks

 

I am a rookie and got my Helix LT today. So I am playing The Wall from Pink Floyd at the moment and voilà there is a preset for it. So what I do not understand is the way paths works. When you have a look at the picture: Both paths from the factory preset have multi input an multi output. So when i put my guitar into guitar in an then the 1/4 jack to my soundsystem - what happens? Is it as I would play both pathes simultaniously? It seems for me that way. But what sense does this make? Did Pink Floyd did that? Or is this patch meant for playing stereo? I just don't get it an woul apreciate every help from you guys.

 

Thank you so much and cheers,

 

Peter

IMG_20190217_185046.jpg

 

Never heard this patch so can't speak on behalf of the creator, but generally speaking yes, you have to ability to run two rigs at the same time or you can build up multiple rigs, than activate/deactivate them via snapshots. I can't see any FX loop blocks in the patch so I assume it was not created with multiple outputs, but you can easily check on the input/output icons. Helix's great DSP gives you many options, I just watched a video on running two rigs at the same time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That ... is a weird looking set of paths. I'm assuming they have different inputs and outputs which would make sense if you wanted to have a dual rig, but that's not as common a scenario so I'm kind of surprised a Pick Floyd preset was done that way.

 

When you look at the far left guitar input and far right guitar output for both paths what does it say?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks so far guys! It is both on multi input and both on multi output - so it plays at the same time, when you plug in a guitar - no idea if it is meant to play this way haha. But I have to say, I think it sounds quite awesome!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Peschamel said:

Thanks so far guys! It is both on multi input and both on multi output - so it plays at the same time, when you plug in a guitar - no idea if it is meant to play this way haha

 

Wow ... interesting. That's definitely not how I would set up something like that. Maybe it sounds great though, I dunno.

 

For example, if one path is supposed to be a rhythm, and the other a lead, I wouldn't meld them. I'd put them on branching paths so you could swap between them.

 

Still, if this is an official Line 6 preset maybe I'm missing something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the looper on Path A, I assume you use that to lay down your rhythm track to say Time or Money.  Switch to Path B for your solo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just called up the preset in Helix Native.... it's just a wet dry setup.

  1. The top row is the dry tone with a couple of overdrives and a compressor into the front of an amp. 
  2. The bottom row is the wet tone. There are two delays to choose, two reverbs to choose and two modulations. 
  3. I can't tell from the Native version... but I suspect the volume blocks at the front of each chain allows you to blend the two as desired with the expression pedal. If it isn't setup automatically that way, it would be easy to do so. 

In the real amp world people run a wet/dry setup all the time. This is no different. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if Gilmour ran a setup very similar to this at some point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, codamedia said:

I just called up the preset in Helix Native.... it's just a wet dry setup.

  1. The top row is the dry tone with a couple of overdrives and a compressor into the front of an amp. 
  2. The bottom row is the wet tone. There are two delays to choose, two reverbs to choose and two modulations. 
  3. I can't tell from the Native version... but I suspect the volume blocks at the front of each chain allows you to blend the two as desired with the expression pedal. If it isn't setup automatically that way, it would be easy to do so. 

In the real amp world people run a wet/dry setup all the time. This is no different. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if Gilmour ran a setup very similar to this at some point.

 

Thanks for weighing in. That's crazy the full Helix can do that kind of merge/blend.

 

Damn it it makes me want one. So I'm kind of glad you solved it, and kind of pissed that now I know. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kilrahi said:

Thanks for weighing in. That's crazy the full Helix can do that kind of merge/blend.

 

For the record...

  • The HX Effects can do it via A/B path but of course doesn't have the amps. You can still separate the dry and wet thought.
  • The HX Stomp can also do it via A/B paths, but you will likely run out of blocks and/or processing power before you reach your goal.

The nice thing about the Helix (Floor/LT/Native) is that it has TWO INDEPENDENT paths, each capable of it's own child A/B path. This patch doesn't even expand into those child A/B paths :) 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can run up to 4 independent paths in Helix rack/floor/LT. Kind of fun to play through 4 different amps simultaneously sometimes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×