Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Spider 4 120 Has No Sound!

razorstage

My spider iv has no sound at all. When i plug the guitar in the tuner doesn.t register either. The closest service center is 2 hours away and all the posts that i've read always suggest going to adamn service center. Is there anything i can do to ge tthis working? Honestly, i'll never buy a line 6 prodict again. What a joke. No one services these things.

Sorry you are (both) having problems.   On the Spider IV 120 - is this a new amp that you just got, or did this suddenly happen?  Are you able to change patches and adjust settings (as shown on the LCD panel)?   Did you try a different guitar and cable?  Factory reset?  Do you have a way to plug an MP3 player into the CD/MP3 input to see if the amp secion of the 120 is working?   Factory-authorized service centers are required for warranty service (no different than any other manufacturer).

Not familiar with the POD, but suggest you make sure you have the correct settings, outputs set correctly (through computer or cabled to amp), etc.

Sorry you are (both) having problems. On the Spider IV 120 - is this a new amp that you just got, or did this suddenly happen? Are you able to change patches and adjust settings (as shown on the LCD panel)? Did you try a different guitar and cable? Factory reset? Do you have a way to plug an MP3 player into the CD/MP3 input to see if the amp secion of the 120 is working? Factory-authorized service centers are required for warranty service (no different than any other manufacturer).

Not familiar with the POD, but suggest you make sure you have the correct settings, outputs set correctly (through computer or cabled to amp), etc.

All of my lights are working as normal. I'll attempt to plug a mp3 player into the back when i get home. Can i buy a new motherboard myself and replace it if needed? I'm not driving 2 hours to get my amp looked at. This is definitely the last line 6 amp i ever purchase, my friend had the same problem. They aren't built well.

Sorry you are (both) having problems.   On the Spider IV 120 - is this a new amp that you just got, or did this suddenly happen?  Are you able to change patches and adjust settings (as shown on the LCD panel)?   Did you try a different guitar and cable?  Factory reset?  Do you have a way to plug an MP3 player into the CD/MP3 input to see if the amp secion of the 120 is working?   Factory-authorized service centers are required for warranty service (no different than any other manufacturer).

When i plug my mp3 player in the back i get no sound either....all of my channels and electronics are working as normal.  Footswitch is good.  Reset the unit a dozen times.  what do you think this could be?

Before you indicated 'all the channels and electronics are working fine', now you say the tuner does not work.  Which FBV foot switch are you using?  Does it work changing the patch channels but the tuner does not work on it?  Unplug the FBV, does the tuner work on the amp itself (by holding in the button to activate)? 

The fact that the MP3 input does not produce any sound would indicate the amp section is not working, (headphones should be used to verify that it is not just the main power-speaker output).  If there is also problems with the preamp section (tuner, FX knobs don't work), then you've got more than one problem.  Only a qualified tech person is going to be able to troubleshoot it.  You could certainly open up the chassis and look for possible burned-out components or loose wires.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm dropping the amp off at a service center today. As soon as this piece of garbage is fixed I'm selling it! to be completely honest with you, it doesn't even model the amps that it is supposed to do very well. when you change channels the volumes fluctuate so much that it takes hours just to program this thing if you want to use it in a live setting. I will be purchasing a Vox Valvetronix as soon as this lump of wood is sold.

Sorry you had problems with it. Of course, like any piece of modern electronics, you need to learn how to use the features (in the case of the volume changes, you have to SAVE into your user patch locations at the channel volumes you want - master volume is not saved).  It's a pretty simple procedure once you learn the steps.  As for the amp modeling, the latest generation of Line 6 modeling is right up there with other manufacturer's modeling offerings.

I know how to use modern technology, thanks. The amp sucks. I just bought a brand spanking new Orange c60 last night. It blows the line 6 the water in every imaginable way. I made a mistake buying the line 6.

I dropped the lollipop 6 off at the service center Tuesday..once it's fixed I'll sell it to someone else who thinks he's getting a great amp...

• 4 years later...

I have the same problem with my Spider 120. It won't accept any signal. In addition, when I plug in the headphones, I hear a strange rapid electronic "click, click, click, click" in one side of the headphones (it doesn't sound like a click track). Nothing plays through the USB port via my iPhone. Every thing lights up in the LCD panel, I can change settings, etc. When I switch to the tuner, it lights up, but again, it registers no signal. I've also recently upgraded to the latest firmware version.

My amp is still under warranty for a couple more months. There are no service centers within 200 miles of my location (I checked on the Line 6 service site). Do you have any suggestions for me or do I have to return it to the factory for warranty work? If it's the latter, please provide a link with instructions on how to do this. I love the amp and just want it back in working condition.

Thanks.

• 4 months later...

@Razorstage did the service center tell you what was wrong with the amp?  I am having the same problem.  All of the lights turn on when I start it up.  No sound out of the speakers and no sound out of the headphone jack.  The tuner turns on but does not receive a signal either.  I do not hear anything out of the amp (no clicking like @bmeeks is hearing).  Did a factory reset as well, which did not resolve the problem.

RMEG - this thread is 4/5 years old, doubt that 'razorstage' comes back here.

Which amp are you using and how old is it?  Unfortunately, amp components do fail.  Have you hooked up the amp to your computer to make sure the firmware is updated?

• 5 years later...

Same problem please. My Spider IV 120 W just stopped giving sound during mid jam. Factory resoration does not help. Turned off and let it rest and then on. I hear the normal pop when it switches on but thereafter no sound. The amp and the front end lights up alright and the patches appear in the window too. No sound. Help. In Pakistan, no service center around here in Lahore.