Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Delete Presets in HX Edit? - HX Effects

spindlebox

You can easily clear all blocks from a preset in one button push on the device. See knob4 after pressing the ACTION button. See Helix manual page 18 for certain limitations on what the Clear All Blocks does.

There is also a Clear All Blocks function in HX Edit. Select any block on the preset then use right-click or a keyboard shortcut. See HX Edit manual page 19.

(btw..... consulting the manuals is always good practice when wondering about something.)

• Downvote 1

3 hours ago, silverhead said:

You can easily clear all blocks from a preset in one button push on the device. See knob4 after pressing the ACTION button

Wouldn't that be two button pushes - LOL!

Thanks for the reminder on that one.... I don't use it myself because although that clears the blocks it doesn't reset the entire patch. Any changes to the I/O blocks or Command Center are not cleared with that method. That's fine if you have never set those differently to begin with, but it's still something to be aware of. 

Since I don't use that method, I'm not entirely sure how it deals with snapshots either. My fear of just removing the blocks would be unpredictable results when adding blocks back in.  Maybe that fear is unwarranted... but in the meantime I'll just overwrite patches with a clean template. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, codamedia said:

Since I don't use that method, I'm not entirely sure how it deals with snapshots either. ... 

Clearing any block in the preset would also remove it from all snapshots, along with any history of its relation to any snapshots. If you add the block back in you would be starting from the block's' default settings, including being unassigned to any snapshot.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

What's rude about that?  Reading the manual can be very helpful. In your case, you wouldn't have had to come here, ask the question, and wait for an answer. The answer was already at your fingertips. I fail to see how pointing that out is rude. What is rude, however, is suggesting that I have a personal problem.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• 1 year later...
On 3/24/2019 at 7:14 PM, codamedia said:

On 3/9/2019 at 12:31 PM, silverhead said:

What's rude about that?  Reading the manual can be very helpful. In your case, you wouldn't have had to come here, ask the question, and wait for an answer. The answer was already at your fingertips. I fail to see how pointing that out is rude. What is rude, however, is suggesting that I have a personal problem.

Yea this is absolutely rude to tell someone asking a valid question to go read the manual. 
Because you're assuming that's how everyone can learn things. 
But many many people have learning disabilities of different styles of learning (auditory, tactile, hands on, etc) 

Reading a manual is often one of a person's weakest learning Method. 

I personally have a high IQ but my attention span for reading a manual just isn't there anymore at my age. I ask friends, watch demos, research forums before going into a manual. 
Some people are manual readers some are not. 

I bring this up because this is a comment I see fairly often on forums from people that basically want to put other people down to lift themselves up.
This is a weak character trait often characteristic of the non-creative type, unemotional, or the old-fashioned conservative type

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

@belliot21

Is there a reason you included me in your quote? 

Is there a reason you re-opened a 1 year old zombie thread just to give someone sh#!? :) 

Seriously.... Silverhead kindly provided a solution, then gave a simple reminder that the manual holds that very answer. I'm not sure how that can be considered rude! 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 2/19/2019 at 2:45 PM, codamedia said:

Create a blank preset then copy it over top of anything you want to clear. 

I know that is not the answer you are looking for, but that's how I get it done :) 

I like this. Seems kinda obvious but I completely looked passed it. Haha! Honestly, I need to put a FX block on basically every preset I've been making lately so why not make a template and just write over the presets I want to access? Perfect fix!

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 2/20/2019 at 5:46 AM, silverhead said:

You can easily clear all blocks from a preset in one button push on the device. See knob4 after pressing the ACTION button. See Helix manual page 18 for certain limitations on what the Clear All Blocks does.

There is also a Clear All Blocks function in HX Edit. Select any block on the preset then use right-click or a keyboard shortcut. See HX Edit manual page 19.

Dude....I keep seeing your replies and youre...kinda rude. 

No need to tell someone they need to check the manual when they're here in a forum trying to consult with experts. 

3 hours ago, Rascricket said:

No need to tell someone they need to check the manual when they're here in a forum trying to consult with experts. 

I think there is a benefit in suggesting that people read the manuals when the question pertains to basic information that is contained in the manuals. Of course there is much more benefit in consulting with other users here about more detailed information not contained in the manuals, or about more complex product usage and configurations - information not contained in the manuals.

I know that people learn differently and Line 6 provides many video tutorials in addition to manuals. Those who don’t learn well via text should definitely take advantage of those videos.

But here’s the thing.... by asking questions here in this text-based forum a person has already accepted that they will need to read the answers in order to learn. So whose authorship and writing would be best to learn from? On the one hand you have the manuals, written by technical writing professionals in a clear and concise manner with information that is virtually guaranteed to be accurate. On the other hand you have a written response from a non-professional writer whose information may or may not be accurate or thorough and is almost certainly presented in a less clear and concise manner. That’s why I recommend the manual for basic information.I will continue to do so, though some consider it rude,  because I believe it’s the best way to learn for those who want to read.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

You can write a huge reply like you did trying to justify it, but the person was here asking people who know the answers....

Using a forum just like he should. I know I certainly wouldn't have appreciated your reply if I came here seeking help. The Facebook group is very friendly, so I was surprised to the reply here to someone asking how to delete presets that he should RTFM. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Rascricket said:

I was surprised to the reply here to someone asking how to delete presets that he should RTFM. 

If you go back and check what “silverhead” actually stated, which appeared in brackets as an after thought to actually supplying a solution.

(btw..... consulting the manuals is always good practice when wondering about something.)

That looks like perfectly valid advice to me - certainly not aggressive, rude, or RTFM, as you have suggested.

Frankly, I fail to comprehend why you have decided to take offence at a post from February 2019 and in your first two posts you have managed to contribute absolutely nothing but annoyance.

How to make friends and influence people?

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• 4 weeks later...

“60 pages for a pedal? Man, I hate reading manuals!” I know, right?! We’re not overly fond of writing them either, especially when so few people read them. What if we make a handful of super-short videos that get you up and running with HX Stomp™ in minutes, and you promise not to jump online and complain about having to read a lengthy manual for a pedal. Agreed?

literally first words in the manual lol. Great irony. Thank you for the good info silverhead!

5 hours ago, spindlebox said:

I am the OP, and I actually solved the problem by getting rid of the damned thing.  LOL.  Good luck with it.

And the world of Helix users are all better off for it.....  NOW THAT is what would be correctly identified as "rude". 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• 9 months later...

1)  Press View from "Number and Name".  Takes you to inserts line.  2) Press Action. 3) Press page right.  4) Press Clear All Blocks.  5)  Rename Preset to New Preset. 

Have a shot of tequila at every step.  

In HX Edit: 1) Rt Click on a New Preset 2) Copy  3) Paste over preset you want to remove.  4) Rename as "New Preset"

Finish bottle of Tequila.

• 9 months later...
On 2/20/2019 at 8:46 AM, silverhead said:

The fact that I have to spent lots of time on the web to find a way to delete a preset!?...after spending a LOT of time trying to find a delete function (or a way to delete) on both the HX stomp unit and HX Edit software....with negative results warranties returning this thing. Time should be spend making music not combining insurmountable color blocks and sliders on a screen, off course IMHO. I am sure FX edit-gurus will be delighted, but not a normal musician (pro or otherwise) The irony is, I was expecting to find at least already made presets for the songs (famous pink floyd songs) that I need effects for but there in almost nothing and the ones that are available are just terrible. The presets for bass that come with the unit are completely useless and exaggerated. Good luck pulling up any of these presets on a sound check at any venue. BTW there is no "clear All Blocks" option on the right click menu on HX Edit..the options are: "Copy, rename, import, export" I would have tried clear all blocks and saved time if I saw it!

• Like 1

On 2/1/2023 at 11:09 AM, AgostoMortal said:

... BTW there is no "clear All Blocks" option on the right click menu on HX Edit..the options are: "Copy, rename, import, export" I would have tried clear all blocks and saved time if I saw it!

Well, three years ago when I wrote that it was accurate…. 

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

The original poster wasn't asking about clearing blocks IN a preset. He was asking how to delete actual presets. He also said HE LOOKED IN THE MANUAL.

I came here looking for the same answer BECAUSE IT'S NOT IN THE MANUAL - something those saying "look in the manual" should know IF THEY'VE READ THE MANUAL.

So, let's start again - does anyone have a way to clear all the presets from, say, an HX STOMP. Or my HELIX RACK. I realize I can copy and paste "NEW PRESET" 127 times to do it but that seems just a tad cumbersome.

You know, these presets:

So, let's start again - does anyone have a way to clear all the presets from, say, an HX STOMP. Or my HELIX RACK. I realize I can copy and paste "NEW PRESET" 127 times to do it but that seems just a tad cumbersome.

OK, so by ‘clear a preset’ you mean ‘replace it with a preset named New Preset that has no blocks’. Is that right?

If so, the way to do that would be to export a Setlist containing only New Preset in all preset slots from the original factory presets/setlists. Then anytime you want to clear all presets you import that Setlist.

This can be done easily with any Helix that provides more than one Setlist in its factory settings. The HX FX however does not contain multiple Setlists. It provides a single setlist of 128 presets, and it contains factory presets. I don’t know if it contains any New Preset among them. In any case, to do what I described above you would need to first manually create the setlist containing only New Preset. You only need to create and export it once and then you can import it at any later time. 

On 1/25/2024 at 2:11 PM, silverhead said:

OK, so by ‘clear a preset’ you mean ‘replace it with a preset named New Preset that has no blocks’. Is that right?

If so, the way to do that would be to export a Setlist containing only New Preset in all preset slots from the original factory presets/setlists. Then anytime you want to clear all presets you import that Setlist.

This can be done easily with any Helix that provides more than one Setlist in its factory settings. The HX FX however does not contain multiple Setlists. It provides a single setlist of 128 presets, and it contains factory presets. I don’t know if it contains any New Preset among them. In any case, to do what I described above you would need to first manually create the setlist containing only New Preset. You only need to create and export it once and then you can import it at any later time. 

No. It means I'd like to DELETE a preset or multiple presets. Once deleted, it can be called nothing, or NEW PRESET or Jim. And as I said in my post, which apparently wasn't read, " I realize I can copy and paste "NEW PRESET" 127 times to do it but that seems just a tad cumbersome." To accomplish replacing all the factory presets and prior owner's presets with the word "EMPTY", I created a single EMPTY preset, copied it, and pasted it over factory presets 10 times. Then I grabbed those 10 and pasted it over the next 10 all at once. Then I grabbed those 20, and did the same. Until ALL 127 presets on the STOMP were EMPTY (or New Preset, or Jim). It took a bit of time, but IF there was a way to simply highlight a preset or group of as many as I like and hit DELETE, then this entire text chain with all the admonishing could have been avoided.

And I will add that I did it on an HX STOMP which has a single PRESET LIST. The same issue exists on my Helix Rack which has multiple PRESET LISTS. The point is that there SHOULD be a simple way to DELETE a preset rather than having to copy a different one and paste it over another.

On 1/25/2024 at 3:38 PM, uburoibob2 said:

No. It means I'd like to DELETE a preset or multiple presets. Once deleted, it can be called nothing, or NEW PRESET or Jim. And as I said in my post, which apparently wasn't read, " I realize I can copy and paste "NEW PRESET" 127 times to do it but that seems just a tad cumbersome."….

Yes I did read your post. Again, you can’t actually Delete a preset. You can overwrite/replace it with a modified preset named New Preset, EMPTY, or Jim. But you haven’t deleted it. It’s still there residing happily in the device’s allocated memory occupying the same space as the previous preset. A preset corresponds to a specific piece of allocated permanent storage/memory; you can’t rip it out.

On 1/25/2024 at 3:42 PM, uburoibob2 said:

And I will add that I did it on an HX STOMP which has a single PRESET LIST. The same issue exists on my Helix Rack which has multiple PRESET LISTS. The point is that there SHOULD be a simple way to DELETE a preset rather than having to copy a different one and paste it over another.

Yes, I agree there should be an easy way to replace one or more presets with an ‘empty’ preset. On Helix devices that contain multiple setlists, including your Helix Rack, I described a way to do it using a factory supplied USER setlist. On devices like the HX FX and your HX Stomp you need to take the cumbersome approach that you described. A better approach for a single preset is to use the Clear All Blocks option (available only on the device, not HX Edit) as described on pg. 16 of the manual. But still that only applies to a single preset; replacing them all is cumbersome.

You could make a feature suggestion for this improvement using Ideascale. It’s probably already there - just vote it up.

On 1/25/2024 at 3:42 PM, silverhead said:

A preset corresponds to a specific piece of allocated permanent storage/memory; you can’t rip it out.

Well, that covers just about everything in the digital world, doesn't it? I thought after 40 years, that would be a given.

I think when we are talking deleting something stored in memory, we aren't talking about removing part of a chip, but deleting its data content. Just like everything that happens on a computer when you hit the delete key. It doesn't do away with hardware - just the selected data...

Can we agree on that metaphor going forward?

On 1/25/2024 at 3:42 PM, silverhead said:

A better approach for a single preset is to use the Clear All Blocks option (available only on the device, not HX Edit) as described on pg. 16 of the manual. But still that only applies to a single preset; replacing them all is cumbersome.

And as someone recently pointed out, it clears the blocks, but not the settings for the INPUT and OUTPUT blocks - so you still don't end up with a virgin preset awaiting fresh blocks...

On 1/25/2024 at 4:01 PM, uburoibob2 said:

(available only on the device, not HX Edit)

And actually it IS available on HX Edit, where I just tested my last post before I posted... (you'll find it on page 32 of the HX Edit Owners manual)

But I think where this entire thread went south is when you confused what the original poster asked for (deleting PRESETS) with deleting blocks. There has always been a way to clear blocks both individually and all on both the unit and HX Edit. So, just to be clear (pardon the pun) we've established there are plenty of ways to delete blocks (or to be precise, the data associated with the block), but one can only overwrite a PRESET - no way to simply hit delete and have it create a brand new, ready to be filled, preset slot.

Screenshot 2024-01-25 at 4.03.40 PM.png

We agree - there should be an easier way to replace an existing set of  presets with ‘empty’ ones. But still, I maintain that we’re not deleting its data content - we’re replacing it with different content that occupies the exact same memory space.

Go forward with this if you wish. I’m out. I think this horse has been sufficiently beaten.

• Downvote 1

On 1/25/2024 at 4:06 PM, silverhead said:

But still, I maintain that we’re not deleting its data content - we’re replacing it with different content that occupies the exact same memory space.

Yes. Replacing it with nothing. Null content. But not deleting it, which is essentially replacing it with nothing. Just like the blocks. Got it.

And gotta love semantics and hubris…

On 1/25/2024 at 5:40 PM, MGW-Alberta said:

He's never going to see your comments.

He left here in a snooty huff two and a half years ago.

Just saying ...

Yeah, I know. I was looking for the answer myself, came across the misinformation and rudeness that caused him to go packing, and figured I'd at least try and set the record straight for anyone else who might be looking for the same answer and need the real info.