Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Preamp or Full Amp when connected to a PA Speaker

tRuE_pLaya

2 hours ago, Strat2Die4 said:

Another option could be to create the patch with full amp and then change the output mode in the global settings.

You are right, but so very wrong. 

You don't change the global settings after you create patches. You change the global settings first, today, and then never touch them again. Any global change will change the final result of every patch already made.

It would suck to spend time creating the perfect tones, and then making them sound like donkeydoo because you changed a global setting.

A lot of people don't realize this, but the preamp models also include cab and mic combinations unless you set that to NONE... they are just missing the POWER AMP section. 

I'm on a Helix these days, but most of my tones on the HD500 were setup with the PREAMP models along with the appropriate cab/mic combo's. I found them easier to tame through the system. It may have been a placebo effect, but I always found the full amps on the HD to lack low mids and punch on a stage. I don't experience that with the Helix... and I didn't experience that with the preamp models on the HD. 

YMMV.... that's just my experience. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pianoguyy said:

You don't change the global settings after you create patches. You change the global settings first, today, and then never touch them again. Any global change will change the final result of every patch already made.

It would suck to spend time creating the perfect tones, and then making them sound like donkeydoo because you changed a global setting.

Its just that I am used to changing the global setting based on whether I am using a combo or PA speakers, it is not ideal.

2 hours ago, hurghanico said:

powered PA speakers are totally different than power-amp/speakers made for electric guitar..

PA monitors should be theoretically not coloring/flat response

(if they aren't so, what they do to the final tone is nothing good in most cases)..

on the other hand real power-amp/speakers specifically made for electric guitar are not flat response at all and they do color very much the final tone usually in a nice way (actually they represent the bigger part of it), in this case using pre-amp only models with cab model disabled to fed them would be the advisable solution..

if you use the full amp models, the original power-amp/speakers specifically made for electric guitar are nicely modeled and already included in the models,

therefore in this case a flat response not further coloring system to make just loud those full amp models is all it is needed, like decent PA monitors or keyboard amps, and the POD output should be set to Studio/Direct..

obviously you can do any sort of experiments and mix and match things as you like and then use any of your best findings as long as you are happy with the results, but if what you want now is a good starting point based on consolidated successful common practice, follow the above advice

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

Thanks for your response.

The PA speaker I'm using is pretty flat. Do you recommend using a cab model or disable it?

25 minutes ago, tRuE_pLaya said:

Hi - Thanks for your response.

What global settings would you change?

Thanks!

I was talking about the output mode, I have attached the page from Line 6 manual.

If you have not read the tone guide from Meambobbo yet, I would strongly recommend reading it. http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/

Output mode.png

11 minutes ago, hurghanico said:

In your case I reccomend to use absolutely the cab models with the POD output mode set to Studio/DIrect.

As I said in my previous reply, I reccomend also to use the full amp models, at least for now,.. later if you want start making new experiments..

Also, and this is very important advice, with each amp model you want to use try all the 8 mics available, to find the one which sounds better with your equipment.

Finally, make judicious use of the drive setting, possibly compensating with the adjustment of the output volume level of the amp model, since many problems often encountered by users are caused by bad regulations of those parameters in particular

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

Great advice. Thank you for all your help!!