Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Sending Live DAW Tracks to separate speakers

misla1

Hey There,

I am using Ableton tracks from my MacBook feeding via USB into my Helix as an audio interface and pushing to my HeadRush FRFR and playing live guitar using my Helix patches.  It sounds great but I would like to send the tracks to separate speakers and only have my Helix sound out of HeadRush or any other speaker I use for live performance.  Is this possible? I’ve tried but I keep getting a combination of both tracks and my patches.

it makes it difficult to adjust levels.  

Or is my best bet to get a separate audio interface? I know you can just plug the headphone jacks into the board but I don’t want the exposer of the jack getting ripped out and knocking my computer to the floor. I thought the Helix interface would protect my computer since I could use XLR or line outs.

You should be able to do this with the helix, with caveats. 

If you set the output of the ableton track to be something like helix USB 3/4, then you can route that input to a different output than your guitar. How to route tracks to different hardware outputs is different in every daw - I'm not familiar with how to do it in Ableton. The caveat is that I believe you would need to dedicate one of the helix paths to the ableton track in order to route it to a different output. 

For example, path 1 would have a guitar input and your amps and effects and stuff and output to the 1/4 inch outputs and path 2 would have USB 3/4 as the input and XLR as the output

• Like 1

Yep, so far I can't figure out how to route a USB output anywhere without making it an Input, which IMO is kinda dumb considering its 8x8 USB interface. I would love do this with mine since I don't use any of the loops. Just route the audio from my laptop to FX 1/2 and 3/4 and have stereo backtracks and sub drops on their own channels, but Noooooo, lo.

Take the Helix 1/4" output direct to your FRFR (don't monitor Helix through Ableton while recording).

Connect the XLR Outs to your speakers (Or vice versa if your speakers aren't XLR).

Ableton's Master Out should be USB 1/2 by default. In Helix Globals-Ins/Outs, set USB IN 1/2 Destination to XLR.

I've been banging my head against the wall with these kind of scenarios for 3 years now!

What we need is the ability to route SEND / RETURN blocks to the USB sockets (and also XLR and 1/4in) - and Path outputs need more control as well - eg. sometimes we might need USB3/4 and XLR, or XLR and USB 1/2 but not 1/4in.

I have a 3 year old idea scale for this - that DI himself upvoted!

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/SEND-Block-to-more-places-e-g-1-4in-for-easy-IR-bypass/818624-23508#idea-tab-details

Also another useful addition that might help you out in an easy way would be a new Global setting to route USB channels directly to any output - kind of like we can currently with the USB 1/2 Destination.

Eg  USB 3/4, 5/6, 7/8 Destinations - choose from XLR, 1/4in, Digital, Send 1/2, Send 3/4 (it would be perfect if you could choose more than one from the list to make your own user Multi)

3 hours ago, rd2rk said:

Take the Helix 1/4" output direct to your FRFR (don't monitor Helix through Ableton while recording).

Connect the XLR Outs to your speakers (Or vice versa if your speakers aren't XLR).

Ableton's Master Out should be USB 1/2 by default. In Helix Globals-Ins/Outs, set USB IN 1/2 Destination to XLR.

This should work!

As long as-you aren't wanting to record your guitar into Ableton for looping purposes.  

Otherwise you would need to set your guitar path output to 1/4in and USB.    There is no option to do this - so you either have to:

a) use a Multi path output which would also send your guitar to the XLRs / separate speakers  - this is not what you want

b) split the guitar signal and use two path outputs, one to 1/4in and one to USB.

You'd then have the problem of routing the looped guitar from Ableton back to the 1/4in outputs to your stage speaker.  Which would take another path.

Basically you have just one path left to put your guitar effects on!

We need better routing options - like enhanced Send / Return, Paths and Global routing destinations etc.