Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How to use 4CM with Helix + an external Noise Suppressor Pedal

danteusa7

I have an HX Effects and I also want to use my Boss Noise Suppressor 2 pedal in conjunction with it.  I'm currently configured in the 4 cable method.  I've thoroughly confused myself trying to figure out where and how I should chain my Boss NS-2 pedal in conjunction with my HX Effects and my amp.  Any suggestions?

To me the best approach is to insert it at different points in the chain to figure out where it has the best impact. Before the HX Effects came along where did you usually put it?

The HX Effects has its own noise gate (which I assume you've already tried) and in my opinion it generally doesn't make sense to put it at the start of your chain because then you might as well use the inbuilt one. Because you run the risk of a noise gate clamping down on your reverb and delay tails the first place I'd try to put it is just after the FX send of your amp but before the FX return on your HX Effects.  If that didn't work for you then I'd try placing it after the main output of the HX Effects and just before the FX return of your amp. 

A strength of the Boss NS-2 is that it has TWO inputs and outputs so you can actually double it up if you need to.  

3 hours ago, Kilrahi said:

To me the best approach is to insert it at different points in the chain to figure out where it has the best impact. Before the HX Effects came along where did you usually put it?

The HX Effects has its own noise gate (which I assume you've already tried) and in my opinion it generally doesn't make sense to put it at the start of your chain because then you might as well use the inbuilt one. Because you run the risk of a noise gate clamping down on your reverb and delay tails the first place I'd try to put it is just after the FX send of your amp but before the FX return on your HX Effects.  If that didn't work for you then I'd try placing it after the main output of the HX Effects and just before the FX return of your amp. 

A strength of the Boss NS-2 is that it has TWO inputs and outputs so you can actually double it up if you need to.  

How I had it setup before wasn't the 4CM so I don't think how it was configured previously will be relevant with my new 4CM setup with the HX Effects.

The built in noise gate is just okay.  It's not great which is why I'd really like to figure out how to use the Boss NS-2 with my HX effects with the 4CM.

6 minutes ago, danteusa7 said:

How I had it setup before wasn't the 4CM so I don't think how it was configured previously will be relevant with my new 4CM setup with the HX Effects.

The built in noise gate is just okay.  It's not great which is why I'd really like to figure out how to use the Boss NS-2 with my HX effects with the 4CM.

Weird. I thought the thing was amazing.  To each his own though.

At any rate, my advice would be to try it in those two places first. Good luck.