Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Windows 10 Driver Issue?

gunpointmetal

So, I went to work on learning some music last night with the Firehawk connected to my laptop like I've done a few times a week since I got it well over a year ago, guitar pro was coming out of the headphones just fine, connected to the app no problem. Then I wanted to work on some original stuff in Reaper, again like I've done so many times since I got the Firehawk, and when I went in to Reaper's settings menu and selected the Firehawk driver I got a BSOD and a restart. Tried multiple times, same thing. Tried to open L6 Updater to see if I missed something, and got a BSOD again. Unplugged the Firehawk USB, opened L6 Updater, plugged in the Firehawk...and BSOD. My Helix worked just fine, my Behringer X-Air loaded up just fine, and Firehawk is functional as the Windows soundcard for other programs when its connected, but the Updater and Reaper (and Audacity, figured I'd try everything) would crash if I tried to access the Firehawk. I could access my Helix connected to another port with the Firehawk connected, tried mutiple USB cables, both ports on the laptop, power cycling, etc. I have a support ticket in, just curious if anyone else has seen this or fixed it?

I hope someone else might be able to chime in....

I ran a support ticket, its out of warranty, minimum $90-$100 just to get it looked at, which seems insane since I'm 99% sure its a software problem. But I've uninstalled and reinstalled all drivers, Line 6 Updater multiple times and there's still no change in function. It works just fine as a plug-and-play soundcard for Windows, but trying to use the ASIO driver in Reaper or opening Line 6 updater with the device plugged in causes a blue-screen crash. Support staff suggests I need to do a complete system reinstall, but I have way to much other (professional grade) hardware that is working that I need to use on a regular basis with my computers to spend a whole day refreshing a Windows installation. Anyone have any OTHER ideas? Basically if I have to reinstall everything on my computer to get this thing to work the way its supposed to, I'm just gonna sell it, because my time is not worth it for a POD X3 Live with bluetooth.

The only thing I can imagine (other than a hardware fault with the Firehawk) is a driver conflict between the Firehawk and some other usb device connected to your computer. I am not familiar enough with this sort of debugging to suggest how you might easily track that down. Left to my own methods I would start by disconnecting all USB devices and uninstalling their drivers. If the Firehawk connects successfully when it is the only usb device your computer knows about then you can start reintroducing the others until you find the culprit. If the Firehawk still doesn't connect properly then you may have a hardware fault with it.

33 minutes ago, silverhead said:

The only thing I can imagine (other than a hardware fault with the Firehawk) is a driver conflict between the Firehawk and some other usb device connected to your computer. I am not familiar enough with this sort of debugging to suggest how you might easily track that down. Left to my own methods I would start by disconnecting all USB devices and uninstalling their drivers. If the Firehawk connects successfully when it is the only usb device your computer knows about then you can start reintroducing the others until you find the culprit. If the Firehawk still doesn't connect properly then you may have a hardware fault with it.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled all my drivers for Helix, XR18, my mouse. Nothing else has ever been connected via USB besides external drives. I'm having hard time accepting a hardware fault since it still is fully-functional as a plug-and-play device for every other Windows program. Itunes plays audio out of it, browser, WMP, Guitar Pro...Why would the hardware work that way, but then complete crash the PC when ASIO is accessed?

34 minutes ago, Kilrahi said:

Do you have the ability to test it on a second PC?

Two other PCs, actually. My second one that's basically a clone of the first one as far as audio set-up goes, and a third one that's my GF's that doesn't have ANY external audio hardware drivers installed. Same thing across the board; works for regular computer audio, ASIO driver crashes the computer. All the PCs are Windows 10. I was literally using it for recording demos like 20 hours before it crashed. Never left the floor under my desk. A hardware fault doesn't make sense for the way it DOES work, though.