Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax pickup swap

malmsteenino

2 minutes ago, firehawkkwah said:

I went with the black pickup, but wish I had chosen white!

Which tuners did you use? Drop right in or any drilling? I'm thinking of doing the same.

Hi, Hipshot Open GripLock Upgrade Kit - non staggered version. No drilling, just drop it and rock! : )

• 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

" ... you have to swap it around for the middle pickup? "  ---  No. Follow the wiring diagrams in the earlier posts for the particular Variax you have.

Don't try to over think it. Follow the diagram.

Use "passive" pick-ups (NO active battery power pick-ups) with a DC resistance (DCR) of between 6k-Ohms and 8k-Ohms.

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

I am also swapping all 3 pu's on my standard Variax. I will be using Pro track in the bridge, Cruiser in the middle and satch track in the neck. Dimarzio pictures the Pro track with a 500k Volume pot, The other 2 are 250K. Will there be a problem with using the 250K pots with all three? Also, I have read through this forum topic and still I do not see anything about Reversing the middle pu wireing? Please help! Thanks!

I am still trying to figure out if I need to reverse wire the middle pickup..for the following Dimarzio install...Bridge-Protrack Middle-Cruiser Neck-Satch Track. Do I need to reverse wire the Cruiser??  I know they are 4 cable, but that is easy to resolve. 

On 4/7/2022 at 3:52 PM, psarkissian said:

Still need an answer to my dilemma...but ,yes I understand the warranty issue...no need, because it is out of warranty! Please help with my question on reverse wiring..Thanks!

I believe I have found the Pickups that I will install on my Variax standard(ebony)....Please let me know If I need to reverse wiring the middle pickup.  BRIDGE: Dimarzio Pro Track  MIDDLE: Seymour Duncan Classic Stack Plus strat  NECK: Dimarzio Satch Track..   These pickups pretty much fall within 6-8k ohms suggested.  Can I get some comments as to what you think of this swap!  Tone wise it should be quite good. At the 4 position it will should sound very Straty, while the 2 position more Bluesy.   Thanks for you input!!!!

So, I don't hear anyone here really raving about the results of a pickup swap. Is it really worth the time and expense? I can find no before/after comparisons. Why would I want to do a swap if I'm happy with the stock pickups?

On 4/16/2022 at 12:27 PM, soundog said:

So, I don't hear anyone here really raving about the results of a pickup swap. Is it really worth the time and expense? I can find no before/after comparisons. Why would I want to do a swap if I'm happy with the stock pickups?

No reason if you're happy with what you've got. I'm happy with my stock JTV-59 pickups and haven't swapped them.