Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Native Pro Tools HD12 only dry signal

emanuele666

Good morning to the whole community. I am a happy owner of HX Stomp that I use with satisfaction as a pedal unit. Recently I entered the world of digital recording with Pro Tools HD 12 to self-produce (or at least, to try) some of my songs. Last night I tried to download the demo version of Helix Native to test it on my DAW and decide whether to buy it or not. The program recognizes it, I can load a stereo audio track and open Helix Native but what I hear is just a dry signal with no effect :( I state that I'm pretty ignorant of the audio recording so I'm probably doing something wrong.
My hardware / software:
- Pro Tools HD 12 64bit;
- Windows 10 64 bit;
- Helix Native Trial;
- Focusrite 2i2 2nd;

What I do is just connect my guitar to the first input of the sound card (INST) and play.

Do you have any advice? What am I doing wrong? Is there any particular setting?

Thank you!

P.S: HX Stomp works perfectly (also as an audio interface) but Helix Native would be easier.

P.P.S: sorry for my english :)

It seems that you have successfully recorded the dry guitar track, which is the first step. Make sure that you assign the Helix Native plug-in to the track when you play it back in Pro Tools. Are you doing that? Are you presented with the Helix Native edit window so that you can create a non-empty preset? Using an empty New Preset will also sound like just the dry signal. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the reply! I created a "stereo instrument" track, loaded the plugin and the daw opens HN correctly. I selected a random preset (not new) but the sound that came out was without effects. Anyway, someone suggested me to activate the "input monitor" button in Pro Tools. Tonight I will try. 

Ok, I solved, I do not know how I did it but now it works. But I decided to return the scarlett 2i2 because I have problems of clipping with the dry signal with any gain level (I have DI Marzio X2N pickups). For now I'm using my HX Stomp with USB input 5-6, it works but I can not adjust the input level, therefore I also have clipping with this unit! According to you with a different audio interface like the Scarlett 2i4, with the "pad" buttons I could solve? Is there a way to adjust the input level for the dry signal on the HX Stomp?

P.S: I opened two different topics, sorry, we can use this :)

Thanks for the reply! Tonight I'll try :) A question, which audio interface do you recommend in place of the Scarlett 2i2? I was thinking of a 2i4 (always Focusrite, or better 6i6?) Or a Steinberg UR242EU, both for the "pad" options. Also important headphones output (I have AKG K240 55ohm) that must have good output level and obviously the audio card must have zero latency and no clipping problem :)

Please read this related thread:

Also, a lot depends on if you will also be recording vocals, in which case you need to also shop for quality mic preamps. As far as guitar goes, make sure the interface is designed to take "hot" guitar inputs. An included pad is recommended in that case. Both the Steinberg and Focusrite you mention have a pad on the hi-z input(s).

Read the specs. Read reviews! And if possible buy with a 30-day money-back guarantee in case you have issues.

• Thanks 1

Good Morning and thanks for the reply again :) I tried to choose "line" as input on my HX Stomp. It works but the sound is faded so this isn't the solution. I also tried  to switch into single coil on my split pickups and the output level is right so i think it is a problem with my bridge's humbucker. I attach a little audio track of the dry signal. I notice that i listen this distorted and dirty sound also when i choose a "new preset" in hx stomp (without effects, cabs and amp). Maybe it is normal for my hot pickup? Anyway, an Audient iD14 will be a good solution for Helix Native? The world of sound cards is really vast! I don't undestand if it has pad option or not

prova dry.wav

After a long meditation I ordered a Zoom UAC-2 (it will arrive today). I hope it's what I'm looking for, however I have money-back guarantee if I were not satisfied :) I have read several positive reviews on this interface, of course I have also read negative reviews (but this for any sound card currently on the market).

Just to say that I have already returned Zoom UAC-2. The sound is not good, it's dark and muffled (also in hi-z) and completely different from HX Stomp. It also clipping easily. Even the headphone output is not the best :( I was thinking of buying an Audient sound card but I think everything in this price range will be very similar, so the solution for now is to save money and use my HX Stomp as an audio interface.