Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Using POD as FX-pedal in front of amp

miijk

Recently bought a VOX AC15C1 since I wanted to finally get into the world of real tube amps(and because the other guitarist in my band lured me in like a siren, haha).

With that said, I really would like to still use my POD for FXs exclusivly and use my external OD-pedal for distortion. I have to go infront of the amp since it doesn't have an FX-loop. In what order in the chain should I put the POD in this case?

I know this question might be very basic but I'm new at using real amps! All help is useful, thank you all! :D

Realize that reverb and delays in front of an amp don't usually sound good.  Everything else should be fine.  You may find the OD in the PODHD is just as good as your pedal, if not better.  The less stuff you have to hook up = less stuff that fails.

It sounds great as a pedal board in front of an amp just stay away from any AMP/CAB models in the POD. "Amp in the box" pedals are fairly popular these days... and you can experiment with the PRE-AMP models from that POD to achieve those, but you still need to make sure the cab/mic modeling is turned off. 

IMO, I would place the overdrive pedal in the effects loop of the HD... leave it on all the time and control it's on/off status in the chain by turning the FX Loop on/off. That way it can be programmed into patches as you want it. 

On 2/23/2019 at 4:33 PM, joel_brown said:

Realize that reverb and delays in front of an amp don't usually sound good. 

This always seems to become the way of thinking once we move to modeling... but very few gave it any thought prior. 

The vast majority of guitar players still plug a pedal board into the front end of an amp, and I'd say the majority of those boards have delays while a lower percentage will also have reverbs on them. Not many players with pedal boards take the time to setup a 4 cable method to make sure their delays and reverbs go in the loops yet with modelers 4 cable method is a hot topic. 

In a look back through history most of our guitar hero's used to run an echo plex, space echo, memory man, etc... into the front end of their amps. Even those old classic Fender Reverb Units (stand alone) used to get plugged into the front end of amps.

The biggest impact on delays and reverbs is whether it is pre/post overdrive. If the amp is used as a clean platform it won't have a big impact providing those effects are after the overdrives on the board. If you run overdrive on the amps then the delays and reverbs take on a very different flavor and will need to be adjusted accordingly... like they had to in the good old days :) 

11 hours ago, joel_brown said:

I played guitar into an amp way before modeling was around.  Even then, you plugged the reverb and delay into the FX loop because it sounded better.  But do whatever you want.  I'm just trying to let you know what works better.

Did you take my post out of context? Better is subjective, and I have never said something is better. I wasn't trying to disagree with you, I was just trying to expand on that topic. 

The OP has a great amp, but like many great amps it doesn't have an effects loop... so I am lending support that it will still work fine.