Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Possible new FRFR solution for guitar/bass???

zivdud

What do you guys and gals think about this unit for doing bass and guitar? I don’t have any experience with any of thier other products but I often hear good things. I have been wanting a powered cab solution for running both; so, this seems like a winner. 

http://www.tech21nyc.com/products/powerengine/deucedeluxe.html

• Like 1

I always like the look of these guitar-cab-shaped FRFR solutions, but so far none of them have been quite what I need. Most of the time they just don't have the oomph I need for the music I play. The rear-porting on this one seems like an odd choice for a stage amp, too.

14 hours ago, tjbassoon said:

Aside from actually looking like an amp, I can't see it being particularly more special than any other 12" PA solution. I'm happy with my pair of these: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Thump12A--mackie-thump12a-1300w-12-inch-powered-speaker

I rocked a pair of the older Thump 12s for about 6 years and recently snagged a pair of EV ZLX12P speakers for a second band. Boy what a difference. Those Mackies are solid speakers for sure, though.

23 minutes ago, tjbassoon said:

What do you find is the difference? Is the Mackie a little "muddy" compared? I sometimes have that concern about them.

So the Mackies (keep in mind I'm using the first or second gen Thumps, so they might not be 1:1 comparable to the new ones) and a lot of "budget" FRFR speakers have boosted lows and there seems to be a wider or different frequency crossover point between the woofer and the tweeter that made the highs sound almost separate from the rest of the guitar sound. This effect is much smoother to my ear with the EV ZLX or the QSC K series.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, DunedinDragon said:

I'll never understand why someone will spend top dollar on their guitars, top dollar on a premium modeler, and attach it all to a bargain basement output device....

So I should stop putting those space-saver spare tires I got at Walmart on my Ferrari, then? I couldn't figure out why they keep melting...;)

4 hours ago, DunedinDragon said:

I'll never understand why someone will spend top dollar on their guitars, top dollar on a premium modeler, and attach it all to a bargain basement output device....

Depending on what you get the differences between a $1000 speaker and a $300 speaker don’t really sound or feel like a $700 value. Kind of like how Fractal has slightly better sounding modeling, but definitely not $1000 better. I’m still hoping L6 comes to their senses on a PowerCab for people who need actual stage volume.

5 hours ago, DunedinDragon said:

My bass was only $400. I have $700 worth of speakers and the Helix.... Of course, when I play my bassoon through this stuff the balance tips considerably into the direction of the instrument itself (almost 20x the cost of the Helix)