Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix VS Helix LT

Oggyswain

Hi,

I haven't owned a Line 6 Product for a long time, It was a Guitar pod. I currently own a Boss GT100 Multi Effects board. I'm not too happy with it it's very muddy.

I have heard great things about the Helix but the price, Yikes!

So what are the major difference between the Helix and Helix LT?

Are there ever any sales on these items.

Thanks in advance.

The amount of inputs and outputs. Helix has more than LT. Scribble strips, Helix has them,  LT does not. Helix is a heftier build than the LT. The guts are essentially the same. If you concern is can each do the same thing modelling wise, the answer is yes. They both sound exactly the same, have the same amount of memory (s far as I know). Actually, go here.

https://blog.andertons.co.uk/labs/line-6-helix-vs-helix-lt-vs-hx

I'm don't remember seeing any of the Helix units on sale specifically, but I do know that you can sometimes get pretty decent discounts on B-stock units from Sweetwater for example.  The B-stock units are simply units people bought and returned within the authorized return period for full credit.  They have a normal, full warranty and are only sold at a discount because they've been opened (similar to floor stock at a retail outlet).  I've personally bought two Helix units this way and have been quite happy with them.

I wouldn't be too alarmed at the price because you're dealing with a completely new generation of modelers in these units.  In comparison to their direct competition as far as quality/price they're actually quite reasonable.  Especially compared to the Boss GT100 which is really more at the product level of the Pod HD500X and not the Helix.

The decision factors, in my opinion, between the Helix LT and the full Helix Floor come down to how you intend to use it.  For example if you play out quite a bit and expect to put a lot of performance hours on the unit, the more rugged build of the Helix Floor will likely be worth it to you.  Also, if you intend to do a lot of recording work the additional inputs, outputs and controls such as the headphone volume control and the Aux input are invaluable time savers when it comes to having an easy and straightforward way of working directly with a DAW.

As a LT owner I have to say I'm more than happy with the build quality.  Can't say that the scribble strips make much of a difference to me either - the snapshot display is fine and I do most of my editing from my Mac so being able to see preset names =and= signal path is not an issue.

The extra audio/control inputs and outputs feel like the real difference to me - and thus how it integrates with the rest of your gear.  If you're doing four cable that's half of the send/returns gone already on the LT; the digital in can be pretty useful too, a fair few people on VGuitarForum use it as the input from their VG99, I have to use my returns.  Occasionally I've felt like I could have done with the extra controller input for my VG or for the soft synths in MainStage. 

• Like 1

I don't see the Helix on sale here in Canada, but sometimes Long and McQuade runs specials with value adds. When I got my LT I got the Helix Gig Bag for free, a $50 L&M gift card and the financing was interest free. 

There is often a lot of talk about the full Helix having the scribble strips and the LT doesn't. That makes some people think with an LT they have to rely on their memory and colored switches to remember what effects or snapshots they put where.  NOT TRUE! 

The LT has something the full version doesn't... it's called Performance View. The entire screen takes on the duties of the scribble strips and it is very nice! Some prefer the scribble strips, but I also know people that prefer Performance View (including moi) so it does come down to preference in that regard. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oggyswain said:

I think I'll go for the Helix Big Boy Model. I'm in Canada and the price here is about $2100 without taxes. It's going to hurt.

I don't catch everything in your explanations and how you arrived at this conclusion  :)

I have got a LT too and I've got really no regret, i miss nothing....

I can understand that when L6 launched the first HX you had no other choice but nowdays, really look in detail if you need the plus brought by the Hx floor....

Following your needs you could have to buy it but i have a doubt...

Is that : i pay more, i have the best thing..... ; Of course, yes, but i really think the extra money is not justified....(exept for some rare cases).

IMHO, you could eventually add a FRFR speaker for the price if you don't have one....

13 hours ago, codamedia said:

The LT has something the full version doesn't... it's called Performance View. The entire screen takes on the duties of the scribble strips and it is very nice!

It would be perfect if it were colour coded to go with your footswitch assignments.  One day, I suppose ... 

IMG_2145.JPG

4 hours ago, arkieboy said:

It would be perfect if it were colour coded to go with your footswitch assignments.  One day, I suppose ... 

It's half way there....

In Performance View > Stomp Mode (or any mode that contains stomps) it is in color... it is tied to the footswitch assignment. FWIW... Scribble strips on the Helix Floor are not color... not even with stomp mode. 

LT Performance View in Stomp Mode 

helix-lt-bg-image.jpg

17 minutes ago, brue58ski said:

I know in the big Helix you can change the color of the switches in snapshots. Don't know about the LT.

I stand corrected about the snapshots, yes - I believe it works with the LT as well.

I've edited my post above to avoid confusion... 

Thanks, I thought the in and outputs would be a problem but I think there are plenty on the Helix LT and the Performance view solve a problem as well.

Think I'll go that route. 

Question for Codemania

"I don't see the Helix on sale here in Canada, but sometimes Long and McQuade runs specials with value adds. When I got my LT I got the Helix Gig Bag for free, a $50 L&M gift card and the financing was interest free."

Roughly which part of the year was that special? Want to know how long I have to wait. 

Thanks again for all your help!

1 hour ago, Oggyswain said:

Roughly which part of the year was that special? Want to know how long I have to wait. 

I regret to inform you, that particular deal was last October. I got really lucky with that one. 

They usually have some interesting deals each season... You may want to wait and see what they offer this spring which is just a couple weeks around the corner. 

• Like 1