Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Full Helix - Balance/Expression pedal issue

themetallikid

All you smart/creative people may be able to help.  My buddy had a solution, but I'd prefer to not go that route as it wont work with the Helix backpack I'm afraid.

So I've noticed that while I sing and play at the same time, I position my Helix not directly in front of me but more to the side/front.  Think of a clock, my mic stand comes from the left side about 10-11:00 and my helix is on the right about 1-2:00, but rotated so there is sort of a semi-circle around my feet.

it makes it much easier to sing, and see the buttons for switching if I'm not trying to look around a mic or under my guitar essentially.

HOWEVER...I've noticed a few times when I try to use the wah and I'm laying a good solo down, sometimes I'll put a bit too much weight to the outside of my foot and will actually 'roll' the helix a bit to the right, lifting the left edge off the ground for a split second.  This was a concern when I saw that the bottom plate of the Full helix was different than the LT's more square shape. 

My buddy suggested just mounting a plate to the bottom, but I'm afraid that would tear the Helix pack or not make it fit right...

Any creative ideas how to solve that from happening? 

10 minutes ago, themetallikid said:

All you smart/creative people may be able to help.  My buddy had a solution, but I'd prefer to not go that route as it wont work with the Helix backpack I'm afraid.

So I've noticed that while I sing and play at the same time, I position my Helix not directly in front of me but more to the side/front.  Think of a clock, my mic stand comes from the left side about 10-11:00 and my helix is on the right about 1-2:00, but rotated so there is sort of a semi-circle around my feet.

it makes it much easier to sing, and see the buttons for switching if I'm not trying to look around a mic or under my guitar essentially.

HOWEVER...I've noticed a few times when I try to use the wah and I'm laying a good solo down, sometimes I'll put a bit too much weight to the outside of my foot and will actually 'roll' the helix a bit to the right, lifting the left edge off the ground for a split second.  This was a concern when I saw that the bottom plate of the Full helix was different than the LT's more square shape. 

My buddy suggested just mounting a plate to the bottom, but I'm afraid that would tear the Helix pack or not make it fit right...

Any creative ideas how to solve that from happening? 

Short of bolting it to the floor, I don't think you're gonna find much in the way of solutions... if your foot isn't coming down squarely on the expression pedal, and the unit itself is angled away from you, seems to me that the difficulty you're describing is inevitable. You can battle physics all you want... but you won't win.  ;)

• Like 1

This has to do with the positioning of the rubber feet on the bottom of the helix.  The end caps make it so that they didn’t put feet on the very ends of the unit.  

You can can remedy this with some 3M dual lock and a small block of wood.   Cut a block of wood to form to the helix end cap, and use the 3M lock to attach it to the end cap. It doesn’t have to hold the weight of the helix, rather just keep it from lifting.   It’s kind of like a sideways wheelie-bar. :)

I see what your saying JWS....basically what my guitar player was suggesting, but using the 3m hooks is a less permanent solution and removable to still use the Helix pack....

I'll have to look into that. 

Cruisin....yes I agree, physics will never lose a battle... and I'm not coming down too much off center to the pedal, but the way my leg is angled out, when I put any weight on it, it it is  pushing towards the arc'd side of the helix not on the rubber feet underneath. 

Seems like you may have more luck using an external expression pedal to the left of the Helix for you wah solos... I'm able to fit two of the Mission Engineering EP1-L6 pedals in the front pocket of the Helix backpack along with cables and other stuff pretty easily.