Jump to content
jamshaman

HX Stomp wet/dry setup with 100% wet effects, need more paths?

Recommended Posts

Hi folks, I'm trying to get my 2 amp wet/dry rig up and running. Am new to the Stomp, only had it about a week so far. 

Currently I have delay and reverb on one path and send it out mono out of the stomp. I go guitar straight in to another amp for my dry signal which then has a direct out going in to the input of the stomp. So I want 100% wet through the wet amp which means I'm setting the delay and reverb mixes to 100%. The problem then is that the reverb which is last, only get's the 100% wet signal from the delay, which means it's only adding reverb to the delays and no reverb to the dry signal. 

Because the Stomp only has 1 parallel path available, the only workaround I see to this would be to have the delay on path A and reverb on path B. Path A would be the main output of the Stomp and would go to the input of the amp, and path B would go in to the effects return of the amp. That way both the delay and reverb will be effecting the dry signal.

Is this correct or is there a better way to do this? 
Thank you in advance!

 

EDIT: the above is incorrect, the path in question is actually this: 
Guitar in to stomp - Path A: dynamics, overdrive, etc. to front of dry amp via Stomp Main Left Mono Out

                                   Path B: wet effects (delay, reverb etc.) 100% mix out via Stomp Effects Send Left Mono in to either front of wet amp or effects return of wet amp

Edited by jamshaman
fixed error

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, jamshaman said:

Hi folks, I'm trying to get my 2 amp wet/dry rig up and running. Am new to the Stomp, only had it about a week so far. 

Currently I have delay and reverb on one path and send it out mono out of the stomp. I go guitar straight in to another amp for my dry signal which then has a direct out going in to the input of the stomp. So I want 100% wet through the wet amp which means I'm setting the delay and reverb mixes to 100%. The problem then is that the reverb which is last, only get's the 100% wet signal from the delay, which means it's only adding reverb to the delays and no reverb to the dry signal. 

Because the Stomp only has 1 parallel path available, the only workaround I see to this would be to have the delay on path A and reverb on path B. Path A would be the main output of the Stomp and would go to the input of the amp, and path B would go in to the effects return of the amp. That way both the delay and reverb will be effecting the dry signal.

Is this correct or is there a better way to do this? 
Thank you in advance!m

 

Visualizing all this stuff is always the tricky part for me. For example your second paragraph - the way I read that you're saying you send your delay through to your wet amp at 100% but the problem is you want your reverb to also impact your dry signal . . . but if you do it the way I think you're saying it's still only impacting your wet signal (since the delay block is shifted over to 100% whatever filters through the wet amp and out the effects loop to the reverb is still just your wet signal). 

 

What else are you using in the Stomp?  Could you describe all the blocks you're using?  It's easier to give feedback if I know what else you're trying to accomplish. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only using the Stomp for delay and reverb with the reverb last, both 100% mix so that there is no dry signal in that path going to the wet only amp. So just those 2 blocks. 

My friend has a Helix and get's around this problem by using multiple parallel paths, but the Stomp only has 1 parallel path available...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess I'm confused. If the stomp isn't in your chain until AFTER your dry amp, couldn't you split the two FX into separate paths and set the Wet/Dry ration individually then mix them back together before the output or send either to another amp?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ultimately it comes down to which approach gives you the sound you want.

 

However, your setup seems simple enough that there ought to be a few ways to do a version of it. If you like the method you first shared, do it.

 

With that said, with so many blocks to share you could go:

 

1. Guitar in to dry amp.

2. Dry signal from amp to Stomp main in.

3. Split paths.

4. Path A delay + reverb both set to 100%.

5. Path B has the exact same reverb of path A, but not set to 100% so this includes dry.

6. Path A and B recombines and goes out main to wet amp.

 

Note: if you prefer the sound of the reverb in the FX loop of your wet amp then add an FX send/return on path A and have the paths combine after that block and go out main output into effects return of wet amp.

 

Alternatives:

 

1. You could use a 4 cable setup with your wet amp and implement use of an FX loop block allowing you to blend wet/dry to your preference with that block.

 

2. You could also start with  the Stomp instead of the dry amp, and by utilizing two fx loop blocks and a split TRS to two TS cable using two mono returns create a single chain something like:

 

1. Dry signal - FX loop send to dry amp and back to Stomp.

2. Split path.

3. Delay block set to 100% on path A.

4. FX send/return on path A from Stomp to wet amp and back from wet amp effects send.

5. Reverb block at 100% on path A.

6. Reverb block on path B at 50%.

7. Recombine paths.

8. Out main out to effects return on wet amp.

 

I prefer keeping my headquarters with the Stomp, but the correct way it's whatever sounds best to you and is easiest to use.

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the replies guys, I'm sorry, I made a mistake. The setup in question is the following:

Guitar in to stomp - Path A: dynamics, overdrive, etc. to front of dry amp via Stomp Main Left Mono Out

                                   Path B: wet effects (delay, reverb etc.) 100% mix out via Stomp Effects Send Left Mono in to either front of wet amp or effects return of wet amp

So in path B, the reverb will only get the wet signal of the delay. I guess I could just put the delay mix to 50% or something, and then some dry signal will be going through the wet amp, unless there's a better way... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jamshaman said:

Thanks for the replies guys, I'm sorry, I made a mistake. The setup in question is the following:

Guitar in to stomp - Path A: dynamics, overdrive, etc. to front of dry amp via Stomp Main Left Mono Out

                                   Path B: wet effects (delay, reverb etc.) 100% mix out via Stomp Effects Send Left Mono in to either front of wet amp or effects return of wet amp

So in path B, the reverb will only get the wet signal of the delay. I guess I could just put the delay mix to 50% or something, and then some dry signal will be going through the wet amp, unless there's a better way... 

 

Ah . . . you know, I try never to judge because people have done crazy things which resulted in really good sounds, but I have to admit the way I thought you were describing your setup sounded really off the wall to me.

 

Unfortunately I think if you want that degree of separation you're bumping up against the limitations of the Stomp. You're closest bet is to mess with the mix ratios until you find one you feel good about. I do think throwing some FX Sends in their four a type of 4 cable with your wet amp might produce cool results, but you'll still need to mess around with the mix. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, jamshaman said:

Guitar in to stomp -

Path A: dynamics, overdrive, etc. to front of dry amp via Stomp Main Left Mono Out
Path B: wet effects (delay, reverb etc.) 100% mix out via Stomp Effects Send Left Mono in to either front of wet amp or effects return of wet amp.

So in path B, the reverb will only get the wet signal of the delay. I guess I could just put the delay mix to 50% or something, and then some dry signal will be going through the wet amp, unless there's a better way... 

 

It will use up a BLOCK which is a precious commodity on the Stomp, but this is what I would do to accomplish your needs.

  • Insert a MONO SEND block before the Delay and reverb and set the SEND to Instrument level
  • Make sure the SEND is set to pass through the signal to the remainder of the chain, as well as to the send itself.
  • Leave your Delay on PATH A
  • Put your REVERB on PATH B 
  • The DRY AMP gets the signal from the SEND
  • The WET AMP gets the signal from the output which should sum to mono.. (you could go stereo with two WET amps)

Now your Dry signal is truly dry, your delay and reverb are "separately controlled" and blend back together at the outputs, and you should have three more effect blocks to work with.

 

I'll try to map it out... 

Guitar into Stomp > Dynamics, OD, etc... > SEND (send to dry amp) > Path A: DELAY  Path B: REVERB  > Output to WET AMP

 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, codamedia said:

 

It will use up a BLOCK which is a precious commodity on the Stomp, but this is what I would do to accomplish your needs.

  • Insert a MONO SEND block before the Delay and reverb and set the SEND to Instrument level
  • Make sure the SEND is set to pass through the signal to the remainder of the chain, as well as to the send itself.
  • Leave your Delay on PATH A
  • Put your REVERB on PATH B 
  • The DRY AMP gets the signal from the SEND
  • The WET AMP gets the signal from the output which should sum to mono.. (you could go stereo with two WET amps)

Now your Dry signal is truly dry, your delay and reverb are "separately controlled" and blend back together at the outputs, and you should have three more effect blocks to work with.

 

I'll try to map it out... 

Guitar into Stomp > Dynamics, OD, etc... > SEND (send to dry amp) > Path A: DELAY  Path B: REVERB  > Output to WET AMP

 



Yes! I didn't know you could put a dry through send block like that, thank you!

By the way, are there any 3rd party IRs/blocks that have delay and reverb on one block?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jamshaman said:



Yes! I didn't know you could put a dry through send block like that, thank you!

By the way, are there any 3rd party IRs/blocks that have delay and reverb on one block?

 

Whoa, sorry. For some reason I thought you didn't want any distortion in your wet ... which was unusual but not unheard of.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×