Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

JTV-59 and JTV-69: Same number of models?

Hi,

I'm on that scary precipice of just about to order a new guitar. I have been torn between the JTV-69 Standard and the JTV-59. I know when in Acoustic modelling mode, the 5-way switch on the JTV-69 will change the acoustic model. But since the JTV-59 only has a 3-way switch I wonder if it has the same number of acoustic model choices.
Thanks in advance for your help.

P.S. - I sure wish there were Variax dealers in my area. I have never bought a guitar without playing it first, and to be honest, I'm a little nervous.

Lee

- Warwick, RI

19 minutes ago, Steed353 said:

Thanks JerseyBoy (from this Brooklyn Boy!) Do you know if they have discontinued making the JTV-59? They seem REALLY hard to find, and when I do they are limited in the finishes available.

There's been no official declaration that they're not making them anymore... but given that it's a niche product, it's highly unlikely that they're in constant production. I suspect that they'll do a run here and there when there's a need... and for a platform that's nearing 10 years old, it's probably not that often. 

As for the colors... there were never a ton of options anyway. Black, cherry burst, tobacco burst, and the gold top with the P90's are all I can remember.

I knew about the P90 Goldtops but apparently there's this option - 

https://shop.line6.com/hardware/guitars/jtv-59-us-singlecut-gold.html

Man, that's a sexy guitar in my book.  But the $5k price, ugh!  

Couple refurbished Asian JTV59's for about $840  Seems a good/fair price.  Throw on a decent set of locking tuners apply good setup - quite a bargain for all that hardware.  

And yes Steed353 - welcome!  I tend to reside near Howard Beach although work connects me with the Jersey thing.  Warmer weather will ride bike in/out of city.  Very intimate geographical knowledge of Brooklyn, Queens and bridge crossings.  

I like the Les Paul-like styling of the JTV-59, but... Having spent many hours with the 5-way Strat-style selector switch on the original Variax, I've had a hard time adapting to the same 5 models being apportioned to two different settings on the 3-way switch in the '59. If I had to do it again, I'd get the '69, instead...