Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix MegaLite

terraplane

• 10 months later...

I think there is more area to trim here. Lose the big knob ( I replaced mine on my Helix Floor with a Phones knob I bought as parts as an example) . Tighten up the switches, Make the Mode/Tap buttons cycle between Bank up/down or snapshot on long-press and you'd lose 1.5"+ on the depth. Put the PS on a wall wart and the height/weight would decrease a lot. I love my floor and love how it works during a gig and set up but its a beast to cart around. Form factor wise my RP500 was the best product I ever gigged with - sonic limitations aside.

3 hours ago, requietus666 said:

at 449 and HX modelis it'a a "RIP hx stomp"

I doubt that seriously.  I'm not sure  it's using HX models or else it would have the "Helix" tag on it.  Sounds more like a rework of the POD stuff, so I doubt it will be compatible with Helix presets, but who knows?  The biggest limitation I see is the connections on the back...no XLR outputs.

42 minutes ago, DunedinDragon said:

I doubt that seriously.  I'm not sure  it's using HX models or else it would have the "Helix" tag on it.  Sounds more like a rework of the POD stuff, so I doubt it will be compatible with Helix presets, but who knows?  The biggest limitation I see is the connections on the back...no XLR outputs.

Just POD and go

The focus of the POD Go is the sounds, rather than deep editing. And it’s filled to the brim with what Line 6 describes as “professional-quality amp, cab, and effect models”. They come directly from the company’s popular HX family of effects processors, including classic amp models like the Blackface, Plexi Lead and Treadplate.

I'm assuming the HX family is the Helix's family.

That looks like a perfect quick, direct, portable, gig solution which is what I was looking for recently. I'm onboard. No XLR but they are balanced outputs so thats an available cable solution going into a snake/digi-mix box etc. Less tweakability which is fine-hopefully at least sag made the amp tweak list but can get around that. The models are based on HX and legacy stuff which is great. Would be OK without the expression pedal to easily use an outboard one but thats OK. Remains to be seen what it sounds like. 9VDC power supply so hopefully One-spot compatible, etc. ...Take my money.

I know, for me, the sounds are fine/great out of the Helix already. I don't need/want to change that at all. My basic tones haven't changed that dramatically.  If I can get a more portable solution for the growing number of sit in or quick set up situations I see then its a perfect complement. Still depends on the sound and if the tweakability is enough that the lack of that deep diving isn't a distraction.   

1 hour ago, brue58ski said:

Just POD and go

The focus of the POD Go is the sounds, rather than deep editing. And it’s filled to the brim with what Line 6 describes as “professional-quality amp, cab, and effect models”. They come directly from the company’s popular HX family of effects processors, including classic amp models like the Blackface, Plexi Lead and Treadplate.

I don’t understand why it is named “POD”, which is a term that hasn’t been used for about 4 or 5 years. If it is using Helix based HX technology why revert to the POD tag? 

Earlier in the week, over on TGP,  DI commented that there was a new box about to be announced, but also whoever bought the first one would need to be prepared for “something else” because there are lots of references to the “something else” in the owner’s manual.

Anyone got any ideas as to what the “something else” could be?

New Variax?

Fooktifino!

1 hour ago, brue58ski said:

Just POD and go

Yep, it will probably miss amp parameters like Bias, Sag etc..

5 hours ago, Heavyville said:

How many HX family members do we have?   

it's turning into the Jerry Springer show.  

Jerry, Jerry, Jerry..... 

Well according to the “Line 6 Helix Family User Group OFFICIAL and ORIGINAL” over on FarceBuck, they have 25,000. Or rather, they did until they spotted that “Quad Core” gizmo in the pipeline, then they immediately stared a new “Quad Core Family User Group OFFICIAL and ORIGINAL“ page.

Fickle!

Maybe by the end of the week they will have also added “Line 6 POD Go Family User Group OFFICIAL and ORIGINAL“!

;-)

EDIT:

Yep - it’s up and running with 75 members and this is for a product that’s not available to buy until April.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2726552727405574/?fref=gs&dti=428105950706417&hc_location=group

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, cruisinon2 said:

I get that people like having options to choose from, but how many times can you keep stuffing the same sounds into a different box? Aesthetics aside, there doesn't seem to be anything new here.

Besides the "smaller than LT, bigger than stomp" form factor so many people have been asking for, plus a built-in expression pedal, plus app editing, plus third-party IR loading outside the direct HX line....

This is going to replace my FHFX as a backup as long as they made the signal chain freely configurable. I'm still mad that some smart guy made the comp block on the Firehawk permanently stuck behind the amp model, which makes no sense for live use.

According to DI on TGP...

"All models from Helix (with very few caveats); $449.99. April."

So it's a sub $500 Helix with the limitations TBA... other than the obvious hardware differences.

Line 6 always had a strong foothold in the sub $500 market so I guess they wanted back in. It's the largest market in the industry, I can understand that reasoning. 

TBH.... Based on my needs it looks like a more practical back up rig for me than the Stomp does. The limitations and size will dictate :) 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, codamedia said:

According to DI on TGP...

"All models from Helix (with very few caveats); $449.99. April."

So it's a sub $500 Helix with the limitations TBA... other than the obvious hardware differences.

Line 6 always had a strong foothold in the sub $500 market so I guess they wanted back in. It's the largest market in the industry, I can understand that reasoning. 

TBH.... Based on my needs it looks like a more practical back up rig for me than the Stomp does. The limitations and size will dictate :) 

“The truth is out there” - well, in the Line 6 POD HD forum anyhow.

Read all about it in this post from Eric:

• Like 1

So this is the latest offering, is it?; the POD Go. Perhaps, I am missing something but, where do I plug in my beloved Variax? I don't get it. Why do Line 6 limit the connectivity potential of the Variax in this way? I mean, IMHO, it's only their most innovative product ever, so surely connections to all associated equipment is a good thing. Then again, obviously not?

10 hours ago, RJI777 said:

So this is the latest offering, is it?; the POD Go. Perhaps, I am missing something but, where do I plug in my beloved Variax? I don't get it. Why do Line 6 limit the connectivity potential of the Variax in this way? I mean, IMHO, it's only their most innovative product ever, so surely connections to all associated equipment is a good thing. Then again, obviously not?

Everything in business is calculated. There's always a plan, and it's all about numbers and a demographic target...they will sell far more of these boxes to players who either don't have, or have never even heard of a Variax, than those who do. They wanted back into the sub-$500 price point, and every extra piece of hardware you stick in there drives up the cost. They're clearly betting that many (if not most) Variax owners also own something from the Helix family already, and wouldn't be looking at this thing in the first place. And for the most part, I bet they're right.

24 minutes ago, RJI777 said:

Crusin hit the nail on the head.  But if you want the answer straight from the horse's mouth, click on the link that's in the post above yours.  

No VDI for Variax.

Last I checked... you can still plug any Variax into any device... you just can't "control it" from any device. 

In the HX (Helix) line they offer three products with VDI connections and three products without. 

Choose the product that is right for you, and let others do the same. 

You can't expect everything at the cheapest cost.... 

1 hour ago, codamedia said:

Last I checked... you can still plug any Variax into any device... you just can't "control it" from any device. 

In the HX (Helix) line they offer three products with VDI connections and three products without. 

Choose the product that is right for you, and let others do the same. 

You can't expect everything at the cheapest cost.... 

Although...they have offered Variax connectivity in most, if not all, of the other "around $500" POD floor modelers, so I can see how the expectation would be there. But, it is what it is and it ain't there.

37 minutes ago, brue58ski said:

Although...they have offered Variax connectivity in most, if not all, of the other "around $500" POD floor modelers, so I can see how the expectation would be there. But, it is what it is and it ain't there.

The other way to look at this is that only the flagship products have had VDI connectors... never the lower cost alternatives. 

Inflation taken into account, all things are still equal. 

17 minutes ago, codamedia said:

The other way to look at this is that only the flagship products have had VDI connectors... never the lower cost alternatives. 

That's true too. But, I can see how some may feel different, that's all. I personally have no skin in this game. At the very least I think it's cool to provide the HX modeling at this price point. Even cheaper than the HX Stomp. I personally won't get one. Helix for the floor. HX Stomp (eventually) for a backup and vacations.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/17/2020 at 4:12 PM, codamedia said:

Therefore, the Firehawk FX is a flagship product, is it? I think not; and have never heard another guitarist consider it as such (the opposite in fact). Pretty low cost too; at least mine was. And although I have been very critical of the Firehawk, it does cater for my Variax.

But that's just me...

Edited by RJI777
Grammatical errors

On 1/17/2020 at 3:42 PM, brue58ski said:

Well said: "It is what it is and it ain't there." And exactly the same can be said of the competition e.g., the TC Electronic Plethora X5, the latest Boss GT-1000, etc., which, for various reasons, are becoming more and more attractive to me, Variax or not.

On 1/16/2020 at 1:05 PM, cruisinon2 said:

I get that people like having options to choose from, but how many times can you keep stuffing the same sounds into a different box? Aesthetics aside, there doesn't seem to be anything new here.

That's pretty much what I was thinking: What's new? I've actually gotten so attached to all the amazing Line 6 sounds that even a flagship Helix isn't enough any more. Better?; yes. New?; I'm not convinced.

And, as I have at least four Line 6 devices (not to mention the add-ons) that provide the core sounds and effects, the competition are looking like much better alternatives e.g., based on the demos I have listened to (and various other information sources), I'd probably be better plugging into a TC Electronic Plethora X5 or a Boss GT-1000; both of which seem to offer state of the art sound quality and functionality. Of course, the fact that a lot of these sounds and effects are new to me, is a major selling point e.g., expanding on my present collection in such a way that I am not sure a Helix could.