Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Power supply to pedal from Helix Variax Input, a possible solution ?

David_P

Hi all, and sorry if this has already been discussed !

I just purchased a Helix pedalboard, to be delivered on Friday, as an alternative to my heavy rack rig, and I'll use it with a pedal-format wireless.

Ideally a G70, but it's not available here in Europe anymore (anyone got news on that front ?), so in the meantime, it will be a Shure unit.

I'm totally new to the Line 6 universe, and my question is: if I got this right, the Helix is able to power a Variax through the Variax Input socket. What are the voltage and amperage there ? If they are appropriate, it shouldn't be too complicated to wire an adapter to power a wireless pedal...

Cheers, David

Just so I understand... you don't own a Variax, you are just wondering what voltage/amperage they use so you "might" be able to wire up an adapter to power your wireless. You just purchased a Helix..... are you aware that any such usage will null your warranty. 

I'll give you some very general specs, but that's it. Can't help any further!

• My Variax 300 came with an XPS mini. That XPS requires a 9volt AC power supply rated at 2 amps. 
  • The output of the XPS to the Variax measures around 8 volt DC.

Finding the exact voltage from the VDI port would be easy... but I wouldn't try to guess at it's amperage capability.  

You guys are probably right, thanks... It's just the gearhead in me... And I'll stay with a cable for the time being.

Anyway, I received my Helix today... and it doesn't work !

Actually, it works for a few minutes, and then keeps rebooting until I shut it down. Did a few factory resets with no luck.

Very frustrating for a unit of that price, especially since in those few minutes, I can hear it sound pretty darn good !

Apparently, at least one other person had the same issue (see the bugs thread).

Opened a ticket with Line 6 support, I'll see what they say.

Cheers,

David

• Sad 1

Sorry to hear that David... 

I was going to suggest a factory reset, but you've done that already.

Good luck!

Out of curiosity, what part of France are you located? I've played several cities and festivals throughout the country and really enjoy the different regions. 

1 hour ago, David_P said:

You guys are probably right, thanks... It's just the gearhead in me... And I'll stay with a cable for the time being.

Anyway, I received my Helix today... and it doesn't work !

Actually, it works for a few minutes, and then keeps rebooting until I shut it down. Did a few factory resets with no luck.

Very frustrating for a unit of that price, especially since in those few minutes, I can hear it sound pretty darn good !

Apparently, at least one other person had the same issue (see the bugs thread).

Opened a ticket with Line 6 support, I'll see what they say.

Cheers,

David

It's brand new...send it back and get another one. 

26 minutes ago, codamedia said:

Out of curiosity, what part of France are you located? I've played several cities and festivals throughout the country and really enjoy the different regions. 

I live in Brittany, the western-most part of France. What band do you play in ?

2 hours ago, David_P said:

I live in Brittany, the western-most part of France. What band do you play in ?

The closest I've been to there was a show at a festival in Tours... I think it was 2013 or 2014. It was a European Nascar event...