Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

More Robust Ethernet Cable And Rj45 Plugs

I posted this in the Pod section, but thought it might be a bit more relevant here. Please forgive my multiple posts...

I find myself getting through far too many ethernet cables for attaching my FBV Shortboard to my Bass Pod XT Pro.

Generally what happens is that the plastic clip that locks the RJ45 connector into the socket on the Shortboard snaps off which means that the plug is no longer sufficiently secure in the socket for the pedal to work reliably. However I have had other cables fail with no visible signs of damage - most likely due to a conductor breaking somewhere along the length of the lead.

My band's gigging and rehearsing schedule is such that the gear is set up and broken down at least 10 times a week and with this kind of use standard ethernet cable and RJ45 connectors simply aren't robust enough. Currently I'm lucky if a new cable lasts me more than a couple of months. Normally I carry a spare lead, but after a recent gig where both my main ethernet cable and the spare both broke while setting up, I'm looking for something a bit more durable.

So, what do the pros use? Is there a recommended supplier of heavier-duty cable and less easily damaged RJ45 plugs? Do they have their Line6 equipment modified to use EtherCON connectors? In which case can you recommend me someone who can do this for me in the UK?

All useable ideas and suggestions gratefully received.

I'd bet that this guy: http://line6.com/support/topic/958-cool-vdi-cable/

could probably make you something pretty durable.

Thanks. I've posed the question in the thread. However the leads he's currently offering use EtherCON plugs which are no good for the Pod or Shortboard. Hopefully he can recommend and supply a plug that is more durable than the standard RJ45, but still fits in the normal socket.

Fingers crossed...

yeah, but if you're custom making them it's super simple to add whatever end...

personally i think it'd be more cost effective to just carry a spare...

although i do think that the upgraded cables are nice for the VDI... just don't think i'd go too far out of my way for the FBV cable...

of course if it's worth it to you.... then by all means! :)

I do carry a spare. It's just that at a recent gig I managed to break both cables and despite taping one of them to the Shortboard with Gaffer tape it still managed to work loose during the gig causing the Bass Pod to crash and reboot mid-song which was not a happy moment.

The high-energy rock and stage performance of my band means that I don't have time to lollipop about between songs trying to fix technical problems. I want a robust no-nonesense solution that I can rely on not to let me down. Currently the connection between the Pod and the Shortboard is weakest link in my rig by a long margin and I want to stop it being so.

Also I've probably spent more on replacement ethernet cables in the last 18 months then a couple of well made suitably robust ones would have cost. In the same time period none of the other leads in my bass rig or the Theremin set up have failed.

sounds like you're on the right track...

I do carry a spare. It's just that at a recent gig I managed to break both cables and despite taping one of them to the Shortboard with Gaffer tape it still managed to work loose during the gig causing the Bass Pod to crash and reboot mid-song which was not a happy moment.

The high-energy rock and stage performance of my band means that I don't have time to lollipop about between songs trying to fix technical problems. I want a robust no-nonesense solution that I can rely on not to let me down. Currently the connection between the Pod and the Shortboard is weakest link in my rig by a long margin and I want to stop it being so.

Also I've probably spent more on replacement ethernet cables in the last 18 months then a couple of well made suitably robust ones would have cost. In the same time period none of the other leads in my bass rig or the Theremin set up have failed.

I think they are of his band, and self promotion is probably ok... just looks commercial because of the branded links to buy their music...

@ BigRedX: what's with the embedded links in your signature? It's not really OK to try to market/sell stuff here with every post you make - can you please remove it?

@ BigRedX: what's with the embedded links in your signature? It's not really OK to try to market/sell stuff here with every post you make - can you please remove it?

silverhead, sorry if the links are causing you a problem. Before adding them to my signature I did look at the "Welcome to the Line 6 forums" post and waded through the impenetrable legalese of the Forum Terms & Conditions but I couldn't see anything that prohibited them.

If they are against forum policy and an official forum moderator or admin asks me to remove them I'll be happy to oblige.

They are simply links to my bands music that has been produced using various pieces of Line 6 equipment that I've been happy to use for the past 10 or so years...

And ultimately it is the music that is produced that as musicians we should be celebrating is it not?

• Upvote 1

I have had the best service and highly recommend these guys for your cable needs.  They make top quality gear at reasonable prices and build to order.

http://best-tronics.com/guitar-cable/ethernet/tactical.aspx

PS. I have absolutely no relations or business interest with them, they just do the job.

I have had the best service and highly recommend these guys for your cable needs.  They make top quality gear at reasonable prices and build to order.

http://best-tronics.com/guitar-cable/ethernet/tactical.aspx

PS. I have absolutely no relations or business interest with them, they just do the job.

Thanks!

I assume you are recommending this cable option, or is there a better one you think I should be looking at?

Also I'm in the UK. I've emailed Best-Tronic to see if they do international shipping but unfortunately IME companies that don't mention it generally don't...

I haven't ordered these from them but I have plenty of other cables that were all very high quality at reasonable prices.  While these are for Line 6 products, I can't tell if the connectors are higher strength than regular.  I suggest you ask them direct for recommendations once they reply to you.  They build for many major touring acts and industrial applications too so I am sure they have a solution that can work for you... let us know how it works out!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I know I'm necrobumping this, but I ordered a 3ft Durapatch from Rapco (should have been a 6) to use at home with my fbv right in front of my amp and definitely think a longer one would be great for stage...

I'm also looking to mod my fbv and my amp with som ethercon jacks. I didn't have any luck with the forums on finding anyone that's attempted this, but I figure since I'll need a new fbv (2 switches don't work) I might as well Frankenstein it.

http://www.amazon.com/Rapco-Horizon-DURAPATCH-30-30-Feet-Stranded/dp/B00G8Y7EO2/ref=sr_1_8?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1400338669&sr=1-8&keywords=Durapatch+rj45