Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

POD Mic Recording + DI

Kukuruza

Hi everyone. 

Really hope that somebody can help me.

Here is what I wanted: I want to record 2 tracks simultaneously in Reaper.

1 track - DI signal from guitar

2 track - Signal that was processed by POD FX (like a pedalboard), then it goes to real amp (which input should I use - guitar in or FX return?),  and then this signal is picked up by real Mic  that is connected to POD Mic in input, and then this signal goes to PC as a second track.

Is it possible? Please advise how to set it properly, I tried to do it, but got feedbacks when the mic is put towards the cabinet.

I got stuck

I've attached the picture of what I mean

Many thanks in advance

IMG_20190228_115121_022.jpg

Looks like you want to record dry and wet signals, but why are you connecting mic? 

With USB you can only record one channel.

Can you give some details as to what you are trying to achieve? 

Then rather than troubleshooting the current setup, someone may be able to advice better options.

1 hour ago, Strat2Die4 said:

Looks like you want to record dry and wet signals, but why are you connecting mic? 

With USB you can only record one channel.

Can you give some details as to what you are trying to achieve? 

Then rather than troubleshooting the current setup, someone may be able to advice better options.

Exactly.

I want to record dry & wet simultaneously as 2 separate tracks in Reaper.

1) Dry signal: I want to have the exact same take as my wet signal, so I could use plugins or reamp this it later if I need.

2) Wet signal: I have a real amp, real cabinet, real mic - so I want to record my wet signal that is processed by POD effects (without modelling PODs Amps and Cabs)

that goes straight into my real amp. That is why I want to Mic the real cabinet and record this processed signal (using PODs Mic In input) into a DAW as a 2 track (but it still will be the same take as my Dry signal)

I hope that it is possible

You'll want to set Input 1 to guitar and rout it only to signal path A. Set Input 2 to mic and rout it only to signal path B. Then use the mixer to send signal path A 100% left and signal path B to 100% right. Do not use any FX after the mixer cuz some of those will muck with the stereo separation. You now should have a single stereo output to your PC containing the guitar on 1 side and the mic on the other.

14 hours ago, pfsmith0 said:

You'll want to set Input 1 to guitar and rout it only to signal path A. Set Input 2 to mic and rout it only to signal path B. Then use the mixer to send signal path A 100% left and signal path B to 100% right. Do not use any FX after the mixer cuz some of those will muck with the stereo separation. You now should have a single stereo output to your PC containing the guitar on 1 side and the mic on the other.

Thanks for the reply

Yes, I tried that already. It actually works, I can record Dry & Wet this way

except for one thing:

I can't put the Mic close to the Cab - it just starts to feedback. 

How can I fix it?

Should I use the knob to reduce the level of Mic In input?

I think I've seen this knob on the back of the POD, not sure though... (I'm new to POD)

Are there any other methods to record 2 signals (dry and wet) simultaneously the way I want?

ALSO:

I have Focusrite 2i2 interface lying around.

Maybe I could use that too somehow, but I just don't know how to connect them together properly?

Thanks again 

1 hour ago, pfsmith0 said:

Mute the computer monitors and see if the feedback goes away.

I don't have any monitors. The only sound source I can hear in the room is my real Amp/Cab, but I can't switch it off as I need its sounds for recording

Ok.

1)I've tried to reduce the Mic In level with the knob on the back of POD - still have feedback

2)Tried to monitor the processed signal from Reaper (ASIO Driver option "Hardware monitor" is switched off - in this case the processed sound comes out from the Cab with latency) - still have feedbacks if I put the Mic near the Cab

3)Tried to switch off monitoring of the processed signal in Reaper and to use Direct Monitoring (ASIO Driver option "Hardware monitor" is switched on, in this case I have no latency, the sound comes out of the Cab) - no luck, still have feedbacks if I put the Mic near the Cab 

Any ideas, please?