Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp midi footswitch question

gibsonkal1

Hi Folks, Just got a HX Stomp. Great pedal! One seemingly silly question I have is: will a 3 or 4 button midi amp footswitch work with the HX Stomp? (Like a Peavey or Randall 4 or 5 switch for amps) for turning fx on and off? Or would I be better off with a Midi Mongoose. I don't want to spend any more than $125 if possible. Whats an inexpensive way to add foot switches. -Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere. Just joined. Thanks!

3 hours ago, gibsonkal1 said:

Hi Folks, Just got a HX Stomp. Great pedal! One seemingly silly question I have is: will a 3 or 4 button midi amp footswitch work with the HX Stomp? (Like a Peavey or Randall 4 or 5 switch for amps) for turning fx on and off? Or would I be better off with a Midi Mongoose. I don't want to spend any more than $125 if possible. Whats an inexpensive way to add foot switches. -Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere. Just joined. Thanks!

Eh ... product specific midi designs tend to be very limited with their universal applicability. As long as it isn't sending some sort of reserved midi message the Stomp's midi learn function will give you some functionality, but I'd be pretty cautious of going that route.

The midi mongoose seems largely designed for things like preset changes. I don't know how great it would work at fx on and off (maybe amazing). The cheapest full functioning all in one controller I've found is linked below, but the one complaint people have is the difficulty figuring it out. For my money, I decided long ago if I get one it's the more expensive Morningstar MC6 one.

MeloAudio MIDI Commander Guitar Floor Multi-Effects Portable USB MIDI Foot Controller Foot Switches https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07DQPTZ1F/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_F3cECb4CRMJCM

4 hours ago, gibsonkal1 said:

The MIDI Mongoose is a very limited MIDI controller. It only sends PC messages, so the only thing you could do with it is select presets on the Stomp. The Disaster Area Designs DMC.micro is a pretty versatile 2-button control that will let you do a variety of things. It has several different modes, and it's kind of up to you how you want to use it. It goes for $99.

I just installed MidiWatch on my Apple Watch and used it to control my HX Stomp. It worked great and was easy to setup. I use it to change patches, change pedal modes between stomp and snapshots, to control a few key voicing parameters (drive, tone, level) and that one or two effect that often don't have a footswitch - usually chorus and delay.

If you've got an iPhone and Apple Watch already, this is a pretty good solution. If you don't it would be hideously expensive for only this purpose.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/1/2019 at 8:47 PM, amsdenj said:

I just installed MidiWatch on my Apple Watch and used it to control my HX Stomp. It worked great and was easy to setup. I use it to change patches, change pedal modes between stomp and snapshots, to control a few key voicing parameters (drive, tone, level) and that one or two effect that often don't have a footswitch - usually chorus and delay.

If you've got an iPhone and Apple Watch already, this is a pretty good solution. If you don't it would be hideously expensive for only this purpose.

Hello all, first post here, @amsdenj - I would like to know more about this as well. How did you interface with your phone into the HX? I think the app is called: 

http://uwyn.com/midiwrist/

I just bought the HX Stomp and played my first gig with it a few weeks ago, fantastic pedal! I have the Mission TT2 setup but I would just like something simple to switch patches without all the futzing with footswitches. 

Thanks, 

~delton