Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

10” vs 12” FRFR

sonofboar

So I’m looking at QSC K.2 series. My question is this: does the 10” have enough low end for metal/palm mutes?

I’m leaning more towards the 12” because of the EQ control. What experiences do you all have with 10” vs 12” speakers? I hear that most people prefer 10” if they’re mainly using guitars. I went to my local music store and tested out the JBL Eon 610 and the Alto TS312. The Alto had too much low end whereas the JBL had just enough. What do you think?

17 minutes ago, sonofboar said:

The Alto had too much low end whereas the JBL had just enough. What do you think?

You can always cut frequencies that you have in abundance... but you can't boost what ain't there in the first place. Sooner or later, you may find yourself in situation where "just enough" low end becomes "where'd the bass go?". Besides... there's only so much you can learn about a unit by playing unaccompanied at music store volume. Until you're using the thing in context, anything you pick is a gamble. 

Hi

i think it's crucial for what you want to use the FRFR box.

For personal monitoring

- too much low end (even if you like the feeling) will pollute the stage sound (esp. on medium and small stages) - it's not unlikely that your sound guy will ask you to tone it down,

- 'feeling palm mutes' is not really crucial and

- weight is a topic - dragging 2,5 kg around that you don't need is no fun.

Together with the sound that i really like - that were the points that made me decide fot the TS 310 (instead of the 312).

Bye

Simon

1 hour ago, Simon268 said:

Hi

i think it's crucial for what you want to use the FRFR box.

For personal monitoring

- too much low end (even if you like the feeling) will pollute the stage sound (esp. on medium and small stages) - it's not unlikely that your sound guy will ask you to tone it down,

- 'feeling palm mutes' is not really crucial and

- weight is a topic - dragging 2,5 kg around that you don't need is no fun.

Together with the sound that i really like - that were the points that made me decide fot the TS 310 (instead of the 312).

Bye

Simon

I want to use it for personal monitoring AND as a main as if it was my “cabinet”

Go for the 12s. If you don't need the "oomph" you can always cut stuff. If it's not there to begin with, you can't add it back in.

And feeling mutes if half the fun of playing metal guitar live! I run two Mackier Thump 12s or Two EV ZLX 12P monitors in places without PA support and it feels niiiiiice.

Sounds like mainly a lot of 'FOMO' (fear of missing out) to me. ;-)

it's not forbidden - and since both option differ only little understandable and no real problem. So i would strongly suggest to just try both for yourself. Finally nobody can decide it for you.

There are people who are perfectly happy with a 10'' Box but obviously - since they are being sold - other who prefer 12''.

I just wanted to point out that also the 12'' box has drawbacks in certain settings and its not always the 'if you can afford it do it'-solution. ;-)

Also i dont have something like '..my cabinet...' between my monitor (= what i hear) and FOH (= what the audience hears). Maybe that made my decision easier. (Further i usually play in locations where lower volume and clearer sound on stage are mandatory).

just my 2ct

Simon

A bigger speaker can be EQ'd to put out less low end if the situation calls for it, a smaller speaker can't be EQ'd to sound bigger/bassier, though. That's the beauty of FRFR. It sounds more or less the same at any volume. If you're on a stage that's too small for one 12in monitor, you probably don't need any on-stage monitoring and can just go FOH, because you're gonna be playing pretty quiet anyways. Or you put in on a pole to get it up off the floor.

21 hours ago, sonofboar said:

So I’m looking at QSC K.2 series. My question is this: does the 10” have enough low end for metal/palm mutes?

I’m leaning more towards the 12” because of the EQ control. What experiences do you all have with 10” vs 12” speakers? I hear that most people prefer 10” if they’re mainly using guitars. I went to my local music store and tested out the JBL Eon 610 and the Alto TS312. The Alto had too much low end whereas the JBL had just enough. What do you think?

You are wanting to buy a QSC K series and are judging which size to buy based on hearing a JBL Eon and Alto TS312? 

IMO.... the size of the speaker in those boxes is trivial compared to all the other differences. 

Just because the JBL had "just enough low end" doesn't mean the 10" QSC will be the same.

If you want a QSC, you have to try a QSC... not a JBL and an ALTO.  

It also depends on what you're competing with in the mix. The other guitar player in my band is using a Fender Blues Junior. For such a small, low-power amp, its really loud, bright and narrow dispersion. I couldn't compete with that even using two JBL EON610's. But PowerCab Plus seems to match up with it better. 

boar, most local shops here that knew me would let me try "before" you buy. If that's so in your neck of the woods take one of your choice home for a night and test it. Take the next one home and compare notes. Another choice is to order both and use the 45-day return policy on the one you like the least.