Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

POD HD500X keeps on crashing my new Win10 PC

tRuE_pLaya

Hi,

I've been trying to find a solution to this but haven't been able to. I have bought this new laptop with Win10 but as soon as I connect POD HD500X via USB the computer crashes within a few seconds with a blue screen. I have tried different ports, updated the drivers, taken out all other USBs connected to it, but nothing has worked so far. I've seen there are other people who are also having the same issue. Has anyone figured out the fix for this? Thanks in advance!

• 3 weeks later...

My HD500 causes the blue screen problem as well...and it's been going on now for about a year.  I still don't have a fix and I've tried so many different possible fixes that I'm tired of trying.  Despite that, I NEED to get the HD500 and my laptop to make up and be friends again.  They worked together nicely for close to two years...but then came the BSOD crash!  Days later it happened again...and then again but sooner.  It kept getting more and more frequent until now I'd be lucky to get 5 minutes before a crash.

My workaround has been to replace the HD500 with an ancient Toneport UX-2, which runs beautifully with no crashes whatsoever.  This proves that the problem lies with the HD500 itself or possibly some driver conflict.  Everything is up to date, BTW.  That was the first thing I checked.

I know this problem dates back to as far as 2014 and I have yet to see any posts by Line 6 folks that address this problem with HD500 AND HD500X crashing Windows 10.  I and many others would be most appreciative if someone from Line 6 could shine some light on this very agonizing situation.  I'm just about ready to list my HD500 on eBay or facebook or ???  I'd rather keep it, unless someone wants to trade me their HELIX...or even their HX Stomp.  I'd take either one of those trades, once I made sure they didn't crash my computer.

Come on, Line 6, LOTS of folks are depending on YOU for help with this very old problem.  That would go a long way toward giving extra credit to the Line 6 Support team...at a time when it seems that Line 6 Support could use some support.  No offense intended...but this has gone on for much too long with no response [that I've seen] from Line 6.

13 hours ago, overdub said:

My workaround has been to replace the HD500 with an ancient Toneport UX-2, which runs beautifully with no crashes whatsoever.  This proves that the problem lies with the HD500 itself or possibly some driver conflict. 

Yes - the latter part of your comment would be accurate, but there is absolutely NO PROOF this is the problem of the HD500 itself (or it's drivers) or we would ALL be facing this issue. It doesn't help you... but I don't have this problem :) Just sayin'. 

These are user forums, not the best place to get "company driven" results. We are just a user base that's the intent of forums. 

Submit your problem to Line 6 through their ticket system with as much details as you can possibly provide about your system, including every peripheral attached to it. 

16 hours ago, overdub said:

My HD500 causes the blue screen problem as well...and it's been going on now for about a year.  I still don't have a fix and I've tried so many different possible fixes that I'm tired of trying.  Despite that, I NEED to get the HD500 and my laptop to make up and be friends again.  They worked together nicely for close to two years...but then came the BSOD crash!  Days later it happened again...and then again but sooner.  It kept getting more and more frequent until now I'd be lucky to get 5 minutes before a crash.

My workaround has been to replace the HD500 with an ancient Toneport UX-2, which runs beautifully with no crashes whatsoever.  This proves that the problem lies with the HD500 itself or possibly some driver conflict.  Everything is up to date, BTW.  That was the first thing I checked.

So finally after days of agony and frustration I have finally seem to fix the issue with crashing Win10 when connecting to HD500X. Just to let you know I had called Dell support but they couldn't help. Called Microsoft support, had several sessions with their tech support for the past 3 weeks and still they couldn't figure out why it was crashing. So as a last resort I had to do this:

I reset my Win10 from the settings menu (with option 'keep your files'). Well, Win10 was reset but half of the essential apps that were suppose to come with Win10 were now gone missing. Finally found a way around to get the Win10 updated again but this time from the Microsoft website directly. This time had a nice and clean install and all the apps appeared again in the system. But now Line6 Monkey wouldn't work after I reinstalled it,  and it would only give me an option to connect to PODxt. Plus my Google Chrome wouldn't load any pages and was not able to install some other apps from the MS Edge browser. Something fishy was going on. Almost two days of frustration and playing with the firewall in Windows Defender still the problem wasn't solved. Then lo and behold, I found that this piece of s*** McAfee anti-virus was still running in the background although it was not being displayed in the systems tray. Tried to uninstall it which pretty much failed because you know it's McAfee. So I had to manually stop mcafee services from the Task Manager and then delete all mcafee files and folders from under Program Files. But that wasn't enough either. I also had to manually delete all the registries that had 'mcafee' in it by doing 'regedit' as I didn't want any traces of mcafee on my system. It was a very long and tedious process but you may not even have to do it. 

So I hope this issue is fixed for good. You can try these two things in order:

1) Uninstall any bloatware kind of anti-virus from your system (such as McAfee). Kill the services and processes of it and then try to see if it still crashes when you connect to POD. (Windows Defender is much better than all other ant-viruses that I have seen. And it's free) 

2) If above still doesn't work then reset your windows. 

Hopefully the issue will be solved.

Cheers!

• Like 1

I had so many problems with the Driver of POD HD500X for so long. I never found a solution really and the whole BSOD thing was non-deterministic imo. They could happen randomly at any time at all or not happen for days. The way I solved it, was that I stopped using POD HD500X as an audio interface. I bought Focusrite 6i6 and connected it to POD using SPDIF to avoid possible latency. Never had a crash since, which pretty much proves that the problem lied with the POD driver.

• Upvote 2

Yes and then no and then yes and then no etc. Ad infinitum. I tried every suggestion on the internet by the many more who had the same issue. My conclusion: the problem is the Line 6 driver and more specifically the audio interface part of the driver. Because even now I still keep pod hd500x connected to the laptop for handling it through HD POD Edit Software. And this seems to be OK. When POD was working as an audio interface, I had BSODs all the time.

On 4/1/2019 at 2:16 PM, kakarontzas said:

even now I still keep pod hd500x connected to the laptop for handling it through HD POD Edit Software. And this seems to be OK. When POD was working as an audio interface, I had BSODs all the time.

So, are you saying it's ok to connect your hd500 to your computer BUT just don't choose it as your default audio device...and the computer doesn't crash?  I'll try connecting my 500 again, while keeping the old Toneport UX-2 as the default audio device and see what happens...will report back with results.

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

Found this thread while researching. 

I have a POD HD that I use for holidays. I've just replaced the laptop I have used with it for years and... oh dear what a mess. Repeated BSODs, weird behaviour from the POD requiring restarts and so on. I'm using a brand new Dell XPS 15 2019 with a fully patched W10 and nothing much else except an email client and Office - so very vanilla, software-wise. 

On my previous setup I had POD handling guitar *only* and the inboard audio chipset dealing with music playback. The laptop is connected to a Roland Cube Lite mini combo as well as POD. This was perfectly stable over several years of use.

But when I installed POD on the new laptop, the default setup kicked in and POD tried to take over all the audio processing functions. This is the source of the problem. As soon as I forced POD to stick to guitar only and allowed the inboard audio chip to deal with music playback, the horror show stopped instantly and stability returned. 

Of course there may be other reasons why you might get BSODs, but I can say confidently that this was mine, and the problem was easily solved. 

On 3/31/2019 at 12:09 PM, codamedia said:

These are user forums, not the best place to get "company driven" results. We are just a user base that's the intent of forums. 

Submit your problem to Line 6 through their ticket system with as much details as you can possibly provide about your system, including every peripheral attached to it. 

If only that was a solution.  I had my own problem with POD HD 500X crashing my system.  different but similar.  I got far more help from this forum than  Line 6.  Line 6 was, charitably, worthless.  Their response was little more than "Gee.  That's too bad."    Of course, the canned response was update the drivers which were and are, up to date.

I can't get my system to work yet.  But I at least got some suggestions here.  Far more than from Line 6.

I figured something out about these problems.

1. This is definitely a problem with a driver because it can't handle any data loss during data transition through USB. I may be wrong but in Windows 7 when you unplug the processor during a session in DAW, your system works for about 10 seconds and then it hangs, BUT - blue screen of death doesn't occur. In Windows 10 when you unplug your processor, your system immediately shows blue screen with SYSTEM_EXCEPTION error no matter what port you use. It is definitely a problem with a driver code, but it can give you an idea that something is wrong with your computer. It's like - if you have a perfect USB data delivery bit-to-bit, you won't experience this bug.

2. So what I did in my case is - I tested some of the USB ports on my PC, and the front ones appeared to be faulty (they're just unstable - even USB flash disks disconnect during copying some files). I decided that the root of my problem may be very high ripple of data signal on these ports (voltage is OK). To test my idea, I have changed my old power supply unit to a new Corsair RMx and placed different videocard instead of my usual Vega 56. Voila - ports worked excellent, but there's more - I haven't got any BSODs yet in DAWs using ASIO. I also usually use a rear USB port for my processor now, no issues as well (I used USB ports on a front panel before, need to try them now).

3. To stabilize even more, I used DPC Latency Checker and LatencyMon to find problems if there're any. I found out that Intel Gigabit adapter caused DPC latency spikes, so I updated the driver which helped me to neutralize them. I do not know if it helped a lot, but I think this was a problem as well.

Glad to hear you got your POD problem solved. For me, the problem was solved but only at some unexpected expense. That expense was, first, get RID of my formerly beloved HD500, immediately followed up by purchasing a brand new HELIX. Problem solved. 

18 hours ago, overdub said:

Glad to hear you got your POD problem solved. For me, the problem was solved but only at some unexpected expense. That expense was, first, get RID of my formerly beloved HD500, immediately followed up by purchasing a brand new HELIX. Problem solved. 

I hear ya! It's a shame Line6 has no concern whatsoever!

On 9/4/2019 at 6:27 PM, overdub said:

On 9/5/2019 at 12:43 PM, tRuE_pLaya said:

I hear ya! It's a shame Line6 has no concern whatsoever!

This is what I may have to resort to.  I can look it up, and probably will, but is the Helix a lot more expensive? 

For now, I have given up on the possible use of a multi-effcts system.  I went back to my tube amp and pedals.  And I will continue using this for the present.  But the problem is that I had sacrificed my previous sound system for my computer.  My POD is my sound card.  So I have sound for awhile, it crashes and then I reboot.  I have to continue this silliness or go out and get different speakers, etc.

And, if I am going to record guitar, I'll have to get my guitar interface back out (Scarlett) or mic my amp.

tRuE_pLaya, you said it well!  "Line6 has no concern whatsoever!".  There is no possible way Line 6 can show less concern for its customers.

• 1 month later...

Ok, Im joining this thread, as I have identical problems, with BSOD spitting out all kinds of different messages, KERNEL etc etc.  I thought it was just my Razer laptop that had bad hardware, but on seeing these posts I see it may by Line6 drivers at fault.

Also, i cannot use line6 HD500 with USB while computer power is plugged in to power.  I know this is an ongoing earthing problem that Line6 seems to not have a simple solution too.

Quite disappointing if solution is to buy a Helix.  I would prefer not to, as it only encourages line6 to not fix older hardware issues.

Setting the POD as the main audio interface in place of the still present integrated one can cause conflicts on some PC..

Unfortunately when you install the POD drivers the procedure sets automatically the POD as the main audio interface for everything..

The problem is that as soon as the PC loses the connection with the device (which is replacing the main integrated one) it crashes.

The connection between PC and POD can be lost for several reasons like:
- disconnecting physically the device or turning it off while the PC is still turned on..
- the ASIO driver buffers settings can't handle the system requests in a given moment and the driver hangs/crashes..
- bad USB cable or USB ports,  etc.
- USB 3 works bad with PODs (use always USB 2 only ports)

The only way to set effectively the POD NOT as the main interface is while it is turned on and connected by USB, opening the PC audio control panel and setting back the integrated audio interface as the main AI.

Then in each program/application where you need to specifically use the POD as AI (like a DAW or media player) you can use its dedicated and independent audio settings to select the POD.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

On 10/25/2019 at 10:32 AM, hurghanico said:

The connection between PC and POD can be lost for several reasons like:
- disconnecting physically the device or turning it off while the PC is still turned on..
- the ASIO driver buffers settings can't handle the system requests in a given moment and the driver hangs/crashes..
- bad USB cable or USB ports,  etc.
- USB 3 works bad with PODs (use always USB 2 only ports)

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

These are really good suggestions! Definitely use USB2 ports and not USB3

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/30/2019 at 11:33 PM, overdub said:

Come on, Line 6, LOTS of folks are depending on YOU for help with this very old problem.  That would go a long way toward giving extra credit to the Line 6 Support team...at a time when it seems that Line 6 Support could use some support.  No offense intended...but this has gone on for much too long with no response [that I've seen] from Line 6.

Hi, any luck yet? I am also one of many that have this issue and have tried everything.

• 5 months later...
On 11/14/2019 at 7:36 PM, rpalmer3 said:

Hi, any luck yet? I am also one of many that have this issue and have tried everything.

Just bought a new Win10 PC with only USB 3.0 ports and no 2.0. I guess I'm out of luck bcoz it keeps on crashing with the blue screen of death. Line6 doesn't give a damn about this issue...

8 minutes ago, spaceatl said:

Actually, it is more likely to be the USB firmware than the driver IMO...I seriously doubt Line 6 will be updating such things on a 10 year old modeler.

I had these problems on Win 7 5 years ago, just nothing like I am today with Win 10.

I already gave up and just ordered another interface, I may still continue to troubleshoot though

• 3 months later...
On 3/31/2019 at 5:07 PM, tRuE_pLaya said:

So finally after days of agony and frustration I have finally seem to fix the issue with crashing Win10 when connecting to HD500X. Just to let you know I had called Dell support but they couldn't help. Called Microsoft support, had several sessions with their tech support for the past 3 weeks and still they couldn't figure out why it was crashing. So as a last resort I had to do this:

I reset my Win10 from the settings menu (with option 'keep your files'). Well, Win10 was reset but half of the essential apps that were suppose to come with Win10 were now gone missing. Finally found a way around to get the Win10 updated again but this time from the Microsoft website directly. This time had a nice and clean install and all the apps appeared again in the system. But now Line6 Monkey wouldn't work after I reinstalled it,  and it would only give me an option to connect to PODxt. Plus my Google Chrome wouldn't load any pages and was not able to install some other apps from the MS Edge browser. Something fishy was going on. Almost two days of frustration and playing with the firewall in Windows Defender still the problem wasn't solved. Then lo and behold, I found that this piece of s*** McAfee anti-virus was still running in the background although it was not being displayed in the systems tray. Tried to uninstall it which pretty much failed because you know it's McAfee. So I had to manually stop mcafee services from the Task Manager and then delete all mcafee files and folders from under Program Files. But that wasn't enough either. I also had to manually delete all the registries that had 'mcafee' in it by doing 'regedit' as I didn't want any traces of mcafee on my system. It was a very long and tedious process but you may not even have to do it. 

So I hope this issue is fixed for good. You can try these two things in order:

1) Uninstall any bloatware kind of anti-virus from your system (such as McAfee). Kill the services and processes of it and then try to see if it still crashes when you connect to POD. (Windows Defender is much better than all other ant-viruses that I have seen. And it's free) 

2) If above still doesn't work then reset your windows. 

Hopefully the issue will be solved.

Cheers!

I had the same problem, Win10 crash when I connect or use  the HD500X driver. I followed your suggestion and completely unistall McAfee anti-virus, the problem was solved and now its working great both on 2.0 and 3.0 usb ports. Thanks tRuE_pLaya!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...