Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hd500x Low Volume Output

vpnicoletti

I fired up my new HD500x today and am having some troubles with low volume output through the 1/4 outs and phones jack. Most patches need to be cranked fairly loud using the Master knob to be at any sort of reasonable level. The signal output through the headphones is very soft as well.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Master Knob is supposed to be 100% for best sound quality according to Line 6.  You turn it down if using headphones or if the system receiving the signal doesn't have a volume control or is being overloaded.

Generally the HD is quite quiet to avoid clipping - especially with Acoustic Guitar the normal signal level is generally -12db

• 1 year later...

I too am having volume output problems with my HD500x.

I fired mine up for the first time and was barely able to get any volume from my amp even with master and preset volumes up.

There's no way I can use this in a live gig unless this is solved. Any answers to this other than the pod is generally quiet?

I too am having volume output problems with my HD500x.

I fired mine up for the first time and was barely able to get any volume from my amp even with master and preset volumes up.

There's no way I can use this in a live gig unless this is solved. Any answers to this other than the pod is generally quiet?

Have never really had an issue getting the volume I need. I wouldn't say the POD is generally quiet. There are numerous places within the signal chain to adjust the volume to what you need. Even with the amp/line switch for the 1/4" outs set to amp, you should be able to get more than enough volume for a typical guitar amp input.

The channel volume for the amp block is the first place to boost. After that, you have the mixer block. Also, there's nothing wrong, really, with setting the amp/line switch to line if you need more volume going to your amp. I'd start with the master volume lower, though, when you do that, and then increase it as needed.

I am running into a similar issue.  I dial in a good tone and then when I get to practice I have to crank my power amp and the master on the HD Pro X to get to a level we can hear above our drummer.  Then, I start getting feedback becuase I have had to crank the levels (simulated amp volume, Master POD volume, and power amp) up so high.  As a result I have to get really aggressive on my noise gates, which is kind of a buzz kill to the tone and the sustain.  I was hoping that when I moved to the Matrix power amp I would be able to leave the Pod's volumes in a sweet spot and get the volume needed from the power amp.  Not quite happening so far.

My Setup:

HD Pro X Unbalanced Left and Right Outputs (Set to Line) => Matrix GT800FX => Mesa 4x12 Cab

Any suggestions?

• 1 month later...

I have the exact same problem... HD500X direct out via ¼ mono into PA mixer is way too quite.

Other guitar play uses a RP1000 without any problem.

Tried different connections into PA Mixer, same problem.

Master volume is at 10.

Every patch has some problem...

I like to plug something into the mp3 jack. The mp3 jack is not affected by any of the controls, including master volume. 

I use that signal as my baseline. Master volume at 10 doesn't apply to me. I match the master volume to the mp3 volume.

If your mp3 volume is low, you either have a faulty total output, or you have unrealistic expectations of volume --- and I don't think any of us will know the difference online. Someone needs to see it in person. 

If your mp3 volume is fine, then your patch design needs changed. 

• 8 years later...

While this is an old thread, I thought I would post an alternative solution for newbies/used equipment market. In a round-about way I stumbled onto a solution. The S/PDIF output. Using a FiiO Taishan digital to analog audio converter (or similar) I had lying around I was able to use the digital output. It is the equivalent of having the master cranked to max but offers a cleaner signal IMO. Going this route I was able to turn my power amp down significantly. Also, no longer need to boost signal in amp/effects path. The converter auto syncs at 96Khz. You can use a regular shielded RCA cable for S/PDIF connection. I used an old composite video cable and used the yellow video cable for S/PDIF and Red & White for audio. Two RCA to 1/4" adapters will be needed to connect to power amp and a USB power adapter for the converter power. This set-up can also be used to run into an audio interface that does not have an S/PDIF input or into a looper and maintain connection to your amp. I had crafted a case for my Pod HD Desktop and this all fits nicely underneath. Power strip turns on Pod and converter. No noise and wow, what clarity and volume! 

FiiO_converter.jpg

pod_hd.jpg

amp.jpg