Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

FRFR Recommendation (I know, I know...)

guitarbloke1980

So having read several days worth of posts about FRFR, I’ve reach the conclusion that there is no ‘BEST’ option and it all depends on your specific needs/style.

With that in mind, I wonder if I could get some ideas of which FRFR solution would suit my 2 setups – in both situations I’ll be competing against a guitarist who uses a Dual Rectifier with 2x12 cab, and a very powerful drummer & bassist.

Setup 1:

HX Stomp into FRFR onstage and to FOH.

FRFR will be placed behind me where a guitar amp/cab would usually go - Horizontally like a wedge monitor, directing the sound up towards the back of my head.  A pole is not an option sadly :( 

Using in-ears (1 ear plugged in, and the other one is open to reduce the isolation)

Full (loud) band - Playing hard rock. 

I want the ‘amp in the room’ feel on stage.  I don’t mind not hearing it exactly as the audience hears it.

Setup 2:

As above but in this instance, I want the sound onstage to be exactly what the audience is hearing.

EV ZLX 12P seems to be the current bang-for-the-buck option. I tried Alto, JBL, and new Mackies recently and the EV sounded really good and wasn't majorly expensive. You might wanna look into an ambiance mic instead of using one IEM out, too. Good way to defeat the purpose of IEMs is to have to keep turning them up to get over the stage sound. Or get some earbuds with less isolation.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, gunpointmetal said:

EV ZLX 12P seems to be the current bang-for-the-buck option. I tried Alto, JBL, and new Mackies recently and the EV sounded really good and wasn't majorly expensive. You might wanna look into an ambiance mic instead of using one IEM out, too. Good way to defeat the purpose of IEMs is to have to keep turning them up to get over the stage sound. Or get some earbuds with less isolation.

Thanks!  I'll look into the EV ZLX :)

I can get JBL at good prices as I work for Harman - is there a particular range you'd suggest?  EON/PRX/VRX?

All the JBLs I tried sounded off with guitar. I think the crossover is either a wider point or set higher up in the frequency spectrum so the highs felt "separate" from the rest of the guitar tone. the ZLX in "Monitor" setting sounded like I wanted to hear. Best bet is to try a few and see what clicks.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, gunpointmetal said:

All the JBLs I tried sounded off with guitar. I think the crossover is either a wider point or set higher up in the frequency spectrum so the highs felt "separate" from the rest of the guitar tone. the ZLX in "Monitor" setting sounded like I wanted to hear. Best bet is to try a few and see what clicks.

Thanks man - any advantage/disadvantage to going for a 15"? 

I'm not sure it's necessary, but then again, as it's only a single speaker, I wonder if it'll carry the bottom end a bit better with a 15".?

45 minutes ago, guitarbloke1980 said:

Thanks man - any advantage/disadvantage to going for a 15"? 

I'm not sure it's necessary, but then again, as it's only a single speaker, I wonder if it'll carry the bottom end a bit better with a 15".?

Trust me...at significant volume, you are going to find the need to use a low cut filter, even if you go with a 10" speaker. You're worrying way too much about about the low end. In a live setting, mids are your concern if you want to avoid disappearing fron the mix entirely. The extra low end that you might be tempted to dial in when playing unaccompanied at home at low volume, or during a test drive at a music store is NOT your friend in a live situation. 

• Like 1

For me, a 10" speaker worked best.  When I was test driving the QSC K10.2 's, the 10" sounded way tighter than the 12".  Also, I just wanted to emphasize that what Crusin said about the lows and the mids is spot on.  One thing I've learned is, don't rely on the sound guy to fix your problems.  Some sound guys are really good at EQ, while others are not.  I encourage you to checkout some isolated guitar tracks on YouTube.  You'll be amazed at how thin the guitars sound when they are isolated from the full mix.  

• Like 1

Tried a few things and the powercab plus is what I've stuck with. 

Can do either of the scenarios you mention, but I run full range with the 'micd amp sound' behind me on an angle and in ears for the stereo version - or sometimes just one in to supplemnt the guit levels for me + vocal foldback send. 

The smaller places we play I rely on just the PowerCab, larger I go to the desk direct from the Helix.

When I get the money and around to it - it'll be 2 powercab +s, unless a stereo verion that looks twinish is released :-)

Edited by waymda
added second PC+